Author Topic: Lyngdorf thread  (Read 19741 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Lyngdorf thread
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2019, 08:46 »
He is essentially saying to ignore frequency response and assume (without verifying)RP will get time domain Impulse response spot on?

I find it hard to swallow without data though.

Agreed with you Jag, but maybe the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I think we must listen for ourselves first even though the reasons by the engineer may not be "sound". For bro Roni, I think his decision to opt for the RoomPerfect after listening to sdds setup must have left a profound impression in his mind that led him to get the Lyngdorf. I have yet to listen to the Lyngdorf's RP myself so I will reserve my comment.

For me, seeing is believing and likewise for sound as well. Figures, charts and readings are important but at the end of the day, we don't look at the readings to determine how well the system sound but rather how "it" (sound) performed in real time (and I'm pretty sure the readings and tweaks will complement the sound) but then again sound is a very subjective matter and I find it hard to convince everyone that this is the reference sound that one should emulate as different people perceive sound differently.

Maybe bro Roni can share more of his findings and experience as he goes along... :)

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2019, 09:27 »
101% agree with you. Just that in my work life, I learnt not to trust claims unless there is  statistically substantial evidence to corroborate the results  from both subjective and objective data fronts.

I too feel how it sounds is where it matters most. Measurements are only to quantify what we hear.

Time alignment is pretty important, and how many times have we stressed the get this correct. I’ve taught many here how to manually measure and confirm time alignment is true and what to do to remedy if time alignment is off.

Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2019, 15:12 »
The  Lyngdorf is a WOW.

I’ll break it down further with more measurement data, I’m also very eager to find out what it’s doing, in the evening tonight when kids asleep.

So far I’ve listened, I can confirm it is better than the previous Dirac set up with ddrc88a. What I found improved is the speed of the bass in midbass, the transient Attack from midbass significantly improved, its as fast as my previous Ken Kreisel 12012. The 18” subs doesn’t feel slow, it’s very very fast, hitting hard and fast, very very clean sounding. The goosebumps from deepbass is back too, without pushing the subs, The integration of subs and mains is seamless, this is the strength of the lyngdorf

It provided the Attack of midbass, provided the deep bass I’m after, provided the texture moving bass feeling , it’s actually really complete now for me. In the past, I was either missing the speed of midbass or deepbass, had to give in to one. With this there is no need to compromise, enjoying deep bass and midbass Attack at the same time, with moving 3D bass. It also brought back the height bass !! Superb feeling !

What I understand from the engineer is that once the subs are corner loaded, the first reflection off the boundary is easier to control, it reaches the listening position in a synchronised waveform, this gives the feel that it is fast, because all other reflections from all over doesn’t exist if the subs are placed in corner locations. Placing it in the midwall location will introduce a lot of reflections that is  too difficult to control them in the time domain.  So again it’s really about placement of the subs, where it is placed that matters.

Getting it right in the time domain for Low frequencies is very hard to achieve.honestly I didn’t tweak or do anything. I just run RP and it does everything, so easy and so good. And when u sit down and listen, immediately u know the resonance is gone, the image pans from left right surround back is nice.

There is one Atmos 2014 clip, the little girl will hang by a rope swing from TOP, back down, then up again to the left then disappears... so good, feels so immersive even in the jungle, the leaf scene turning, I can feel the bass circulating with the leaves, soft gentle and very natural feeling then it touches the water...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qd2hN5xviug&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Qd2hN5xviug&fs=1</a>

See this, exactly what I’m experiencing now, very very fast the 18” seatons, I can’t believe 18” can pound with speed and control, superb transient Attack . The EQ from RP is the magic

At this stage, I’m very delighted I went for the lyngdorf over the storm , no regrets here . It suits my taste perfectly because of the above that I’ve been after for the past 3 years, finally found what I’m looking for. Best part it is so easy to use

Highly recommended the lyngdorf Mp50 if funds permit

I’ll be experimenting further on voicing, EQ tool for house curve, post processing stuff etc
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 15:19 by ronildoq »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2019, 15:16 »
The  Lyngdorf is a WOW.

I’ll break it down further with more measurement data, I’m also very eager to find out what it’s doing, in the evening tonight when kids asleep.

So far I’ve listened, I can confirm it is better than the previous Dirac set up with ddrc88a. What I found improved is the speed of the bass in midbass, the transient Attack from midbass significantly improved, its as fast as my previous Ken Kreisel 12012. The 18” subs doesn’t feel slow, it’s very very fast, hitting hard and fast, very very clean sounding. The goosebumps from deepbass is back too, without pushing the subs, The integration of subs and mains is seamless, this is the strength of the lyngdorf

It provided the Attack of midbass, provided the deep bass I’m after, provided the texture moving bass feeling , it’s actually really complete now for me. In the past, I was either missing the speed of midbass or deepbass, had to give in to one. With this there is no need to compromise, enjoying deep bass and midbass Attack at the same time, with moving 3D bass. It also brought back the height bass !! Superb feeling !

What I understand from the engineer is that once the subs are corner loaded, the first reflection off the boundary is easier to control, it reaches the listening position in a synchronised waveform, this gives the feel that it is fast, because all other reflections from all over doesn’t exist if the subs are placed in corner locations. Placing it in the midwall location will introduce a lot of reflections that is  too difficult to control them in the time domain.  So again it’s really about placement of the subs, where it is placed that matters.

