Author Topic: Robotic Vaccum Cleaner  (Read 2736 times)

Online Angelo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Robotic Vaccum Cleaner
« on: December 26, 2018, 10:35 »
Seasons Greetings to all in Xtremeplace!

I am thinking of buying the robotic vaccum cleaner to help clean and maintain my 5 room flat.

Doing research , there are so many brands and eventually i have narrowed down to these 2 brands/models:
1. Roomba 980
2. Xiaomi Gen 2

Roomba 980 is the more expensive ( 2 times more ) of the 2 and budget wise the Xiaomi is more friendly. Is there something unique about Roomba that the price is so high? Would not paying more if there is really something unique about Roomba.

Any forumners who has experience using these 2 brands/models pls share your experiences. Appreciate the feedback !

Also, I am open to other brands like Samsung/LG/Philips... any feedback is appreciated as well.

Regards,
Angelo

Offline murphys33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Robotic Vaccum Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:55 »
I have been using the nealto and think it is one of the best out there. The other models do a random vacuum and may miss out spots if area is big or take a longer time. Nealto maps out the area and does Systematic vacumn. It recharges when need and continue from where it stopped after charging. Price as also good. Used the xv12 for more than 5 years.

Offline c722

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 19:01 »
Roomba 980 is the more expensive ( 2 times more ) of the 2 and budget wise the Xiaomi is more friendly. Is there something unique about Roomba that the price is so high? Would not paying more if there is really something unique about Roomba.

Let me give you a complete rundown of both.  I have used both extensively.  1st the 980, then the xiaomi.

If you are impatient, just read this: forget the 980. get the xiaomi. cost is *not* a factor for me.

problem with the 980:
1) stupid algorithm.  very frequently duplicating paths.  always needs to go back to base several times during a cleaning as if it has to go back to starting point to "ascertain" something.  So you see it goes to and fro on same path several times.  The algo is also so "advanced" that it cleans half of a room 1st, then go somewhere else, clean another half a room there, then return to base, then go to the old room and do the other half.
2) due to 1), unable to clear tight corners, and some areas not covered for no reason. I have one small corridor that is just 2 inches bigger than the unit, for the 980, it *sometimes* can clean, *sometimes* it will miss. not consistent at all.  And some corners in the room, for no reason, sometimes it skips altogether.
3) very noisy after a while. you will hate it. I think just after a few weeks of use.
4) battery needs replacement very quickly. (mine was 10 months)
5) "taller" than xiaomi, so some corners cannot go under, whereas xiaomi can.
6) "mapping" app is silly.  no real time update of the map (so you dun know what has been done, what has not). only has the map when the job is finished; and even then you may not see the map because constant "cloud problem".
7) get stuck easily and can't recover. say you put a chair in this position when it does the 1st pass (it frequently does 2 passes due to the stupid algorithm), 5 mins later you move the chair due to some reason, the 980 will get confused, and the whole mapping is haywired.  It will be totally lost and repeat all paths and spend 2 full hours circling around.
8 ) it needs light to work.  and for some reason, the brighter the room, the better the mapping. when the room is dim, it takes much longer to complete the job, and some times it does not complete. (how stupid is that ?)
9) keep on losing wifi connection (so you will not be able to see map and job status.. anyway nothing to see in the app anyway, useless app). and once wifi connection is lost, you need to re-setup the wifi connection (it's not a reconnect.  it's a re-setup !) Note this has nothing to do with wifi signal strength.  it seems the robot can just totally lose the wifi setup.

good thing about xiaomi over the 980:
1) mapping algorithm is much better.  almost never duplicate paths. (I can tell what it is doing and I think its algo is much better.)
2) due to 1), it is able to clear tight corners and cover all areas , the job is very consistent. the same tight corridor mentioned above, xiaomi has *never* failed even once in clearing it.
3) again the profile of xiaomi is slightly lower, able to go under many places
4) still noisy, but more bearable than the 980
5) never has any wifi issue
6) cleaning map update is real time, you can see where it has covered and where it has not
7) it doesn't need light to work. can run in total darkness.  no change in how fast it runs with lights on or not.
8 ) recovery from "obstructed path" is much better than the 980. (still not perfect though, but because of the way xiaomi's algo works, it inherently is better in this regard).
9)battery life is also better.

ok some areas xiaomi is weaker :
1) curtains.  it really has a hard time dealing with curtains.  takes a bit of time to navigate along (It treats it as an object).  the 980 simply barge through.
2) dustbin size. xiaomi needs to clean dustbin like every 2-3 days.  the 980 can run for a week at least.

Lastly, if you want to compare "vacuum power" : I think no difference on hard floors.  Ang mo reviews say 980 vacuum better on carpets, I never try, cannot tell. 

To me the main problem of the 980 is its stupid algo and the noise.  Go for xiaomi, no brainer.

Online Angelo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 22:11 »
Dear Murphys 33 & c722  -- Thanks a lot for sharing the experiences of using the robotic vaccum cleaners. The information provided will help a lot in my final decision.

Have a great weekend !

Regards
Angelo

Offline gerry1

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 22:39 »
My wife has 2 robot Vacuum cleaners. An older roomba 980 and a more recent xiaomi roborock 2. The xiaomi wipes the floor with the roomba. And at half the price. Every thing said here by c722 and murphys33 is spot on. Moreover the xiaomi also does wet mopping.

