Author Topic: Dark grey tone projection screen for better contrast ( Pic updated )  (Read 890 times)

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
The usual light grey tone & light silver is still available but recent craze are out .... Black screen or Dark Grey Screen

In the recent years there is a few type of material made by manufacturer from USA ,Europe , Korea and Taiwan

It has a lot of great application from Ultra short Throw Projector ( UST ) couple with the Lenticular surface grey screen ( ALR )

There is a hi resolution "Deep Dark Grey" for lens type like Short throw ,  Mid Throw and Long Throw lens type .

By Changing the screen you will gain better contrast and black levels .

I will try to send the picture later :
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 16:58 by alf »
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg

First two are with lights on and the setting is different .
The second two is full lights off yet the white scene are still clear and have depth .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Amazing!

What’s the damage?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • I predicted overhead spkrs 10 yrs ago.
Hot spot? Reflective? Brightness uniformity?
ATMOS and Auro ready! 15 surr spkrs . Time to optimize

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Alf what do they look like without an image projected on them?
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline mutant

• Trade Count: (0)
Looks nice..!    What are the drawbacks?
Coincidence also have met all the members in this thread; Alf, petetherock, Jag, wizardofoz   ;D

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
is the fabric (perforated) available for DIY purchase?
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric.

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg
Let me share on what is the projector I am using for the testing ,it is JVC 1080 p 1300 ansi lumen contrast ratio is 50,000:1(Older model ). It is place on TOP of a shelf with lens shift down ( it is not inverted ) In recent years different brand Home Theatre is at 1800 to 2200 ansi lumen which will work even better with these new screen material .

These material is Deep Dark Grey in tone , it is a diffusion type ( projector don’t need to invert to optimize gain ) viewing cone is 135 degree . There is no hot spotting effects  / I do have another material which does  ( commercial usage ) . The surface is hi resolution for UHD or 4K content . This Ambient Light rejection material is ideal for standard mid throw lens ( most good or well made projector )
Few velvet colour option for frames Bright Orange ,Electric Blues , Sandy Brown , Light Brown , Dark Brown & Black . ( I still like Black velvet )

The application and projection effects is fanstastic , you can use Movies Pitch Black or with some ambient lights , Karaoke mode setting , Football setting and KIDs and Wify TV ,Games and Cartoon setting . Another new ways of how to decor your Home Theatre is to put LED strips and with colour changeable setting around the edge .

For maintaintainece you can use 3M cloth and water to clean , best part your will not see any spots or yellowish stains on these material .

For installation it does not require special handling it is a flexible material like the conventional Poly vinyl base that can be stretch .

More critical part is the value price for 100” 16 :9 format starts from $ 1680 .

Hope I manage to answer all you bros question .

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
No AT options I suppose?

Offline sypderman88

Hi,

Will it cost color shift or gamma shift as the base material color is dark gray?

Offline alf

• www.entheos.com.sg

Just up loaded another image source too hi- light 3 things, which may give you guys some visual performance on the screen.
The source is from Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray and send on the same projector .

A) The front view is to show there is no "Hot Spot " base on a bright scene with more white back ground image .

B) From the side view is to show case the wide viewing angle with no drastic drop.

c) Look at the measuring instrument show the "Lux meter 94” generally most environment will range from 40 to 80 Lux . ( Curtain covering windows indoor environment )

Answer : Wilber & Ralfale this material does not come is perforation or AT type technically not easy to make .
              I am only able to replace those new Model fixed screen from Cyrus Cine Projection screen .

Mutant & Spyderman88 this is for those wants to have a change in their viewing style or those who are looking at more deeper blacks without changing projector ( Dark room application)

This new products from Cyrus Screen give you more options in your Home Theatre application, there will be some trade off as it is not for the "Purist HT Fan" which will prefer ST 1.3 or Native white material. If you try to recall from this forum there is one topic about some different and big brands  " Ambient Light Rejection Screen " . I guess you have to view it for yourself and see if you like it or not .

Hope I am able answer most of you bros out there . 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 21:11 by alf »

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Alf can you show a pic without the image displayed...ie what it looks like just as a drop on the wall colour and shade wise
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
Looks impressive and very functional. Even if not "purist" but looks like the trade off is worth it.

Offline rock123

Alf can you show a pic without the image displayed...ie what it looks like just as a drop on the wall colour and shade wise

Yah alf possible to show how it look like on wall without any image displayed?
and may i know the biggest 16:9 fix screen it can go up to?
Thank you v much.

Cheers.
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover
Motorized 16:9\2:35 150" Screen
BenQ W1070+ Short Throw 3D DLP 1080p
Samsung 3D LED UA60ES8000J
Egreat A5 Professional 4K Blu-ray HDD Media Player
Flagship Onkyo AV Network Receiver RZ-3100 11.2
Rythmik FV15HP
Bowers and Wilkins DM603 S1
Definitive Technology PROCINEMA SERIES
ProMonitor 1000 L & R