Author Topic: JL F112 to Fv15hp to Seaton F18i  (Read 5115 times)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: JL F112 still a good buy?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 22:23 »
Haha, not really la bro, midbass is the one that will give u the heart attack , like a needle piercing the heart if it is Super intense, Long exposures will lead to fatigue... infrasonic bass won’t... infrasonic ones will make u “feel” Kan Cheong...

You are right. I remember listening to the KK and watch The Legend. I also felt my heart giving up. So “Kan Cheong” bass is like those super spooky and suspense like watching a really scary horror movie, right?

Online ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 08:24 »

Yea, it’s like you hear the roar of a lion, the animals get intimidated, that’s why lion is the king of the jungle... one single roar and all the animals will flee. That roar contains infrasonic bass, intense from 20hz down Low.... u can actually feel the bass when a lion roars, can’t imagine T Rex roars in the prehistoric times... of course none of us heard a real T. rex roar,  so sound mix from Engineers on T Rex roars doesn’t sound and feel right to me, especially those like the Jurassic world kinda movies... it’s just rumbling away... doesn’t sound right to me... , then again, nobody knows how a T. rex roar sounds... hahaha

Online ronildoq

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 08:33 »
The Kan jeong bass analogy is great and funny!! May I join for the next audit pls?  :)

Yea it is, not sure how to describe it, this is probably the Asian style of describing it! Haha

Sure will invite you when it’s ready...

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 16:14 »
Thank you very much bro  :) this feels so exciting!

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 18:36 »
Hi guys, just wanted to ask if a used jl audio f112v1 is still a good buy at this point in time? Or should I be looking at other subs?

My room is 3m x 4m. I have a kk808 sitting on the 3m side of the room. It does the midbass job well but I can't help but notice that I'm missing the low low rumble like those 15 and 18 " sub can do easily.

Should I get the f112 and put it on the other side of the 3m wall, and relocate the kk8 to be diagonally opposite the f112? A 15" sub would be very tight to fit in the room. May need to close the gap between left and right speakers.

I feel that with F112 price point, you can get another dual sub setup or another big single sub that can go very low e.g seaton 15" or 18". Suggest not to go with F112.  =)

Offline yanwei

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 18:53 »
I feel that with F112 price point, you can get another dual sub setup or another big single sub that can go very low e.g seaton 15" or 18". Suggest not to go with F112.  =)

Yeah. I also think so. But the F112 I mentioned was used so the price not so bad. In the end, after reading some of the comments and also some reviews, I decided to go with dual Seaton F18.

Now waiting for the subs to arrive (supposedly 3 weeks to ship out and another 1 week to arrive) and also waiting to visit bro ronildoq place to experience the kan cheong bass.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang
HT setup: Emotiva, Seaton, SVS, Sony

Offline rayleh

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 18:56 »
If possible go for dual subs, it will make a significant diff.

Offline yanwei

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 19:13 »
If possible go for dual subs, it will make a significant diff.

Yes bro. I am now waiting for Mark to ship the two F18i. Coming from a single kk, I always feel I can sort of localise where my sub is during bass scenes even after Dirac calibration. This time round, I don't think there will be such issues. I'm planning to place the two subs in front left and right of the room since no other space to put two 18" monster subs liao. No sub crawl or anything.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang

Offline yanwei

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 19:29 »
Has anyone heard the deep sea sound mariana? Just noticed that they have a 18" sub that measures 3 " shorter in width and height. Slightly more expensive than the F18 at 2.4k usd each.

Offline yanwei

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2019, 01:00 »
Just an update:
Mark will be shipping out the 2 F18i this week. Hopefully the subs will reach here in another week's time.

I also got a fv15hp from peng to pair with the kk8 for the time being. The low bass from the rythmik is nice! Can't believe my ears when I watched Edge of tomorrow starting scene. Explosions now have a very nice hard punch from the kk followed by the low rumble from the fv15hp.

This makes me wonder if I can place the kk8 behind the center speaker and the 2 F18i flanking the left and right speakers. This is to keep the attack from the kk and the lowness from the F18 together.

Online ronildoq

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2019, 08:36 »
You might have a problem pairing the KK808 with the seatons, pretty sure the KK808 cannot cope, I was having the kk12, it couldn’t cope with the f18, and I was using rythmik fv15hp well, 3 different makes, one each to handle a specific frequency

The good with this:
1) initially it felt as if all is good, each handling a specific frequency where it’s strong. It gave all the necessary Low rumble, speed from midbass and depth

The problems
1) very difficult and time consuming to integrate the 3, one of it being ported
2) the mix of the sounds from 3 different make gave a “rojak” sound, coherence was missing though measurements in the amplitude response was good
3) fatigue after Long run. It just hits and go, just SPLs , no proper  bass imaging due to lack of coherence
4) time aligning with mains was a another headache
5) couldn’t push the kk12 subs as it bottoms up despite a high pass filter, the lower subs was bringing the entire system down

I went through the above process 11/2 years back, in the end I sold my kk and rythmik and got in another pair of seatons f18. No turning back after that

Trust me the seatons can pound with speed, u just need the right placement and EQ to bring out the best.

Congrats on your pair ! Let me know if u need help, I’m familiar with the f18

Offline yanwei

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2019, 21:38 »
Just a quick update:
Duo F18 have shipped today. Estimated arrival is next Thursday. Shipping weight: 254lbs omg crazy weight.

When these two arrive, the kk8 will be sold and the rythmik fv15hp will be shifted to parents room. This way, we will just need to deal with 2 F18 in the room.

Online ronildoq

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2019, 07:47 »
Just a quick update:
Duo F18 have shipped today. Estimated arrival is next Thursday. Shipping weight: 254lbs omg crazy weight.

When these two arrive, the kk8 will be sold and the rythmik fv15hp will be shifted to parents room. This way, we will just need to deal with 2 F18 in the room.

Congratulations! That’s not too bad for the waiting time :) happy for u, time to enjoy soon . There is a LF knob at the back, use it post EQ to boost deep bass from 30hz down for the electrostatic goosebumps

Offline yanwei

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2019, 15:27 »
Congratulations! That’s not too bad for the waiting time :) happy for u, time to enjoy soon . There is a LF knob at the back, use it post EQ to boost deep bass from 30hz down for the electrostatic goosebumps

Ya! Heng no need wait too long. A bit kan cheong dealing with Mark because he's a one man show and we're used to efficiency like Peng or KEC kind where you order and stuff arrive quickly. Anyway, the new amp is ice power so don't know how different is it compared to the speaker power master slave amp. Now both subs will have its own amp.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2019, 17:23 »
Just a quick update:

congrats bro! Nice, SEATON makes awesome subs (Sadly not so renowned in SG)
and IMO, is THE SUB to beat :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 18:39 by sevenz »