Author Topic: JL F112 still a good buy?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline yanwei

• Trade Count: (+3)
Re: JL F112 still a good buy?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 19:32 »
If need to get a sub which dig deep then another SB2000 or 2 x SW-12 should not be in my consideration? Currently using SB12-NSD and thought of going dual.

That was my initial thinking before I heard about Seaton subs since my entire setup including height speakers was Svs. Now I think I want to go for the 15" Seatons since they fit and I can get 4 15" drivers in the room without pissing off the wife.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang
HT setup: Emotiva, Ken Kriesel, SVS, Sony

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 20:51 »
Bro ronildoq, thanks for the invite. I'll definitely pay you a visit when your reno is complete. Been looking forward to listening to your setup and also can learn from you the house curve settings. I have been following your thread and instead of using the Dirac target curve, I am using your instructions on how to create a house curve. There's a huge improvement but I think the kk8 is not able to supply low bass that's why I want something bigger.

Initially I wanted svs subs to match with the rest of the speakers which are svs. But after reading some reviews and comments that ppl who have upgraded from rythmik, svs, jl, they find that Seaton offers more for less money.

Theb when I read your posts about kan cheong bass and bass that can be felt and not heard hence not too neighbour unfriendly, all this makes me want to experience your setup.

I have further realised that I can fit 1 Seaton HPi+ and slave so I will most likely be going that path. Now just waiting for the quote from Mark. It will be a blind buy but I think should be safe since I'm used to sealed sub like kk8 already. And I want more deep tissue massage!

I’m sure this investment will bring you a big smile , the pairing with kk8 would be awesome , High pass the kk8 for upper midbass only, and enjoy the best of both worlds with fast deep bass and attacking midbass... I’ve tried this combination before, it’s a match made in heaven

I’ll Pm you when my place is ready... just collecting a few more panels today to work as atmos diffusors

You gotta be very patient with mark, he is slow with response , try contacting him on FAcebook instead, he is quite responsive there

But the wait is worth it....

Offline Yuanathan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 23:22 »
I'd advise against going with Seaton unless you are willing to go on long waits without notice from Mark. From payment to delivery, took 6 months for me. I recently got the first 2 pairs of the new F18i subs from him, with the new amps we no longer require to run master slave. It's really frustrating for a local who is used to getting things fast and having visibility of the project. What's good about buying from Mark is the price and the sub performance. His price w/ freight is probably the lowest, other than black friday JTR sales, if you're buying 18" subs direct from USA and as pointed above, the subs are really of good quality and packaging is 'bullet proof'. If you can wait, and have the patience then you won't be disappointed, but take note that many on avsforum are still waiting on Mark to respond to them too. FB messaging works best for me. I hope this helps? I feel that you should consider local option or audition others first before sinking the money.

Offline synthesis

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 12:18 »
That was my initial thinking before I heard about Seaton subs since my entire setup including height speakers was Svs. Now I think I want to go for the 15" Seatons since they fit and I can get 4 15" drivers in the room without pissing off the wife.
4 x 15" in 3x4m......
Power to your wife  :o
Good 12" can go down below honest 20Hz if you want to save space.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 12:38 »
I'd advise against going with Seaton unless you are willing to go on long waits without notice from Mark. From payment to delivery, took 6 months for me. I recently got the first 2 pairs of the new F18i subs from him, with the new amps we no longer require to run master slave. It's really frustrating for a local who is used to getting things fast and having visibility of the project. What's good about buying from Mark is the price and the sub performance. His price w/ freight is probably the lowest, other than black friday JTR sales, if you're buying 18" subs direct from USA and as pointed above, the subs are really of good quality and packaging is 'bullet proof'. If you can wait, and have the patience then you won't be disappointed, but take note that many on avsforum are still waiting on Mark to respond to them too. FB messaging works best for me. I hope this helps? I feel that you should consider local option or audition others first before sinking the money.

Wow, that is a rather unfortunate experience, I’m really lucky indeed, I ordered twice, first batch master slave, it arrived within 3 weeks, shipping was 1 week with customs clearance. Second batch master slave f18 again, but took 1 month to arrive . 6 months for u is like way too Long.

Agree with u there is always a risk when shipping overseas. Imagine if being shipped with a faulty unit with no local support, very high risk indeed.

Maybe it’s wise to check on delivery times if really keen to go for the seatons. Or some form of arrangement where deposit is paid first and the balance once u get the shipping tracking details etc...

