Author Topic: Need some help on sibilance  (Read 3035 times)

Online synthesis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need some help on sibilance
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 22:01 »
Try to increase subwoofer level or Bass level to balance the freq response.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 06:11 »
Try to increase subwoofer level or Bass level to balance the freq response.

Thanks. Tried that without success. :(

Offline wcseow

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 06:24 »
Thanks for all the inputs.

Since I intends to have another setup in my other room, am thinking of buying some gears to try to resolve the current situation.

Initial options are

1. Buy a new centre speaker since dialogue impact is the most annoying

2. Buy a new AVR

3. Buy a complete set of Front n Centre

Any recommendations on the options and brands eek be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 06:30 »
I would do the following:

establish a simple amp & speaker setup with known good amplifier and known good speakers. Don’t use any of the suspect speakers or AVR.

Use this setup for the below tests:

1) test the suspect speakers with a known good amplifier.  If sounds normal, speaker problem.
2) test the suspect AVR with known good speakers. If sounds normal, AVR problem.

If both scenarios sounds the same, then re-adjust expectations.

Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 07:31 »
Does it also happen with tuner source (radio)?

As suggested in an earlier post, might be worthwhile taking the AVR  to the service center . Before you do so, use your phone to video the problem so that you can show the technician. Bring along a copy of your source material for testing @ service center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline wcseow

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 08:22 »

establish a simple amp & speaker setup with known good amplifier and known good speakers. Don’t use any of the suspect speakers or AVR.

1) test the suspect speakers with a known good amplifier.  If sounds normal, speaker problem.
2) test the suspect AVR with known good speakers. If sounds normal, AVR problem.

I have a pair of good known Mission bookshelf speakers, LX2 but not a good known AVR.

Can I connect one of the LX2 as the centre speaker to test whether the LX-C is the culprit?

I am too wondering whether eventually it will come down to a inherent Onkyo/Mission matching behaviour. As such and if so, thinking of replacing either the Onkyo or the Missions

Offline wcseow

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 08:27 »
Does it also happen with tuner source (radio)?

As suggested in an earlier post, might be worthwhile taking the AVR  to the service center . Before you do so, use your phone to video the problem so that you can show the technician. Bring along a copy of your source material for testing @ service center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not using the tuner. Will connect up the antenna and test it.

Offline SiaOLiaO

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 09:16 »
I am using the RZ730 with ribbon tweeter speakers, if there is any excessive sibilance it should be very obvious. I have listened to the speaker through RZ730 onboard amplifiers as well as external power amp, both ways sounded fine.

My speculation is that either you have a faulty set or faulty calibration mic or like many others mentioned, could be the way that your speakers are calibrated. Could you share how did you place the mic during calibration?
- Onkyo TX-RZ730 - Epson HC4010 - Monitor Audio PL100 - Rythmik LVX12 - KK DXD808 - Monitor Audio PLC150 - Dali Opticon LCR Surround - Javes Motorised Screen - Xbox One X - Chord Epic Twin - Nordost Blue Heaven - AFA Aphrodite Power Cords - Belden Power Cords -

Offline wcseow

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 09:38 »
I am using the RZ730 with ribbon tweeter speakers, if there is any excessive sibilance it should be very obvious. I have listened to the speaker through RZ730 onboard amplifiers as well as external power amp, both ways sounded fine.

My speculation is that either you have a faulty set or faulty calibration mic or like many others mentioned, could be the way that your speakers are calibrated. Could you share how did you place the mic during calibration?

I mount the calibration mic on a tripod and include the standing wave calibration as well.

Have tested the setup without calibration with the same results.

I have a Onkyo LS7200 that has a calibration mic too. Can I use that to eradicate the Mic possibility?

Thanks

Offline SiaOLiaO

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 09:53 »
Hi, you mean the sound was the same with or without calibration? Was there any differences before and after calibration?
I think it would be good to change the mic and test again but since you are getting excessive sibilance from the start then maybe it's not the calibration anymore.
- Onkyo TX-RZ730 - Epson HC4010 - Monitor Audio PL100 - Rythmik LVX12 - KK DXD808 - Monitor Audio PLC150 - Dali Opticon LCR Surround - Javes Motorised Screen - Xbox One X - Chord Epic Twin - Nordost Blue Heaven - AFA Aphrodite Power Cords - Belden Power Cords -

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 10:05 »

+1
I suggest you unhook all connections first. Try the amp with a single speaker that you know works well with the Denon, so you know it's not the speaker that's at fault.
Then use this speaker on all the channels. Play a source which you know is 100% familiar and has no noise. Eg from a USB drive.

All the best.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline econav

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 11:26 »
here it say ALL channel...........
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
All used items will not come with cable.
For viewing of used items. text@96387418
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 11:27 »
here it say ALL channel...........
Yep
Suspect some connection is causing the noise..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline econav

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 11:28 »

I got it on all speakers and all sources (xbox one x, ps4, netflix via xbox and TV) using All Channel Stereo mode to test).

I have come across a onkyo 809 with SCV vs ANT , once disconnect that ANT > All good liao.
here it say , without source playing > No and with and increae vol getting louder > input = source > chk = 1)remove all HDMI or any input connected to the AVR 2) power up your AVR with only all the spk connected without even the sub RCA 3) now you are testing the AVR with spk all connected no source and no sub 4) power up the AVR and hear any shsshs.... if hv avr issue 5) increase the vol is getting louder and if so AVR issue , beco without any source you should not get any sound or any noise at all.....

Next step......
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:49 by econav »
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
All used items will not come with cable.
For viewing of used items. text@96387418
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968

Offline wcseow

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 12:25 »
This is what I have done in the morning, albeit taking a lazier way..lol

AVR as mono mode, so only centre speaker witn AccuEQ off

1. Disconnect all speakers on the speaker end. Guess it is the easiest.
2. Connect the centre speaker only and play a CD. In this case, Roxy's Avalon. The s, t, c etc has distinct zzzz sound to the point of being annoying. And sounds seems dirtier too.

2. Replacd the centre with LX2, known good in the sense it is all along connected to Denon CEOL N9. Play the same source and it is sounds much more comfortable though more boxy. But it is never annoying though

3. Replace the CEOL LX2 with the surround LX2 with similar results. I believe at least this clears the surrounds.

I am just not sure whether the centre speaker results is due to its characteristics or that it is faulty. Any advise?

I am abandoning all All Ch Stereo tests to be on the safe side. Probably will spend the effort in the afternoon to remove the AVR from the console and do what a a few has suggested. Start clean