Sorry could not resist.

Online Angelo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 22:32 »
Thanks gerry1 for the comments and endorsement on Xiaomi !

Ok, seemed like i am leaning towards Xiaomi. BTW, if I want to buy this Xiaomi, do i have to buy it online from Qoo10 or Lazada? Is there a physical store that I can buy?

I went to the Xiaomi store at Causeway Point today and saw the Xiaomi Gen 1 but the 2 staff there are simply bochup..sitting behind the counter and looking at the crowd and did not even bother to come out of the counter to serve customers. I wanted to ask more questions and maybe ask for a simple demo if is it ok with the staff but their attitude and facial expression turns me off.

Is this shop just an " Experience" shop where customers cannot buy but can play around with the demo sets?

End up i went over to Courts and saw another Robotic Vaccum Cleaner by Electrolux and the model is called Pure I9. The promoter lady is friendly and explain the features of the Pure I9 and even did a simple demo. Was quite impressed by the size and the self mapping functionalities of the cleaner but was put back a bit with the price ( over $1,000) .

I will now do more research on this cleaner . In the meantime, appreciate if you guys can tell me if there is a physical store or shop that I can buy the Xiaomi RoboRock vaccum cleaner.

Have a great weekend everyone !

Regards
Angelo

Offline gerry1

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 23:00 »
 We bought ours from Qoo10.  Quite easy.  It took around  10 to 14 days.

Offline kimurastanley

Robotic Vaccum Cleaner
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 23:08 »
I just bought Xiaomi roborock (gen2). Agree with the good points mentioned above. Definitely a good buy.

Very satisfied with the cleaning ability. My house floor and carpet is very clean. Now I don’t even use my old Dyson V6.

I bought from Qoo10 with $30 coupon discount. So paid $469 for it. Took about 5-6 days for the delivery
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 23:13 by kimurastanley »

Online Angelo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 14:22 »
Hi guys again... Can I check with the users of the Xiaomi Roborock 2, does it detect an object infront and will avoid colliding with the object? I have seen videos of some of vaccum cleaners and they will bounce off the object infront. If the object is heavy or strong enough, the robot vaccum cleaner will back off.

For eg, I have the floor standerspeakers at d hall and worried that d robot vaccum cleaner will just push and push and the worst it could happen is the floor standers will be toppled . Maybe not the floor standers but something light weight.

Pls share any experience you have
.. Appreciate it!

Regards, Angelo

Offline qflyer

Offline kimurastanley

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 16:15 »
Hi guys again... Can I check with the users of the Xiaomi Roborock 2, does it detect an object infront and will avoid colliding with the object? I have seen videos of some of vaccum cleaners and they will bounce off the object infront. If the object is heavy or strong enough, the robot vaccum cleaner will back off.

For eg, I have the floor standerspeakers at d hall and worried that d robot vaccum cleaner will just push and push and the worst it could happen is the floor standers will be toppled . Maybe not the floor standers but something light weight.

Pls share any experience you have
.. Appreciate it!

Regards, Angelo

Roborock 2 will still hit the objects but it is not that hard until it will topple items. I have a light weight ikea floor lamp which will move a bit when hit by the roborock2. But not until it will fall off.

Hope it’s help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wyx03

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 11:25 »
Have spent many hours/days doing 'homework' comparing different robotic vac cleaner online/youtube before buying. No regret at all after using xiaomi roborock Gen2 for a year+. Will buy it again if the current one fails.
It has soft plastic frame on its front that act as moving bumpers with sensor, so it's unlikely to push or move your floorstanders. In fact, it always rub against my SVS sub's front grill, but no visible damage on the grill so far. If that really concern you, you can buy some magnetic strips and stick them on the floor around your floorstanders. Xiaomi Roborock has downward sensing sensor to avoid crossing the magnetic strips.
Hope it helps :)
PS: I bought it from Qoo10. Free delivery
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:29 by wyx03 »

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 14:16 »
if you are looking for the collision prevention type that does not bounce-and-go, you can look for LG hombot or Neato offerings. I have been using Hombot for past 5 years and still going strong. Some wear and tear are unavoidable but generally it's an awesome helper for me.

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 17:49 »
My wife has 2 robot Vacuum cleaners. An older roomba 980 and a more recent xiaomi roborock 2. The xiaomi wipes the floor with the roomba. And at half the price. Every thing said here by c722 and murphys33 is spot on. Moreover the xiaomi also does wet mopping.

Sorry could not resist.

May I know where can I buy ?
 :)

Online Angelo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 19:08 »
Hi guys !

Thanks for all the information.

Just an update.. I have just bought the Xiaomi one at the Xiaomi shop in Vivocity last Sunday. Started using it and was nicely surprised that it did manage to pick up dust and dirt from the corners and underneath the cupboard, sofas... and when I checked the dustbox last night, it was quite a quantity.

Must say I am happy ( because the wifey is happy) with the machine.

BTW - Xiaomi shop in Vivocity is having a sale for this machine and going for $369 with 1 year warranty by Xiaomi Singapore. I must say it is a good deal.

Regards
Angelo