Author Topic: Starke Sound Sw12 - first impressions  (Read 10112 times)

Offline lcheetec

• Trade Count: (0)
Starke Sound Sw12 - first impressions
« on: November 11, 2018, 17:07 »
The sub is very well made, but the three control knobs were interesting. All 3 felt different, and varied in how  smooth they turned. Might be a slight QA issue, but worked normally/ok.

After checking the voltage setting and plugging in the IEC power cord (the sub comes with one with an American head, so I had to use one of mine), I initially used the unbalanced output from my Emotiva Basx PT-100 preamp into the L input on the sub. Turned everything on, nothing. It wasn't playing. This same output fed my Orisun up until a few mins before, so I know it was working.

Switched over to the Red/R input, and all was well, so take note. Perhaps in the future, I might try the balanced input, but seeing as my pre doesn't have a balanced output, might not make sense.

After a day of listening yesterday, and more this evening, playing first Saint Saens, Dallas Wind Symphony, Kunzel conducting The Cincinnati Pops on 1812, Daft Punk, AC/DC then Jurassic Park, some  observations.

The little (comparatively) sub rocks. I could actually feel/more of the "lock" it had in the hall/dining area on certain places in the tracks, especially on The Organ Symphony. On Daft Punk, which has heavy bass-laden rifts throughout, it was quite enjoyable. The Darth Vader toy I put on it literally bounced throughout Get Lucky.

Did it go deeper than the Orisun, I couldn't tell since I didn't play anything that had content down so low it made a difference. However, since the Orisun was in the system a long time, and I've set it carefully over many hundreds of hours of listening, it was practically invisible, as in, I could not localize it when it played.

And perhaps I turned up the SW12 more (since it was new and I was trying to get a handle on how it sounds), I could easily localize where it was. I'll be doing more calibrating over the weekend, since I just started a new job.

However, it's a great little subwoofer, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Daniel

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:45 by lcheetec »

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Starke Sound Sw12 - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 00:59 »
Thanks for the feedback,

The sub is very well made, but the three control knobs were interesting. All 3 felt different, and varied in how  smooth they turned. Might be a slight QA issue, but worked normally/ok.

I checked a set and notice the knobs may have pushed in till touching the plate , pls try pull out a bit, so that is a small gap between the knobs and the plate-amp.

After checking the voltage setting and plugging in the IEC power cord (the sub comes with one with an American head, so I had to use one of mine), I initially used the unbalanced output from my Emotiva Basx PT-100 preamp into the L input on the sub. Tuned everything on, nothing. It wasn't playing. This same output fed my Orisun up until a few mins before, so I know it was working.
Likely is beco of the first time power up and the auto switch have not fully working/kick in yet , pls power it up and wait for 10s and connect the same signal cable to the L input to confirm and then insert to the R input to test , both should work and if not I will replace it. ( when the circuit detected in coming signal, the Led will turn blue , first time power up may take abit longer<10s , as all component are new)

Switched over to the Red/R input, and all was well, so take note.
it could be by the time you connect it to the R input ,the auto start just kick in , so pls connect it to the L now to double confirm .

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:10 by econav »
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:29 »
Thanks for the feedback,

Thanks. I will give it a go, all your suggestions, this evening.

daniel

Offline econav

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 15:58 »
To all interested on this SW 12 sub,

Many whatsapp me,wanted to buy this sub at the 11.11 offer price , but I am sorry the offer is over.

Many have trade in their used sub for this and few have 2 sets on their setup , I will not disclose who they are , except they come in here and commend, as I believe what user commend is better then spec and sales talk, what service they received is better then what we say.

If you have question on this SW-12, please post here and I believe some user will come in and reply you.
We will open another Black Friday sales/pre-order soon , if you still keen please check sales post.

Thanks for all your support
Peng
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:39 by econav »
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline econav

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 00:05 »
all post

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 11:08 »
Peng, I will like to take this opportunity to remind you that the purpose of having this official thread for Starke product range is for sharing of reviews on performance, specs and features...and NOT blatantly put up promotional advertisements to entice members into buying. If you want to do that, pls do it in the right forum - sales and MO forum which we have allowed dealers to post their products in an open and transparent manner.

While I applaud you for the continuous efforts to bring in *new* products to the members here in X'tremeplace forum and for that we are grateful. However pls do adhere to the forum rules of not doing hard selling. If the products are good, word of mouth will spread from the members using it.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:53 »
Thanks. I will give it a go, all your suggestions, this evening.

daniel
Put a Subdude-II under the SW12 last night. Not enough time to detect any difference yet, but I am excited.

Watching Star Trek Discovery now. Nice, subtle.

Daniel
2 Feb 2019

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline rayleh

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 08:25 »
I can see that your sub is sitting on the carpet so do you still need a Subdue-II? I feel a DSP may be a better option for tuning / enhancing the bass if that is what you are looking for.

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37 »
I can see that your sub is sitting on the carpet so do you still need a Subdue-II? I feel a DSP may be a better option for tuning / enhancing the bass if that is what you are looking for.
Nah, was looking to have some fun, even if it doesn't make sense.

And it's really well made. I bought the HT, realized it was way too big, and sold it. One forum bro using the FV-18 (I think) bought it off me.

Daniel

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:43 by lcheetec »

Online sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 09:11 »
I will normally do away with the subdude , good footers will do a better job .

Offline lcheetec

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 09:16 »
I will normally do away with the subdude , good footers will do a better job .
After a small fight, and having to go direct to the US, I'm getting footers too.

Got sets of Vibrapod Isolators and Cones. Should arrive in a few days.

Daniel

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 11:41 »
Looking for some comments here...I have been using a single svs pb13ultra for some years now and it’s always performed flawlessly.

How would the performance of 2 x sw12 be by comparisons?

75% music to 25% movies and my processor supports dual subs with Dirac (v1)

Size and positioning aside...not sure 2 smaller subs will be better WAF than the big svs

Maybe a couple of kk 808’s might have better waf...can place main bookshelf speakers on top? Isolated of course.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:15 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline rayleh

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 22:23 »
Coming from a single sub to dual subs, the bass is smoother and more even. Used to have spots where I can’t feel much bass but now I feel more even and impactful. SW12 may not dig as low as PB13 but the 12 incher should be faster especially you are more into music.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 23:31 »
I'm going to Earth Sound next time I'm in the area to check out the options so when the time comes I have a some ideas in my head already. Dual KK's might be a better bet, but will see what's what...out of touch a long time in the new HT scene.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 17:02 »
Got myself a SW12 too... will try to run it in for a while. So far, pretty good. But haven't really pushed it hard yet.