Author Topic: Atmos Setup for Hdb living room  (Read 931 times)

Offline stryke

• Trade Count: (0)
Atmos Setup for Hdb living room
« on: January 10, 2019, 21:56 »
Hi all.

I wish to seek some advise for Atmos HT set up for my upcoming new home.

Picture shows the living room dimensions.

A few questions:

1) should I get a good 4k TV (65”-70ish”) or set up for a short throw projector with 100-120” screen plus a cheap 4k tv?
2) looking at Atmos setup. Was wondering if the space is big enough for a 7.1.2 /.4 setup or should I just get a 5.1.2.
3) am planning place the sofa about 2.5m from the tv to sofa (eye distance) and have the back surround at the back wall, either on the shelves of a built in cabinet or on stands. Or have a bar table setup behind the sofa and some bar stools. This is to give some distance between the primary seating position and the back wall for the back surround speakers.

And the side surrounds on the side beams on above ear levels, and 2 in ceiling speakers.

Alternatively if going for 5.1.2, just the usual 5.1 setup with 2 in ceiling speakers.

I will do some acoustic treatments using either canvas paintings or decorative fabric pads and carpets. Maybe a heavy curtain between the living room and the main hall area.

3) do you guys think that this room size and layout is suitable for Atmos setup?

4) I am looking into the Klipsch reference premier setup for the speakers, otherwise do you guys have other suggestions that are available in Singapore? My Budget is between 5-6k for the entire set up excluDING the screen.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 22:00 by stryke »

Offline wcseow

Re: Atmos Setup for Hdb living room
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:30 »
I am no expert but my living room space is about the same as yours. Recently moved from a 3.1 to 5.1.4 setup, with ceiling speakers. All I can say is can do and must do, difference is a lot!!

In fact, now i am trying to fit my even smaller study room of 2m x 2.7m to have that.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:48 »
the living room is kinda... Small. Less than 3sqm with lots of lights from the nearest windows. Either the screen is located at the bedroom wall or opposite, is going to affect the picture alot...

Offline kardtoon

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 16:38 »
A large TV might do better for you than a short throw projector. You have a large window to deal with and projector contrast can't beat a good TV.

I would consider the projector if TV watching is occasional and almost always at night.

Offline kenshin07

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 16:16 »
Hi

Welcome to xp, going for good 65" at least tv will be your best option. My current place is also in the living hall about the same size. Am using a 65" tv.

2) go for 4 atmos spk layout. Take this opportunity to do it since it a new place and ask your contractor to lay 4 cables for you is easier than later on when you need to add in another 2 more speakers will be a headache.

3) Room size is still okay for 4 atmos speaker layout.

4) speaker wise i can't commend much, you have to listen to the speaker whether you like what you hear. This is very personal. If you were to get an answer Klipsch speakers are good speakers to begin with especially for pure HT. If music is also have to factor in then speakers like quad, kef, dynaudio etc does perform well.

Do not forget about sub, it play a vital roles esp for home theater. Local popular sub are rythmim, starke, kk jl audio. You can have a listen to this sub before deciding.

5-6k is a nice budget to begin with. It good to pay some xp bro a visit to have a better understanding. 😀
AVR: Denon AVC 8500
Power amp: Aragon 8008BB, Proceed 2/3
speaker: Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | PSB Imagine mini | Atmos spk AG diva SE
Sub: starke dual sub36
EQ: Minidsp DDRC-24 dirca live
Player: Oppo 203
Cable: AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 16:51 »
Hi all.

I wish to seek some advise for Atmos HT set up for my upcoming new home.

Picture shows the living room dimensions.

A few questions:

1) should I get a good 4k TV (65”-70ish”) or set up for a short throw projector with 100-120” screen plus a cheap 4k tv?
2) looking at Atmos setup. Was wondering if the space is big enough for a 7.1.2 /.4 setup or should I just get a 5.1.2.
3) am planning place the sofa about 2.5m from the tv to sofa (eye distance) and have the back surround at the back wall, either on the shelves of a built in cabinet or on stands. Or have a bar table setup behind the sofa and some bar stools. This is to give some distance between the primary seating position and the back wall for the back surround speakers.

And the side surrounds on the side beams on above ear levels, and 2 in ceiling speakers.

Alternatively if going for 5.1.2, just the usual 5.1 setup with 2 in ceiling speakers.

I will do some acoustic treatments using either canvas paintings or decorative fabric pads and carpets. Maybe a heavy curtain between the living room and the main hall area.

3) do you guys think that this room size and layout is suitable for Atmos setup?

4) I am looking into the Klipsch reference premier setup for the speakers, otherwise do you guys have other suggestions that are available in Singapore? My Budget is between 5-6k for the entire set up excluDING the screen.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Welcome to XP :)
All bros here learnt through their HT Upgrade Journey and the fundamentals is important which
is suggested to plan and lay well all the speaker and sub cables position ( hidden for WAF -neat in place )

1) Get a good 4k TV (65”-70ish”) for day viewing and same time lay new spare 2 HDMI Cables.
   ( standby for a a short throw projector with 100-120” screen for future upgrade - A screen and 4k PJ eats up a lot of the budget )
    100% blackout curtains in lving hall, a motorized screen pull down in front of the TV.

2) looking at Atmos setup. Build a basic SOLID 5.1.2  (lay cables for 7.2.4 upgrade future)

Klipsch Speakers excels for HT so it's a go. :)
Enjoy HT.
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.2.4
AVR: Flagship Onkyo AV Network Receiver RZ-3100 11.2
Speakers: Klipsch KG 4.5 Klipsch Tractrix® Horn Technology
Side\Rear Surrounds: Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
In-Ceiling Yamaha NS-IC800 & NS-IC400WH Front\Rear ATMOS
Subwoofers: 1. Rythmik FV18 Direct Servo 18" ported with 900WRMS amplifier
2. Ported Slam!
Ultimate Cinema!: Motorized 16:9\2:35 150" Screen
BenQ W1070+ Short Throw 3D DLP 1080p
Samsung 3D LED UA60ES8000J
Egreat A5 Media Player