Author Topic: Storage Media for Audio / Video but not looking for NAS  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Relax

• Trade Count: (0)
I am looking for recommendation for..
Type and brand / model storage device for storing audio / video files to be connected directly to PC / Laptop.
I am looking for one that can also run raid 1.
Need at least 8TB of space...

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
Main Rig 7.2.4: BenQ TK800 / XY ALR Motorized Tab-Tensioned 92" / Denon X6200 / Sony X800 / KK 808 / Sony PS4 pro / HSU VTF 3 MK5 / KEF T205 with T101 wides / Orb Audio ceiling mounted Atmos

Offline Relax

Re: Storage Media for Audio / Video but not looking for NAS
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 21:43 »
Thx, will take a look at this brand..

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 11:04 »
I am looking for recommendation for..
Type and brand / model storage device for storing audio / video files to be connected directly to PC / Laptop.
I am looking for one that can also run raid 1.
Need at least 8TB of space...

Bro, any reason why NAS is not the way for you? Is it due to RAID or cost-related factors of using a NAS?

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 12:27 »
My main music server do not rely on external storage.  I made it big , powerful and has direct access to the contents in the quickest possible way.

I use a Samsung PM1725a NVMe PCIe 8 lanes SSD card.  This is the 3.2TB version.  There is a 6.4TB version.

(Audio)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 13:25 »
My main music server do not rely on external storage.  I made it big , powerful and has direct access to the contents in the quickest possible way.

I use a Samsung PM1725a NVMe PCIe 8 lanes SSD card.  This is the 3.2TB version.  There is a 6.4TB version.

(Audio)

Ahem...the price tag is almost an average joe's 1 mth salary based on my research. eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-PM1725-3-2TB-PCIe-SSD-MZ-PLK3T20-MZPLK3T2HCJL-00003/232863162212?hash=item3637b9df64:g:iQ8AAOSwMSZbWNdy

Offline Relax

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 15:53 »
Bro, any reason why NAS is not the way for you? Is it due to RAID or cost-related factors of using a NAS?

I have already a synology NAS.
I Just want the music files to store close to my PC and and at the same time store my photos.
 for fast accessibility
The PC's wifi signal is weak due to the location of the PC...at the very corner... files transfer rate is very slow..
Currently the NAS store all the movies and is located in the living room.
Maybe I should just get rid of all the movie files and just connect the NAS directly to my PC...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 15:56 »
I Just want the music files to store close to my PC and and at the same time store my photos.
 for fast accessibility
The PC's wifi signal is weak due to the location of the PC...at the very corner... files transfer rate is very slow..
Maybe I should just get rid of all the movie files and just connect the NAS directly to my PC...
Consider homeplugs?

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

Offline Relax

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 17:25 »
too many dropouts when using it...

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 18:06 »
 for fast accessibility

Try mesh?

Was using using asus 88 previously and situated at my living.

The rooms upstairs cant receive strong signals.

Changed to the netgear orbi

Issue solved.
Main Rig 7.2.4: BenQ TK800 / XY ALR Motorized Tab-Tensioned 92" / Denon X6200 / Sony X800 / KK 808 / Sony PS4 pro / HSU VTF 3 MK5 / KEF T205 with T101 wides / Orb Audio ceiling mounted Atmos

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 19:17 »
Try mesh?

Was using using asus 88 previously and situated at my living.

The rooms upstairs cant receive strong signals.

Changed to the netgear orbi

Issue solved.

It won't serve his needs from the way I see it since he placed data transfer a priority over accessibility. While it can probably resolve the weak wi-fi issue he has, it will not improve the throughput rate of data transfer. Unless of course, he wants to invest in the new 802.11ad which utilize a shorter frequency wave spectrum but a line of sight needs to be established and furthermore one also needs to buy a separate hardware module (ethernet card with antennae) to send/receive the AD signal.

Nothing beats a wired connection.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 11:07 »
Never never use homeplugs.

Audiophiles paid thousands, tens of thousands to run dedicated power lines, use fancy power conditioners, utilized very expensive shielded power cords and interconnects.....and you now inject in new data signals riding on your power lines just to avoid running a fiber or an Ethernet cable...........ridiculous, isn't it?

(Audio)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 11:16 »
Never never use homeplugs.

Audiophiles paid thousands, tens of thousands to run dedicated power lines, use fancy power conditioners, utilized very expensive shielded power cords and interconnects.....and you now inject in new data signals riding on your power lines just to avoid running a fiber or an Ethernet cable...........ridiculous, isn't it?

(Audio)

Not sure what is Bro Relax requirement here? Is he doing streaming of audio to his AV equipment for serious hi-fi listening or is he simply asking for an alternative to help store and transfer his audio files at a faster rate? If then I agreed, homeplugs is unlikely the way to go...but if its the latter, then homeplugs (while not perfect) at least justify if he simple wanted to have a more "consistent transfer rate" compared to his weak Wi-fi signals.

Maybe Relax will like to clarify his intentions a little clearer, perhaps?

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 08:36 »
Yah, relax.   I use Homeplugs in my Singapore Apartment now.  No Hi Fi systems in Singapore Mah.  StarHub took up my spare line when they force the fiber ethernet TV boxes on me.  Homeplug restored my printer connection.

Just reminding hi-end system owners here in Xtremeplace about Homeplugs.   I am sure with the homeplugs removed, you will achieve closer to what you want to achieve with your heavy investments in cleaning up the power line.  I even bought some wi-fi terminators to kill the wi-fi outputs of the AV processor.

I even attentunate the Wi-Fi of the listening hall, by using 2 walls to bring it down from 4 bars to 2 bars for iPad playback control.

(Audio)

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58 »
I don't really understand the requirement:

1. If you own a NAS, why not just connect it directly to your PC via ethernet, or improve your wifi as per earlier suggestions?

What else would you be using your NAS for if it can't stream? It should not be used as a backup.

2. External hdd with RAID is rare.. can look up WD if you want:
https://www.wd.com/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html

I would recommend not buying an external hdd with RAID as it adds an additional layer of complexity, but just a simple external hdd to use if you think that's necessary. Just do manual back-up.

I even attentunate the Wi-Fi of the listening hall, by using 2 walls to bring it down from 4 bars to 2 bars for iPad playback control.
Did you just try to reduce transmit power via firmware, or get a shorter antenna?

On one of my devices, I actually removed the antenna fully and it still works.. sounds better too.