Author Topic: Lyngdorf thread  (Read 23177 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Lyngdorf thread
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 20:30 »
Did you ever question why even Lyndorf does that? LoL...

No idea really! We will hear it from the horse mouth next week... when the Lyngdorf calibrator is here in Singapore , I’m very eager to know as well... I’m trying to gather all the points and questions , especially those technical stuff posted in the forums that no one has answers to...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 20:33 »
No idea really! We will hear it from the horse mouth next week... when the Lyngdorf calibrator is here in Singapore , I’m very eager to know as well... I’m trying to gather all the points and questions , especially those technical stuff posted in the forums that no one has answers to...

Yep...I'll wait for the Danish engineer for answers though I have mine from Anthem already. And I already know why "from Anthem's perspective"...I want to compare notes in terms of the rationale between these 2 product lines.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 20:41 »
Yep...I'll wait for the Danish engineer for answers though I have mine from Anthem already. And I already know why "from Anthem's perspective"...I want to compare notes in terms of the rationale between these 2 product lines.

Nice, I’ll share soon when I get the answers , then let us know as well what “anthem”s” EQ programme does and how it handles these delays, I’m sure your JL’s internal subwoofer amplifiers will introduce delays and that should be added to the distance of the sub on anthem avr, but really need to clarify this point...

This whole delay and group delay thing is just too complex... lol but it’s fun!

We all learn something new

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 20:57 »
Nice, I’ll share soon when I get the answers , then let us know as well what “anthem”s” EQ programme does and how it handles these delays, I’m sure your JL’s internal subwoofer amplifiers will introduce delays and that should be added to the distance of the sub on anthem avr, but really need to clarify this point...

This whole delay and group delay thing is just too complex... lol but it’s fun!

We all learn something new

Actually it is "we" (the users) who likes to "tinker" that creates this predicament and conundrum for ourselves... :P

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 08:40 »
Haha , the tinkerer !!

Ok let’s get down to some more details on room perfect. So here is what I have gathered from other forums, pics from forum

Look at this picture above. The blue shows the in room response. The green is the Global Eq correction from RP, herein after room perfect

If this was my response in the room. Audyssey will eq it flat. It will be a flat target by measurement

If this was Dirac live, the default curve will not be entirely flat, it would be the “perceived flat target” . Meaning Dirac has done research for various rooms and found  a compromise that this target curve will be a good balance for the listeners

A “perceived flat target curve” will look somewhat like this on Dirac , a +2.2db by the time it reaches 20hz, and downward sloping as it approaches 16-20khz

Harman has their own target curve, and it looks somewhat like this...

So every one of them has done extensive research and found that this is the ideal response.

RP’s approach is no different. What they focus on here is on a “ perceived flat target IN THE ROOM” , so if u place your subs at the corner and u r getting a room gain, RP will not attenuate the response. It will retain it. It will try to retain the target curve within that room, hence applying equal loudness at listening positions that is natural, according to the room response. Whilst this may not be the best approach, real listening and experience shows that a “ perceived flat target in the room” is very pleasant and natural sounding, doesn’t give u the “over EQ-Ed” feel. This is why u will see many say it is good for music, because nobody likes using EQ when it comes to music. You will also notice that it fixes the peaks and nulls where necessary without deviating from the in room target curve measured response . This “natural” curve, is now in line with your room and speakers, this will then preserve the dynamics and headroom.

So every house will have different speakers and room acoustics, the RP strives towards bringing out what works best in that particular room

More to follow when I have the actual measurements to confirm this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43 »
In the look out for processor now ? Wait first I’ll be the guinea pig ... what will be priceless and invaluable is the knowledge from the engineer and how he will bring out the best in the equipment and I’ll video and share all the tips and strengths of this processor. apparently this lyngdorf and the NaD m17v.2 has the same street price in the USA , so folks are mostly going for this instead...

Cheers bro.

Waiting for you full review and the implementation.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 21:07 »
Haha , the tinkerer !!

Ok let’s get down to some more details on room perfect. So here is what I have gathered from other forums, pics from forum

Look at this picture above. The blue shows the in room response. The green is the Global Eq correction from RP, herein after room perfect

If this was my response in the room. Audyssey will eq it flat. It will be a flat target by measurement

If this was Dirac live, the default curve will not be entirely flat, it would be the “perceived flat target” . Meaning Dirac has done research for various rooms and found  a compromise that this target curve will be a good balance for the listeners

A “perceived flat target curve” will look somewhat like this on Dirac , a +2.2db by the time it reaches 20hz, and downward sloping as it approaches 16-20khz

Harman has their own target curve, and it looks somewhat like this...

So every one of them has done extensive research and found that this is the ideal response.

