Author Topic: Magnepan owner in Singapore  (Read 4790 times)

Offline micktal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Re: Magnepan owner in Singapore
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 10:45 »
i own the 1.7 since about 2011 and i love them for the soundstage, detail and true to life imaging, especially for classical music.  No issues with humidity because i keep them in air conditioned room and also use a dehumidifier regularly.

I would agree that they are not so suitable for Pop / Rock music. Because they don't give you the overemphasised bass, and also because in Pop/rock concerts you are not listening "live" but through dynamic box speakers, so they will sound different.

I am thinking of upgrading to the 3.7i. are they much bigger or better than the 1.7? Is there a trade-in option? Care to share who is the dealer in SG or do you have to import from US, as I heard the dealer in Adelphi no longer carries.

Offline malsound

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58 »
You can talk to siva from absolute sound he use to have a pair of 3.5 driven with VTL 225 or 300 but don't ask him about how many tweeter he headbang to hell.  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 14:14 by malsound »

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 17:00 »
i own the 1.7 since about 2011 and i love them for the soundstage, detail and true to life imaging, especially for classical music.  No issues with humidity because i keep them in air conditioned room and also use a dehumidifier regularly.

I would agree that they are not so suitable for Pop / Rock music. Because they don't give you the overemphasised bass, and also because in Pop/rock concerts you are not listening "live" but through dynamic box speakers, so they will sound different.

I am thinking of upgrading to the 3.7i. are they much bigger or better than the 1.7? Is there a trade-in option? Care to share who is the dealer in SG or do you have to import from US, as I heard the dealer in Adelphi no longer carries.

the ribbon tweeter in the 3 series makes a great difference from the QR in the in 1 series.

and also you get more of the bass, provided you drive it with beefy amps.

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 17:36 »

TAS appointed a dealer to sell the Maggie , although TAS is still the distributer that arrange the order and transportation.

AudioRev
158 Kallang Way, #05-11 Performance Building
8223 3547

Maggie price in SG is expensive , I ask before , it is about $600 more than Hong Kong , and TAS service is really quite lousy IMO , my speaker already reach shop this morning but they have to wait till Friday than can deliver...maybe if I buy FM they will able to deliver when ever I want , perhap Maggie is too cheap for them to  put in effort , LOL ;D

I heard the 1.7(non I) compare the 3.7 (non I) in dealer room, 1.7 is quite good, but the 3.7 sound is more effortless and the ribbon tweeter transient and attack is much faster then the 1.7 QR tweeter , overall the 3.7 is a more relax sounding, with deeper bass and able to handle wider dynamic range the 1.7 , although 1.7 sound a little bit more coherent between high and bass, mid bass also a tad more punchy , but still 3.7 is a better speaker  IMHO
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 17:43 by joamonte »

Offline Vinylfan

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 19:21 »
May I know how many years you have use the 3.6R? Any problem so far?
I used them 2-3 years. No problem except the crossover boxes got rusted due to humidity. And tweeter fuse blew once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 19:46 »
I used a pair of Jadis tube monoblock running at 80watt per channel at pure Class A and the Maggie made my amp pants. Most tube amps cannot rock the Maggie. I used a 500 watt Bryston later but I didn't like the synergy. That was the reason why I sold it.

The Jeff Rowland 501 claim to have 45A output max, hope it drive well.

Actually I am more excited about how it would sound with the Cary 211 mono block , push pull 300B driving 845 tube , 50watt class A/ 200 watt class B , the ribbon should sound nice with triode power tube
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 20:50 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 20:11 »
Early Maggies & Apogees reminds me of a bad marriage. You want the woman so much marry her & discovered that your enslave to her. In short unless you’ve got the right amp for the Maggies you’ll be caught up in changing amps just for the sake of getting them to sing which to me is mooted point. Will end up as divorce. Lol

Offline malsound

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 20:23 »
TAS appointed a dealer to sell the Maggie , although TAS is still the distributer that arrange the order and transportation.

AudioRev
158 Kallang Way, #05-11 Performance Building
8223 3547

Maggie price in SG is expensive , I ask before , it is about $600 more than Hong Kong , and TAS service is really quite lousy IMO , my speaker already reach shop this morning but they have to wait till Friday than can deliver...maybe if I buy FM they will able to deliver when ever I want , perhap Maggie is too cheap for them to  put in effort , LOL ;D

I heard the 1.7(non I) compare the 3.7 (non I) in dealer room, 1.7 is quite good, but the 3.7 sound is more effortless and the ribbon tweeter transient and attack is much faster then the 1.7 QR tweeter , overall the 3.7 is a more relax sounding, with deeper bass and able to handle wider dynamic range the 1.7 , although 1.7 sound a little bit more coherent between high and bass, mid bass also a tad more punchy , but still 3.7 is a better speaker  IMHO

No need, order the 30.7 chinese dividers you sure get fast delivery.   ;D

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 21:31 »
I own the MG1.4 and Apogee planer many year ago, I give out because I feel it don’t have enough bass punch for the pop music at that time , but I seldom listen pop music nowadays , so I started to miss the soundstage and lifelike presentation of planer speaker....before purchase the 3.7i I went to the dealer showrooms to have a feel of the bass , yes agree the bass is not as emphasised as box speaker , but the 3.7i do give enough bass for most music, in fact I feel the bass is much nature than box design...

I had a jolida 60W integrated driving a MG 1.6 then. I like this pairing alot and thought it gave vocals and string instruments a more natural feel. I upgraded to pass pre power later on and that was a very good match. I thought string instruments and lifelike size vocals were its strength then. If not for the size of the panels, I would still love to own a pair of maggies... I suspect that down the road, i would gravitate towards the Maggies again.

Offline 77006688

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 13:31 »
speaker placement is very important to get the bass too.

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 22:57 »
Enjoying music now

My 3.7i

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 23:00 »
The dealer ordered wrong color for me , running in now..... thanks to the room acoustic design , now bass and tonal balance is already quite good, it is the soundstage and imaging I still cannot decide where is the compromise point, some position I got very good soundstage but diffuse imaging , some positions is another way round.....position keep changing pass 2 days due to seasoning of speaker , differences recording and change of equipment , but it is fun😬
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 23:01 by joamonte »

Offline malsound

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 23:43 »
You mean tweeters on the inside vs tweeter on the outside.

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 13:13 »
You mean tweeters on the inside vs tweeter on the outside.

No, toe in angle and listening distance

Offline andylovesaudio

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 19:20 »
What’s the size of your listening room? Thanks