Author Topic: Magnepan owner in Singapore  (Read 10144 times)

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
Re: Magnepan owner in Singapore
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2019, 16:15 »
Someone told me FM acoustics power amp is not a good match with Magnepan? Anyone with this two brand experience ?

Offline lcheetec

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2019, 13:19 »
Just found out the tweeter repair kit is in country, so waiting for delivery. And it's a super long weekend, so might be Tuesday.

I also hooked up the speakers (SMGc's, used). One side works beautifully, no buzz, just wonderful music (using the CD from the Nov hifi show). The other side definitely has problems in the highs, so either tweeter or cap. The mids and lows are all ok, again no buzzing, so I think it's likely the tweeter. I'll also be investigating electrical connectivity first, just to make sure.

Listening to the working side mono, with a Dayton amp bridged to mono and an LG Blu-ray playing the CD. Enjoying it. My daughter walked in, and she said "what a large bluetooth speaker!"

Daniel
Upper Changi

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 13:37 by lcheetec »

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2019, 17:03 »
I connected it up this morning, and it's tweeting again!

Now waiting for the Super77 to dry a little more before I apply the Miloxane/FastBond. Then I'll staple the socks, re-attach the sides, legs, then voila!

Sent from my vivo 1813 using Tapatalk

Offline Fai

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2019, 17:54 »
You can use a light layer of acetone to remove the discolouration on the bonding layer for the wires.

If you want to get a cleaner look that is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2019, 19:00 »
Thanks for looking and the suggestion, @Fai. I'm just very thrilled the work paid off.

Can't wait to hook both up. Will bring back memories of my first pair almost 30 years ago.

Daniel

Sent from my vivo 1813 using Tapatalk

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2019, 21:37 »
wow! well done... now i need to get my butt moving to fix my MG1.5.

Offline malsound

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2019, 14:01 »
OMG :o, those connect look like can do with a good acid waste.

why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2019, 20:00 »
Wow .... seem like a lot of work to repair it, thumb up :)

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2019, 20:01 »
It was fun!

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2019, 01:08 »
Someone told me FM acoustics power amp is not a good match with Magnepan? Anyone with this two brand experience ?

I heard the AS Saleman told my FM acoustics and Maggie wasn’t a good match due to the “impedance problem” , was worry that I brought the wrong pre/power amp for the MG 3.7i...... but After listen for 2 week , I think FM acoustics/Maggie although might not be a perfect matching combination, but is not a bad match either, sound quality is quite impressive actually, the FM acoustics mono block make my Maggie 3.7i mid bass become as punching as box speaker, sound is very lively and organic, I heard detail that I never heard before from many of the CD I familiar at, all the music I play sound so realistic , like Musician is really performing inside my music room ; but the downside of this combination is I feel the sound is little too “real”   too neutral and direct , it lack the sweetness and smoothness of my Cary 845 tube amp , and deep bass wasn’t as extend and deep as my Jeff Rowland 500W class D MONO BLOCK., maybe because my pre power is lowest end of FM acoustics, the higher end FM acoustics might not have this problem I hear .....now I am interested to know how Maggie will sound with ARC , heard this 2 brand are perfect match for each other ::)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:55 by joamonte »

Offline jonchew38

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2019, 07:52 »
I think the Arc may be a good match. Most tube amps do well with Maggie. The pass lab was also synergistic with the Maggies.

Offline gsubash

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2019, 22:53 »
Congratulations on the 3.71. I am running the 3.6R on a Mcintosh MC500 SS amp and added two Rel Strata 3's for the low end. Amazing speakers, cant get enough of the air and transparency. With the subs, the dynamics are not too bad. Now thinking of some room treatment options.
Cheers

Offline ren1316

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2019, 04:38 »
Anybody using LRS? Would appreciate your views/comments. Available in Singapore? Price?

Offline Fai

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25 »
What’s your crossover frequency for the Strata 3? Do you use a HPF for the 3.6 and do you use a 12 or 24db slope?

Always curious on how others integrate their subs to Maggie’s and the settings.

Thanks.

Congratulations on the 3.71. I am running the 3.6R on a Mcintosh MC500 SS amp and added two Rel Strata 3's for the low end. Amazing speakers, cant get enough of the air and transparency. With the subs, the dynamics are not too bad. Now thinking of some room treatment options.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gsubash

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16 »
The RELs can take high level inputs from the power amp  in parallel to the speaker outputs.  The subs kick in at about 45 Hertz and there is no High / Low pass filters in this setup as both the sub and the speakers receive the full range of signals. Tuning for each sub is individual due to placement etc. The RELs are not too much in your face and quite musical so they integrate quite well.

A picture of my setup below.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk