Author Topic: Consequences of no Dolby Vision on new TVs/Projectors?  (Read 593 times)

Offline jerome_the_lang

• Trade Count: (0)
Consequences of no Dolby Vision on new TVs/Projectors?
« on: January 14, 2019, 20:01 »
Can advise:

if buy new TV or new video projector, will it be a problem if no have dolby vision or HDR/HDR10/HDR10+?

Will screen look less than optimum?

Main System:
Sources: EMM Labs TSDX / DAC2X v2
Amplifiers: Sony TA-E1, TA-N1
Speakers: Sony SS-M9ED
Cables: Straightwire Crescendo and Serenade interconnects, Straightwire Serenade double run speaker cables

2nd System:
Sources: ELP Laser Turntable, Project RPM9.1x with Otofon 2M Bronze, Pass Labs Aleph Ono
Amplifiers: Pass Labs XP20, X350
Cables: Pro-Ject RCA CC Phono cable, Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, Straightwire Crescendo double run speaker cables

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
Re: Consequences of no Dolby Vision on new TVs/Projectors?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 21:09 »
Optimum Dolby Vision presentation is dependent on software media encoding. So if no DV... Not a disaster.
Got hybrid HLG HDR, even if it media is older tech stuff like DVD, u also can get hidden details n color dynamics... Of not until sibeh as high as those studio HDR encoded stuff la...

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:14 »
HLG is broadcast friendly HDR encoding - it wont work with DVD. Dunno where Yang gets his idea from.

HDR10 is the standard found in UHD BluRays. Virtually all modern 4K TVs and projectors (released - not sold) in the last 2 years have HDR10 and HLG.

Dolby Vision is dynamic HDR which varies the HDR map on a scene by scene basis - unlike static metadata HDR10 which is fixed at (1000/2000/4000/etc at the time of mastering). It is proprietary to Dolby and needs a (paid) licencing deal. LG, Sony and various others (HiSense?) support Dolby Vision.

HDR10+ is the kiam kana version - not really Open Source but pitched like it, started by Samsung and supported by Panasonic initially. From what I read, LG didn't like the idea of sending their processing algorithms to be evaluated as part of the HDR10+ licencing (even if free) so they said no thanks. Some new movies coming soon on HDR10+ but havent seen any yet.

And yes, Dolby Vision makes a big difference in the quality. Watch Black Panther and Last Jedi on a Dolby Vision enabled system (player and display) vs one without and the black levels are different/worse on the non DV system. I only managed to compensate for that with the auto tone mapping feature on the Panasonic 820
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32 »
HLG is broadcast friendly HDR encoding - it wont work with DVD. Dunno where Yang gets his idea from......
Strangely... when i activated the HDR function with my TV(Panasonic 49EX400) i get minute details in dark scenes displayed, barely visible if disengaged...both scenario with same COLOR/BRIGHTNESS/BACKLIGHT/CONTRAST values.

This type of effect is not HDR? 

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 14:02 »
Ok... I was trying to find out reasons to my "ODD-HDR" experience when viewing content that's not HDR encoded... and i found these 2 articles:
https://www.lifewire.com/dolby-vision-and-hdr10-4060427
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/sdr-to-hdr-conversion/

Both mentioned SDR-HDR upconversion. And could this be?
https://www.panasonic.com/sg/consumer/television-learn/article/hdr-premium.html

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 14:53 »
Is the upgradability to eARC important?
Main System:
Cables: Straightwire Crescendo and Serenade interconnects, Straightwire Serenade double run speaker cables

2nd System:
Sources: ELP Laser Turntable, Project RPM9.1x with Otofon 2M Bronze, Pass Labs Aleph Ono
Cables: Pro-Ject RCA CC Phono cable, Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, Straightwire Crescendo double run speaker cables

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 14:56 »
Which Panasonic Blu-ray player can I buy in sg?

Are the Pana DP-UB820 or UB420 available in sg?
Main System:

2nd System:

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 15:29 »
Is the upgradability to eARC important?
The ā€œeā€ in eARC stands for enhanced Audio Return Channel, and is a new standard feature of HDMI 2.1 that aims to provide the best possible audio resolution from your TV.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 15:29 »
Which Panasonic Blu-ray player can I buy in sg?

Are the Pana DP-UB820 or UB420 available in sg?
short answer. no!

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 18:16 »
Strangely... when i activated the HDR function with my TV(Panasonic 49EX400) i get minute details in dark scenes displayed, barely visible if disengaged...both scenario with same COLOR/BRIGHTNESS/BACKLIGHT/CONTRAST values.

This type of effect is not HDR?

HDR/HLG changes the gamma curves so it could explain why you may prefer the way it looks.
End of Line - Derezzed