Author Topic: Share your HT upgrade and wish list for 2019  (Read 4700 times)

Offline iceflight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Re: Share your HT upgrade and wish list for 2019
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 22:46 »
waiting for my sony 4k projector. https://pro.sony/en_SG/products/4k-sxrd-projectors/vpl-vw570es

then replace my 2 Atmos to 4 Atmos in ceiling. Then my HT is about done. DArn.. I think the Storm would have been kickass if not that I've got the Marantz.

I am having fun with htpc rendering with MADvr. It seems everyone here mostly use Bluray Player. wondering why? The pic quality is technically is better on htpc and the source is more convenient.

Offline iceflight

• Snr Member
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 22:58 »
Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC N7 quite delayed. That's why I'm getting the Sony first. Really wondering should I wait for the N7? The blacks will be better than Sony but what about the rest... I read a lot of mix comments from owners of sony while the JVC are not out yet.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 23:02 »
JVC N7 quite delayed. That's why I'm getting the Sony first. Really wondering should I wait for the N7? The blacks will be better than Sony but what about the rest... I read a lot of mix comments from owners of sony while the JVC are not out yet.
Yes, it's been delayed till end of 1st QTR of next year.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 23:28 »
Any idea on the Sony price? The delay will be quite a while especially for me as I’m looking at white chassis which is unlikely to come in first batch.

Offline iceflight

• Snr Member
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 23:33 »
Any idea on the Sony price? The delay will be quite a while especially for me as I’m looking at white chassis which is unlikely to come in first batch.

$14.5k I was quoted from AV1.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 23:39 »
$14.5k I was quoted from AV1.

Ah, this is out of my range even if I stretch my budget :D

IMHO, at this price I feel N7 will be a safer bet with tone mapping and the claimed 100% BT2020
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 23:44 by ralfale »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 06:26 »
JVC latest offerings seems more exciting but I would say SONY is a league of their own when it comes to true native 4K imagery. If you value contrast black levels and the amount of “pop” in your movies, JVC will be the preferred choice. Both companies utilise the same LCoS panels except each implement it in a different manner. JVC called it DiLA whole SONY names it SXRD. JVC is able to achieve deeper blacks while Sony edges out in bright colourful scenes. Sony is brilliant in day scenes and the vividness in color reproduction is very good. JVC input lag between switching sources really pissed me off at times but for the newer NX models, the company has promised input lag in source switching will be reduced drastically by 50% which sounded more tolerable.

Either one you pick, you will not regret as both brands are hallmark for 4K in home theatre projectors for the longest time. If you want the projector now and budget within your range, then I say go for it.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 06:35 »
Ah, this is out of my range even if I stretch my budget :D

IMHO, at this price I feel N7 will be a safer bet with tone mapping and the claimed 100% BT2020

This comes at a price with a filter. It will drastically remove the lumen output by at least 30% or more which may limit the potential of HDR. But what I’m looking at here is auto tone-mapping which will help to boost up certain elements in the visuals when the need arises using the MaxCLL and MaxFALL meta data from the source. It will not be as good as laser projector but if we are able to control the lighting condition in our viewing environment and the picture not hitting more than 120” using lens memory for zooming etc, then I think JVC NX series should be competent.

Offline c722

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 12:32 »
the only real selling point of JVC is the auto-tone mapping. (apart from price).
... there are so much hype on this... at one point you may wonder, what if it doesn't deliver... Today I feel the Sony 4Ks are doing very well, something you have a real sample to see.

tone mapping can be done in player... I read lots of good stuff on Panasonic players' "HDR Optimizer".... that is not an expensive player..

btw this year for me it'll probably be the screen (change of fabric only if possible...)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 13:00 »
the only real selling point of JVC is the auto-tone mapping. (apart from price).
... there are so much hype on this... at one point you may wonder, what if it doesn't deliver... Today I feel the Sony 4Ks are doing very well, something you have a real sample to see.

tone mapping can be done in player... I read lots of good stuff on Panasonic players' "HDR Optimizer".... that is not an expensive player..

btw this year for me it'll probably be the screen (change of fabric only if possible...)

Rest assured, if it turned out to be a boo boo, I will state it as such. Agreed the selling points include true native 4K panel (no more e-Shift unless we are talking about 8K model) and of course the auto tone mapping.

I firmly believe that the projector side will handle auto tone mapping much better than a player can but that’s just me. All will be revealed when I get my hands on one for review.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2018, 13:28 »
For me,

1) finish calibrating my TV for hdr and SDR using chromapure

2) AVR - Hope to change my AVR to one with Dirac live. Maybe NAD
and do away without power amp.

3) LCR Speakers - might change to lower price point model as I got no time for HT this 2-3 years due to baby

Offline ralfale

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2018, 13:33 »
When I compared the low range jvc (eshift) Vs Sony (native 4k), I still prefer the colour n pop of JVC. Hence, this newer range is very exciting what it can bring to the table with native 4k improvement and tone mapping.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 13:35 »
For me,

1) finish calibrating my TV for hdr and SDR using chromapure

2) AVR - Hope to change my AVR to one with Dirac live. Maybe NAD
and do away without power amp.

3) LCR Speakers - might change to lower price point model as I got no time for HT this 2-3 years due to baby

Congrats, spending time with baby will certainly bring you more joy and fulfillment ;)

Offline lampsy86

• Snr Member
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2018, 02:30 »
A new place !

A 16ft*16ft*8ft wide space for HT setup with the wife's approval !!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:33 by lampsy86 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2019, 10:03 »
I’m evaluating both Zidoo X9S and AppleTV. But I’m still drawn to the HTPC route. True that the laptop has to go. :)

4K pj is on the cards now that we are in the UHD HDR era. Disappointing that laser 4K pjs still has some ways to go.

I’m using Apple TV 4K. It finally can pass through Atmos soundtrack for Netflix. You can use either Plex or InFuse Pro. Take note that Atmos soundtrack only allowed for selected apps like Netflix for instance. Playing MKV files with Atmos track still not able to work. Thanks to Apple for disallowing complete pass through for Atmos.

Apart from that, HDR and Dolby Vision also allowed on Netflix.

If you are not a Netflix subscriber, then don’t waste your money on Apple TV 4K. Get a dedicated media player that does pretty much everything.