Getting it right in the time domain for Low frequencies is very hard to achieve.honestly I didn’t tweak or do anything. I just run RP and it does everything, so easy and so good. And when u sit down and listen, immediately u know the resonance is gone, the image pans from left right surround back is nice.

There is one Atmos 2014 clip, the little girl will hang by a rope swing from TOP, back down, then up again to the left then disappears... so good, feels so immersive even in the jungle, the leaf scene turning, I can feel the bass circulating with the leaves, soft gentle and very natural feeling then it touches the water...

https://youtu.be/Qd2hN5xviug

See this, exactly what I’m experiencing now, very very fast the 18” seatons, I can’t believe 18” can pound with speed and control, superb transient Attack . The EQ from RP is the magic

At this stage, I’m very delighted I went for the lyngdorf over the storm , no regrets here . It suits my taste perfectly because of the above that I’ve been after for the past 3 years, finally found what I’m looking for. Best part it is so easy to use

Highly recommended the lyngdorf Mp50 if funds permit

I’ll be experimenting further on voicing, EQ tool for house curve, post processing stuff etc

Hahaha...sounds like you got yourself a *gem* there! :)

WIll pay you a visit one of these days to experience it myself :)

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2019, 15:20 »
Hahaha...sounds like you got yourself a *gem* there! :)

WIll pay you a visit one of these days to experience it myself :)

yes definitely, bring your HD when u drop by, will share some HDR10+ clips with you, you can check out the tone mapping quality on those video files as well, jaw dropping quality that one...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2019, 15:22 »
yes definitely, bring your HD when u drop by, will share some HDR10+ clips with you, you can check out the tone mapping quality on those video files as well, jaw dropping quality that one...

Yep.  Especially with my new projector coming soon. A good time to test those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline winwinc81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2019, 15:24 »
Mee tooo lol

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2019, 15:29 »
He is essentially saying to ignore frequency response and assume (without verifying)RP will get time domain Impulse response spot on?

I find it hard to swallow without data though.

Yes same, i found it weird, thats why i asked him, what happens when there is a dip at X location? wont you feel the bass is missing? He is very confident, he said if you placed it at left right front corners boundary, dont worry about it, just let RP do its work. He also stressed not to place it at 1/4 location in front. He also said without any acoustics like what i did for my place, i will still enjoy the benefits as the algorithm does a good job with fixing the Room. So i just went ok ok... lol

Now after the RP, actual listening, it sounds way way nicer than the previous Tweaked set up, that tweaked set up took me 2 months! The RP is like 1hr 20mins..... and just add the house curve and done! nothing to do and sounds better than my preferred tweaked set up

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2019, 15:32 »
Yep.  Especially with my new projector coming soon. A good time to test those.

Trust me you will be impressed..... The skin tone etc all very good.

I must stress that the Lyngdorf MP-50 doesnt have a good HDMI port, it is HDMI 2.0 but supports speed up to 10.2g only. So for video, i have the oppo go in to the TV directly

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2019, 15:33 »
Mee tooo lol

yes bro, dont need a midbass module....see the video on top by lyngdorf boundary woofers... same thing im experiencing now with the 18' subs

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2019, 15:40 »
Trust me you will be impressed..... The skin tone etc all very good.

I must stress that the Lyngdorf MP-50 doesnt have a good HDMI port, it is HDMI 2.0 but supports speed up to 10.2g only. So for video, i have the oppo go in to the TV directly

Huh? Up to 10.2gbps?! Thats hdmi 1.4b specs. Are you sure or not? That’s not even able to support 4K @60fps properly! And that’s not mentioning the 4:4:4 and support for WCG.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2019, 15:43 »
Huh? Up to 10.2gbps?! Thats hdmi 1.4b specs. Are you sure or not? That’s not even able to support 4K @60fps properly! And that’s not mentioning the 4:4:4 and support for WCG.

yea, i read in AVS it supports only up to 4k 30fps.... and its port speed is 10.2g not 18gbps....

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2019, 15:46 »
yea, i read in AVS it supports only up to 4k 30fps.... and its port speed is 10.2g not 18gbps....

That’s not good. Like that confirm it’s HDMI 1.4b. It can support 4K up to 30fps. I guess u will not be able to use it as a pre amp/switch to support pass through inputs from sources like UHD Blu-ray (Oppo) and other peripherals.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2019, 15:53 »
U will need to get a separate switch for your video inputs.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2019, 15:57 »
That’s not good. Like that confirm it’s HDMI 1.4b. It can support 4K up to 30fps. I guess u will not be able to use it as a pre amp/switch to support pass through inputs from sources like UHD Blu-ray (Oppo) and other peripherals.

The MP-50 HDMI chipset is 2.0-lite, 300MHz/10.2Gbps. It can pass ≤2160p30 HDR at 4:2:2 12-bit and 2160p60 HDR only at 4:2:0 10-bit.MP-50 can only pass DV at 2160p30 max

Yes the video card and hdmi chipset is not the latest on MP50, so have to be wary for those who need this. For me i dont need it, as im using oppo straight to TV for HDR10 60fps and Dolby Vision Video

Netflix is also on the OLED tv, so sending atmos audio down to lyngdorf vide ARC, and youtube as well, if i decide to use xbox, ill use the HDMI in on the Oppo as well. The oppo will play all ripped UHD through USB and Disk, MP50 will play music through spotify and its USB Dacs. No issues, so dont really need the Lyngdorf to be full 4K for my case. Im after the sound quality and RP
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 16:01 by ronildoq »