RP’s approach is no different. What they focus on here is on a “ perceived flat target IN THE ROOM” , so if u place your subs at the corner and u r getting a room gain, RP will not attenuate the response. It will retain it. It will try to retain the target curve within that room, hence applying equal loudness at listening positions that is natural, according to the room response. Whilst this may not be the best approach, real listening and experience shows that a “ perceived flat target in the room” is very pleasant and natural sounding, doesn’t give u the “over EQ-Ed” feel. This is why u will see many say it is good for music, because nobody likes using EQ when it comes to music. You will also notice that it fixes the peaks and nulls where necessary without deviating from the in room target curve measured response . This “natural” curve, is now in line with your room and speakers, this will then preserve the dynamics and headroom.

So every house will have different speakers and room acoustics, the RP strives towards bringing out what works best in that particular room

More to follow when I have the actual measurements to confirm this

At the end of the day, "Be neutral, get the flat response". Another part that we did not mention is the rollover (how steep the rollover curve) also plays an important role to the overall SQ.

Offline whitesox

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 22:10 »
At the end of the day, "Be neutral, get the flat response". Another part that we did not mention is the rollover (how steep the rollover curve) also plays an important role to the overall SQ.

Hmmm...
Is there a different between roll over and roll off
Specifically in the freq set point in the filter?

:D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 22:11 »
Hmmm...
Is there a different between roll over and roll off
Specifically in the freq set point in the filter?

:D

Oops I meant to say roll off. LoL

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 12:34 »
in the past, i used to have a flat curve, ie with Audyssey's default target curve.

Then i had the antimode dual core, and i prefer using the house curve for the room.

Then came Dirac, same and i still prefer to have a house curve without using the default target curve

In all my experiments above, the house curve is very pleasant, it produces equal loudness at all frequencies, especially from 20-100hz.. The Harman Curve seems closest to what i like. As you go down lower the frequency, the steepness increases. But how steep the curve, it will depend on individual rooms, how linear the curve, this is also critical. The curve should be linear, and non bulging. One manual way i was doing is playing a sine wave using REW tone generator, then moving the cursor along the frequency and listening to the loudness... These were all manually done.  This "perceived flat response" is much much more desirable, compared to Audyssey's flat target

With Lyngdorf RP, there is no need to measure the "in Room Perceived Flat Target", it will be done by the algorithm itself. This is also why many likes the Lyngdorf, its very easy to use, not much of tinkering. Lotsa good quality auto stuff

Lets see how it measures, soon...

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 15:11 »
I'm waiting for your curve as well. Interested to know what's inside the black box calibration.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2019, 18:07 »
I'm waiting for your curve as well. Interested to know what's inside the black box calibration.

Haha, my curve now getting bigger! Lol, bulging tummy curve ! All the food is inside ! Lol

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2019, 18:26 »
Ok unboxing lyngdorf MP50 standby cable wiring... kinda in a mess behind the console... phewwww

The packaging and what’s inside

The remote, quite Long , and comes with the calibration microphone, looks good the built quality with a balanced cable provided, room correction is with the xlr connection on the back of the lyngdorf. Extreme care as once dropped that’s it, gotta get another mic in from Denmark , this one is specially calibrated for use with this unit

It comes with a microphone stand as well. Ive always preferred this type of stand when it comes to calibration, much more versatile. This one is quite sturdy and extends all the way up to the ceiling. According to RP manual, to achieve 100% room knowledge, measuring all the up to the ceiling will provide the software better knowledge of the room acoustics

Available connections at the back of the MP-50... good enough to meet all the requirements . You will notice there are 4 auxiliary connections. I’m using 2 of these for TOP center Atmos, another 2 will be used for dual subs seaton, one stacked in front corner left in the room, another co-located behind MLP . I will not use the LFE for now, using the auxiliary connection will route stereo bass and LFE bass to the subs. I’ll share more on this later. Ditching the front wides for now as placement not ideal. I’ll try instead to toe in the mains to bridge the GAP between mains and surrounds, push the centre speaker slightly backwards to form an arc and bubble

Front top view, nothing special, just some LCD to display settings etc

Removed the subs position to take advantage of what I think will work better on the RP

1st pair of seatons in stacked configuration right in front wall corner, this is to be used full force for goosebumps effects. Lyngdorf advocates corner placement for subwoofers.

2nd pair right behind MLP to balance the load of the 1st stacked version, too bad I can’t stack the second one due to acoustic panels placement.

Getting ready this week for lyngdorf engineer ...

Stay tuned ...

Ps: big thank you to Bro NGSK who popped by to help me carry these heavy subs. Thanks bro, much appreciated ! You will be my guest of honor when it’s ready! Hope I don’t poison u in the process... hahaha

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 19:28 »
Looking goood... :P

Offline ngsk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 08:18 »

Getting ready this week for lyngdorf engineer ...

Stay tuned ...

Ps: big thank you to Bro NGSK who popped by to help me carry these heavy subs. Thanks bro, much appreciated ! You will be my guest of honor when it’s ready! Hope I don’t poison u in the process... hahaha

No problem bro,anytime.
Looking forward also to demo when everything done.  ;D ;D ;D