Author Topic: Home listening environment  (Read 2339 times)

Offline qflyer

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline murphys33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Home listening environment
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 20:09 »
I did not fancy too much absorption in my room. Preferred bass traps and diffusion panels. I guess everyone's room is different...

Offline qflyer

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 21:03 »
Make sense for dedicated audio room

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 21:10 »
Someone I visited had a delicated living room all for his stereo setup.  :o now my CO will never approve that.
ProJect Q.

BadEnglish

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 21:45 »
Someone I visited had a delicated living room all for his stereo setup.  :o now my CO will never approve that.

Change CO or upgrade to latest version.

What are you waiting for ;D

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 22:12 »
should have stayed single then more $$$$$ for hifi. but then single cannot buy 5rm BTO flat. !@#$%^&*
ProJect Q.

Offline andylovesaudio

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 22:50 »
If stayed single...buy private Condo Liao ....maybe. Plus probably longer lifespan. Esp if kena those life shortener types. Bwahaha.

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 23:04 »
I did not fancy too much absorption in my room. Preferred bass traps and diffusion panels. I guess everyone's room is different...

I share yr views. The typical SG hifi room is quite a lot smaller than the typical US one. Too much absorption will result in a lack of airiness and spaciousness in the sound
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 23:23 »
According to this article
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0119/Improve_Your_Home_Studio.htm
Just saw the article. Imo, it's a bit incomplete and misleading, it talks about the dead end in LEDE - Live End Dead End, without talking about the Live End. Like you guys said, too much absorption = lifeless sound.

Absorbing first reflections in the front of the room achieves a reflection free zone, provides an time delay gap and can help tighten up imaging, some prefer very pinpoint imaging.

But is should be complemented by the Live End, which is made up of diffusers behind you, to provide strong diffuse reflections after the initial time delay gap. The diffusers provide a strong delayed diffuse sound which complements how our ear-brain processes sound and give more timbre, tonality and ambience to the sound.

If you saw Ronildoq's thread on the SMT wings, they are providing a stronger, full bandwidth diffuse sound than most diffusers in the market.

The LEDE concept originates from mastering studios, which targets accuracy more than musical enjoyment.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 09:46 »
Just saw the article. Imo, it's a bit incomplete and misleading, it talks about the dead end in LEDE - Live End Dead End, without talking about the Live End. Like you guys said, too much absorption = lifeless sound.

Absorbing first reflections in the front of the room achieves a reflection free zone, provides an time delay gap and can help tighten up imaging, some prefer very pinpoint imaging.

But is should be complemented by the Live End, which is made up of diffusers behind you, to provide strong diffuse reflections after the initial time delay gap. The diffusers provide a strong delayed diffuse sound which complements how our ear-brain processes sound and give more timbre, tonality and ambience to the sound.

If you saw Ronildoq's thread on the SMT wings, they are providing a stronger, full bandwidth diffuse sound than most diffusers in the market.

The LEDE concept originates from mastering studios, which targets accuracy more than musical enjoyment.

I have tried this LEDE before and it does not work with setups. I like it when I was playing with panels but not with conventional box speakers. Everyone's ears are different and ultimately it boils down to each individual's preference. Now I very much favour more diffusion with absorption coming in if I have a bright sounding room. The bass traps placed in the corners does to a certain extent absorb already so too many absorption panels may dull the presentation.

Offline atx2

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55 »
I used to put my setup inside the room but my daughter n wife kick me out to the living room :( but good thing is the sound stage is so much big now. Only disadvantage is need too book timing for listening because of the TV is outside. BTW I took over 70% for the whole Living room... ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:57 by atx2 »
Analog all the way...

Offline malsound

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 12:10 »
I am luckier both TV and hifi can be on at the same time, I just have to on my mind TV filter to max setting.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 14:42 »
LEDE approach has to be use with a pinch of salt. Ideally wall behind speakers should be defused. Wall behind the listening chair should be partially absorb but not dead. Depending on listening room size its always good to have some reflected sound to add ambience. Same goes for bass traps, suck up too much & it will sound lifeless. Best way that I found is to tweak speakers position till optimum before you start to tweak the room. At times even adding a 20 cent coin below the front spike of speaker to introduce slight rake will change the spatial balance totally. Do keep in mind that the minute you change speakers, you have to start all over again.

Cheers

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 19:09 »
Just read a very interesting article, variation of LEDE.

www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/how-the-attack-wall-works-5/

Offline qflyer

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26 »
There are some devices that can do room correction. I think they have very limited or no effect at all.