I’ve dealt with mark on few occasions, he guided me on many aspects on subwoofer, a lot of skills were acquired in the process, nice guy. Hopefully he is able to clear his backlog and deliver goods promptly , otherwise consumers will lose confidence

Offline yanwei

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20 »
I'd advise against going with Seaton unless you are willing to go on long waits without notice from Mark.

Hi bro, I have just finished a lengthy conversation with Mark on FB messenger. He mentioned that the F18i will be shipped out within 3-4 weeks after ordered is placed. Hopefully should reach here by 4-6 weeks. I've placed an order for a pair of F18i as well. Hopefully it doesn't take as long to arrive.

How is the F18i working out for you? Did it meet your expectations?
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 13:42 »
Hi bro, I have just finished a lengthy conversation with Mark on FB messenger. He mentioned that the F18i will be shipped out within 3-4 weeks after ordered is placed. Hopefully should reach here by 4-6 weeks. I've placed an order for a pair of F18i as well. Hopefully it doesn't take as long to arrive.

Congrats on your new toy !! Good to know mark is well and goods will be delivered 3-4weeks and not 6 months... hopefully.... enjoy !!

Offline Yuanathan

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 21:22 »

Good for u man. Other than the waiting time and the slow response from him, the sub is just clean and powerful. I live in a maisonette and it has enough output to shake my bedroom windows at the 2nd floor during EOT opening scene. This is at -15 trim on my NAD after Dirac calibration. Hope things work out better for u than me.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline yanwei

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 22:33 »
That's great! I need to feel that missing rumble that the kk8 is not able to provide. I guess the hardest thing is the waiting. I hope to give a short review after the subs have arrived since there are not many reviews on this F18i online. Will be using Dirac to calibrate as well.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 13:56 »
Great and happy for you ! Hope the wait is worth....

The KK is only good for midbass..... you need a sub that can dig deep for ULF, then you will feel its complete. Midbass alone is only 1/4 of the story with Ken Kreisel subs.....

The maximum SPL is not a very reliable way to judge the impact of a subwoofer, maximum extension down low on a properly time aligned subwoofer is way more critical and will bring you much greater body impact and seamless connection with the mains. This area is very important, the balance between upper and lower bass. The seatons can dig deep and with speed and accuracy down low freq, low distortion and enough headroom with extension to the single digit.... Im very sure you will love it, if you manage to bring out the best in the subs.... this means having very good time alignment between speakers and subs.... this part of the story is critical.... that is where your set up will shine

Offline whitesox

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 22:56 »
If need to get a sub which dig deep then another SB2000 or 2 x SW-12 should not be in my consideration? Currently using SB12-NSD and thought of going dual.

Bro,
I would suggest you spend the time to walk into KEC. Ask them to demo for you 2xSB2000 (12") vs. 1xSB4000 (13.5").
Ask them to play 2 movies, you can compare these two SVS subwoofers... then surely you will know the difference between loud bass vs deep bass.....

Just 3 more steps from KEC,  take a look JL product at Sound Decision .... beware a lot of strong poison there
 ;D

Offline rayleh

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 23:39 »
Decided to try out 2 x SW12 as there are null beside the MLP. Bass at other seating locations seem weak.

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14 »
Bro,
I would suggest you spend the time to walk into KEC. Ask them to demo for you 2xSB2000 (12") vs. 1xSB4000 (13.5").
Ask them to play 2 movies, you can compare these two SVS subwoofers... then surely you will know the difference between loud bass vs deep bass.....

Just 3 more steps from KEC,  take a look JL product at Sound Decision .... beware a lot of strong poison there
 ;D

Brother Whitesox. Can you classified for me how you consider a Loud Bass & deep bass should sound and feel and what is the feq range for both loud bass and deep bass...  ??? ???

Offline whitesox

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 08:05 »
Brother Whitesox. Can you classified for me how you consider a Loud Bass & deep bass should sound and feel and what is the feq range for both loud bass and deep bass...  ??? ???

Hi bro,
As I mentioned earlier, Walk into KEC, experience by yourself better.
 ;D

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21 »
Hi bro,
As I mentioned earlier, Walk into KEC, experience by yourself better.
 ;D

I am sorry that i might had ask some stupid question  :'( as i had little experience understand loud & deep bass. So by understand how loud bass & deep bass should sounded than if i go to KEC i can know what kind of bass consider loud bass and which kind of bass consider deep bass.. :'(
But from some friends advise is to go for bigger driver and box the bigger the merrier.... :o  :o...