Author Topic: Plasma TV + SCV Cable Set-Top Box Connection  (Read 8008 times)

Offline nWo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Plasma TV + SCV Cable Set-Top Box Connection
« on: May 02, 2002, 01:34 »
Hi,

Planning to get a Plasma TV soon, but need some pointers on how to do the hookup to SCV Cable set-top box for TV viewing.

Can you just connect the output of the SCV cable set-top box to the input of the Plasma TV (just like normal TV)? Or do I need a VCR to act as an external tuner to do just that?

Hope you guys can help.

Offline jeffong

• You'll Never Walk Alone
Re:Plasma TV + SCV Cable Set-Top Box Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 06:28 »
I think most newer Plasma TV's would incorporate a TV tuner accessible via the regular RF connector either on the multi-media box that comes with the larger Plasma screens or on the TV itself for those smaller Sharp ones.  If you try to connect via the RCA connectors from the SCV set-top, then you will have to settle for mono sound as there's only 1 video and 1 audio jack behind the box.

Incidentally, after referring to the Panasonic Plasma pamphlet that I have on hand.  The Panasonic screens does not seem to incorporate a TV tuner and hence does not have a RF connector.  Instead, they provide for optional slot-type terminal boards which provides for different connector options like RCA, Component and DVI.  However, I do remember that the Philips and Pioneer models do have that separate multi-media box.  I will have to dig up all my Plasma pamphlets and verify this.l
« Last Edit: May 02, 2002, 06:42 by jeffong »
HDR Rulez - UHD-K8500 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zapitti One Mini
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Benq 5700
Denon 8500 | Denon 7200WA | Denon 4520 | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110
UHD BD Titles : Countless

Offline nWo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 07:09 »
Thanks jeffong for your reply.

I'm eyeing on the Fujitsu plasma, and it doesn't come with those multimedia boxes like Philips or Pioneer.

I've made a check on the SCV Cable set-top box, and indeed there is a white jack and yellow jack (presumably audio/video). I've been using the RF out of the set-top box all this while to connect to my regular CRT TV input, and was actually wondering if it can be connected to the Plasma this way. Have I been unable to get Stereo sound all this while with my regular CRT TV?

Okay, assuming that I do want Stereo sound, how should I connect it? Via a stereo VCR?

ie. SCV white box --> SCV Cable set-top box --> VCR --> Plasma?

Thanks.

Offline jeffong

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 07:20 »
Your assumption is correct if you want to get stereo output from the SCV set top box.  Unless you are getting a very good price for the Fujitsu, I would recommend that you compare it against the Toshiba, Pansonic and Pioneer Plasma screens.  If I'm didn't remember wrongly, Fujitsu screens are still based on an older technology that consumes more power than the newer screens.
HDR Rulez - UHD-K8500 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zapitti One Mini
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Benq 5700
Denon 8500 | Denon 7200WA | Denon 4520 | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110
UHD BD Titles : Countless