Author Topic: Storage Media for Audio / Video but not looking for NAS  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Storage Media for Audio / Video but not looking for NAS
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 13:44 »

Did you just try to reduce transmit power via firmware, or get a shorter antenna?

On one of my devices, I actually removed the antenna fully and it still works.. sounds better too.

Yes , I disable it if firmware allows.  I take a further step of terminating it at the RF outlets.  There are, however, media box that comes with fixed antenna, I power off these by removing the power adapter jack until I need them.

(Audio)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 13:57 »
Actually your best bet is to buy a powerful NAS.   Like the QNAP TS-1685 which is a Xeon based NAS.

From this point on, you don't even need a PC.   The NAS with the powerful CPU will runs anything you feed it, Roon Server, JRMC, Miniserver natively....you will be delighted.   I tested it...it's very good.  In fact, the QNAP NAS is so powerful, I got access to all my music via iPhone , bluetoothed to my Sony WX1000 M3 headphones....anywhere around the world!!

The only thing stopping me from using this powerful NAS in my main system is that my music server being way more powerful....AMD Threadripper 2990WX, 64GB rams, Samsung PM1725A SSD.

(Audio)

Offline Relax

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 17:39 »
Sorry for the confusion..
like I said, I have a NAS which I connect direct to the router and stream movies directly to my hometheatre in the living room.
As for my music listening, i listen via the PC on my headphone system. My PC is wirelessly connected to my router and i found I cant have a good reception when using the PC internal device.. the transmisson is very slow and i suspect the due to PC seating in the corner of study room.
Also since I need a storage space for my photos, might as well get a new storage media.

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 17:49 »
like I said, I have a NAS which I connect direct to the router and stream movies directly to my hometheatre in the living room.
As for my music listening, i listen via the PC on my headphone system. My PC is wirelessly connected to my router and i found I cant have a good reception when using the PC internal device.. the transmisson is very slow and i suspect the due to PC seating in the corner of study room.
Also since I need a storage space for my photos, might as well get a new storage media.
The least outlay in money is connect your desktop which connected via wireless to wired mode by pulling a long Ethernet cable from router to your desktop. You can save photos back to your NAS and also stream music directly without dropout.

Offline Relax

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 18:02 »
would love to do that.. but it will be an ugly sight..
Or maybe when I decided to sell this house when both kids are married and i have to downgrade to a smaller hdb unit..

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Storage Media for Audio / Video but not looking for NAS
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 18:09 »
would love to do that.. but it will be an ugly sight..
Or maybe when I decided to sell this house when both kids are married and i have to downgrade to a smaller hdb unit..
Not really if you do trunking and placed it along the  corners neatly. Perhaps you can explore that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Relax

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 18:17 »
thank everyone for suggestions..
Will consider carefully before deciding..

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 12:44 »
If you can't run a network cable all the way to the NAS, then how about installing a wifi extender for the PC to get it nearer, or access point?

Both should solve the issue with minimal cost.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 21:19 »

Change the Wi-Fi card in your PC to better ones that support AC and dual/Tri-band. I always recommend Asus brand. Upgrade the router to Asus router like RT-AC88U (get second hand one will do) or if you have the budget to spare...You can also add Mesh units to cover the blind spot if you intend to go the extra mile.

Link: https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/PCE-AC88/

or

Link: https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/USB-AC68/

Frankly, I will still recommend Homeplugs for your weak Wi-Fi woes...you must get the right type - Get AV2 compliant which supports Gigabit rate and 4K streaming! What homeplug you use that did not produce good results? Make sure you DO NOT connect your homeplug to a power conditioner or extension base as it will degrade the throughput rate.

Lastly, move the position of your PC or the Router - involved no cost.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 21:26 by desray »

Offline kardtoon

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 16:32 »
I recommend to fix your wifi. It has a lot more advantages beyond just music listening. Many ways to fix it, including the often mentioned Netgear Orbi or other mesh solutions.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 17:55 »
For direct attached storage (USB3) to your laptop, I suggest checking out Orico range of storage enclosure. Can find easily on AliExpress. Then go Sim Lim to buy your desired HDD. You can use Windows software RAID. Alternatively, Orico also have HW RAID enclosures.

Personally, I am using a 2-Bay unit , as well as a 5 Bay unit, both connected to my PC. Chugging along very well even after 3 years.

Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline Relax

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 07:44 »
Again, i would llike to thank everyone for their inputs..

Offline Kith

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 09:06 »
bro which type of hard disk size and model are you using?

For direct attached storage (USB3) to your laptop, I suggest checking out Orico range of storage enclosure. Can find easily on AliExpress. Then go Sim Lim to buy your desired HDD. You can use Windows software RAID. Alternatively, Orico also have HW RAID enclosures.

Personally, I am using a 2-Bay unit , as well as a 5 Bay unit, both connected to my PC. Chugging along very well even after 3 years.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2019, 15:00 »
bro which type of hard disk size and model are you using?

For the Orico USB3 DAS, various HDD sizes, ranging from 1Tb to 3Tb.

Currently installed list:
<dump>  [app]    Model: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332
<dump>  [app]    Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA300
<dump>  [app]    Model: ST31000340AS
<dump>  [app]    Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
<dump>  [app]    Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA300

Hope this helps...
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast