Author Topic: Magnepan owner in Singapore  (Read 7269 times)

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
Magnepan owner in Singapore
« on: January 05, 2019, 22:04 »
My new 3.7i should arrive next week , I know there are a few members in XP using Maggie or panel speaker , care to share your experience ;D

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
Re: Magnepan owner in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06 »
Congrats. The Maggie were my first panel panels and to date, I have always a soft spot of them. If you switched from a box speaker to this, you may need to get use to the bass. Bass is very tight but may tend to be a lower in quantity and the trick is to vary its distance from the back wall. Toe in to taste to get your sweet spot. I think augmenting the bass with a sub or dual subs would yield dividends. Room treatment would differ from conventional box speakers.
You may also consider doing away with side walls treatment as they make negligible impact.

Offline Vinylfan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32 »
Congrats. Looking forward to some pictures. I had 3.6R way back. Nice transparency. But difficult to get the bass out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline malsound

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:22 »
Give it plenty of juice, after market stand make a diff but most looks ugly . Play until nothing to play can change fuses.  :D

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:27 by malsound »

Offline malsound

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:40 »
Oh, very important do not allow strong wind or stupid friends or blow on on true ribbon tweeters. :-X

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 22:08 »
still sticking with magnepan.

recently gotten a pair of MMG-W and MMG-C. Trying out the tri-center concept.

U gotten the 3.7i from absolute? I thought they stopped carrying the brand?

last year, the tweeter on my MG1.5 died. Called them up, they dont do repair for broken QR tweeters.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 22:10 by simic »

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 22:29 »
I've owned the Maggies too and I love the unboxy sound. Perfect match for high powered Naim. What I like is that the speakers are easy to shift and you can play with the positioning without breaking your back. Remember to change the biwiring stock jumper plate to copper cable.

Peeve? Our humidity (you definitely need aircon) makes maintenance of this speaker  a  challenge. 300b tube lover can forget it
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 22:31 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 23:11 »
Don’t know how maggies are today, It requires lots of juice for it to wake up & it’s got a tight sweet spot not to mention room sensitive especially smaller listening rooms. It needs space to breath. Oh for me asthetics are important too, don’t like the looks of 2 big partition like objects to look at. lol

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 23:24 »
Congrats. The Maggie were my first panel panels and to date, I have always a soft spot of them. If you switched from a box speaker to this, you may need to get use to the bass. Bass is very tight but may tend to be a lower in quantity and the trick is to vary its distance from the back wall. Toe in to taste to get your sweet spot. I think augmenting the bass with a sub or dual subs would yield dividends. Room treatment would differ from conventional box speakers.
You may also consider doing away with side walls treatment as they make negligible impact.

I own the MG1.4 and Apogee planer many year ago, I give out because I feel it don’t have enough bass punch for the pop music at that time , but I seldom listen pop music nowadays , so I started to miss the soundstage and lifelike presentation of planer speaker....before purchase the 3.7i I went to the dealer showrooms to have a feel of the bass , yes agree the bass is not as emphasised as box speaker , but the 3.7i do give enough bass for most music, in fact I feel the bass is much nature than box design...

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 23:26 »
Congrats. Looking forward to some pictures. I had 3.6R way back. Nice transparency. But difficult to get the bass out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I know how many years you have use the 3.6R? Any problem so far?

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 23:29 »
Give it plenty of juice, after market stand make a diff but most looks ugly . Play until nothing to play can change fuses.  :D

Going to use either Cary 211 or Jeff Rowland 501 and 201 , too bad the 3.7i cannot do bi amp...

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 23:30 »
I've owned the Maggies too and I love the unboxy sound. Perfect match for high powered Naim. What I like is that the speakers are easy to shift and you can play with the positioning without breaking your back. Remember to change the biwiring stock jumper plate to copper cable.

Peeve? Our humidity (you definitely need aircon) makes maintenance of this speaker  a  challenge. 300b tube lover can forget it

I like the soundstage and lifelike imaging , may I know which model you using now?

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 23:37 »
I used the 1.7 last time and has since sold it. Nearly bought the 3.7 but it was too imposing in my living room.. You need a high current powerful solid state amp to drive.

If you have a large room, the panels double up as a accoutic panel for your box speakers
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 23:41 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 23:41 »
Don’t know how maggies are today, It requires lots of juice for it to wake up & it’s got a tight sweet spot not to mention room sensitive especially smaller listening rooms. It needs space to breath. Oh for me asthetics are important too, don’t like the looks of 2 big partition like objects to look at. lol

New model come with a oval shape base, my pair look something like this

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 23:46 »
I used the 1.7 last time and has since sold it. Nearly bought the 3.7 but it was too imposing in my living room.. You need a high current powerful solid state amp to drive.

If you have a large room, the panels double up as a accoutic panel for your box speakers

The Jeff Rowland 501 claim to have 45A output max, hope it drive well.

Actually I am more excited about how it would sound with the Cary 211 mono block , push pull 300B driving 845 tube , 50watt class A/ 200 watt class B , the ribbon should sound nice with triode power tube