Author Topic: Need some help on sibilance  (Read 3037 times)

Offline wcseow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need some help on sibilance
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 16:45 »
Spent the afternoon doing the tests as proposed by fellow forumners.

1. All input removed with only speaker connected at any one time. No sound. AVR passed?

2. With only one input and one speaker, connected to Centre, run tests for all speakers including known good LX2. All speakers face the same situation though at varying degrees in the order as below with most irritating first
LX-C, LX-4 fronts, LX-2, Gallo Micro

3. Repeat same tests, cycling all speakers on the Front Left and Right connection. Same result as point 2

I guess possible conclusion is either AVR is faulty or that Onkyo/Mission is not a good combi.

Pretty sure Onkyo distributor will not accept easily that the AVR is at fault. :(

Any advise or comments?

Thanks

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2018, 16:55 »
What's your 1 input source and connection to AVR ?

Best if you could record your so called "sibilance" for all to hear it.
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline wcseow

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 17:23 »
What's your 1 input source and connection to AVR ?

Best if you could record your so called "sibilance" for all to hear it.
Xbox One X playing Avalon CD. Connected to HDMI.

Sure, will check for instructions on how to upload audio file.

Thanks

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2018, 17:27 »
Seems that the Onkyo isn’t very Mission friendly.

Before jumping to that conclusion, could you record how they sound and post a YouTube link here of that?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2018, 20:26 »
@wcseow, where did you get your Onkyo RZ730? See you wasted the whole day doing testing. Must be a real bummer! May I ask where did you get your RZ730 from? a local dealer with a shopfront (I hope)? If that is the case, I suggest you make a trip down to the shop along with your existing speakers, say the Missions and bring it over to their shop to hook up to test. If no RZ730 AVR on display, even a "similar" model range would do just fine since it is likely using the same components in the innards. If the shop have the "same brand" of speakers, even better, no need to bring your speakers over. It's easier to bring a pair of your speakers over to a shop than transporting your behemoth Onkyo AVR to service centre. Since you claim that you already did all what you could and still no improvement etc. Then you got nothing to lose.

There are a myraid of things that could be causing this "sibilance" hissing sound. From grounding to non-shielding of speaker wires which was placed near to the power source etc...if you only change speakers and hooking up and removing the speaker cables from either end of the AVR or speakers and still produce the same results, then it could be "something" in between that you need take a look at. Onkyo could be more susceptible to interference perhaps? But if you don't want to mess with all these, then try brining the speakers to the dealer/retailer for a test. If testing at their shop, no issue, then you can immediately start to put it back in the box for transport to the Onkyo Service Centre for repair.

Alternatively, go to one of the member's place with the same model/range of Onkyo AVR and test it out. I believed there are members using the same Onkyo AVR as yours.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 20:30 by desray »

Offline wcseow

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2018, 20:44 »
Hi
Yes, all the gear except Gallos of course :) is bought from Alpha on 2 different occasions from last Sept.

Yes, was thinking of going down there. They definitely have the Missions though I think they onky fix up the Pioneer AVR. Certainly bringing down the RX730 is tough but probably last resort, catch a GRAB there.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2018, 20:50 »
Hi
Yes, all the gear except Gallos of course :) is bought from Alpha on 2 different occasions from last Sept.

Yes, was thinking of going down there. They definitely have the Missions though I think they onky fix up the Pioneer AVR. Certainly bringing down the RX730 is tough but probably last resort, catch a GRAB there.

Glad to hear that...If you encounter resistance by the staff and need help, let me know, I maybe able to get in touch with the boss from Alpha to assist you. Just tell the staff that you are a member of Xtremeplace forum, they will entertain :)

There are many ways to get results, the hard way and the smart way...don't move a piano to the seat, instead move the seat to the piano - objective is the same - to play the damn piano. :P

Offline wcseow

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2018, 21:01 »
Glad to hear that...If you encounter resistance by the staff and need help, let me know, I maybe able to get in touch with the boss from Alpha to assist you. Just tell the staff that you are a member of Xtremeplace forum, they will entertain :)

There are many ways to get results, the hard way and the smart way...don't move a piano to the seat, instead move the seat to the piano - objective is the same - to play the damn piano. :P

Gee, Thanks. Certainly hope its going to be a fruitful and smooth trip. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:10 by wcseow »

Offline wcseow

Need some help on sibilance
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2018, 21:11 »
Hope this works. The actual sound is worse, it seems recording from a mobile removes some highs. I think one can make out the ssss and occasional high pitch

http://www.youtu.be/Wk5pIb74xF4
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 21:18 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2018, 21:19 »
Hope this works. The actual sound is worse, it seems recording from a mobile removes some highs. I think one can make out the ssss and occasional high pitch

http://www.youtu.be/Wk5pIb74xF4

Aiyoh, how to hear when the TV programme playing in the background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wcseow

Need some help on sibilance
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2018, 21:26 »
Aiyoh, how to hear when the TV programme playing in the background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol..Sorry. I thought to record actual program parts where the sssss/zzzzxx could be heard in the dialogue.

Later or tomorrow will record movie dialogue which hopefully will be clearer.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 21:28 by desray »

Offline wcseow

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 21:51 »
I removed the earlier one. This clip  show more. When there are effects sounds, get worse. :(
There is a squirrel screeching sound in another clip that is bad too

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-a__RL_ZnK0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-a__RL_ZnK0&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 22:01 by wcseow »

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 22:06 »
Assuming the constant hissing is background atmosphere sound, I really couldn't say that the occasional sibilance was too excessive bro. But of course you had benefit of comparing to previous set and it sounds different to you...
My marantz Avr has something called "cinemaEq", suppose to smooth high frequencies. Not sure if onkyo has sthg similar?

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 22:25 »
Assuming the constant hissing is background atmosphere sound, I really couldn't say that the occasional sibilance was too excessive bro. But of course you had benefit of comparing to previous set and it sounds different to you...
My marantz Avr has something called "cinemaEq", suppose to smooth high frequencies. Not sure if onkyo has sthg similar?

Wont you hear sound muffled when you ON cinema Eq ? thats why marantz recommend to OFF it.
Maybe I should try then turn ON dialog enhancer  :)

@wcseow
Perhaps you may try other wall power socket.. make sure ground and neutral are connected correctly (use below tester get from carousell cheap cheap nia)
Bring it to Onkyo if you still hear.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 22:30 by whitesox »

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 22:30 »
Yah, I don't use it. Just that after listening to the clip, it may boil down to system matching and different sound signature, so suggested this option if available.