Author Topic: Porting Home Line from one provider to another  (Read 1131 times)

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Porting Home Line from one provider to another
« on: October 29, 2018, 21:16 »

Hi friends
I am currently with Starhub, and may go back to Singtel for fibre and landline.
I had been using an analogue Singtel line for my old home and this was ported effortlessly to Starhub when I shifted. Singtel wanted to charge me a retaining monthly fee!

Now that I have to move again, I was exploring if I can go from Starhub to other vendors for fibre, and port over this line, which is now digital.
I don't mind it is is digital, or analogue, so long as I can retain the phone no, but without a monthly retaining charge.

Any tips or has anyone done this recently?

Thanks!

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Porting Home Line from one provider to another
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 21:54 »
pete, if you want to retain the no. afaik, you've to pay quarterly retaining service. they don't charge by per month. they charge 3 months at one go.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Online petetherock

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 22:04 »
pete, if you want to retain the no. afaik, you've to pay quarterly retaining service. they don't charge by per month. they charge 3 months at one go.
That's the issue, I talked to a Singtel exclusive shop today and they mentioned a retaining fee. That's not good and not money well spent.
If I were to keep my current plan, can I pay the porting over to a new address fee? It may be cheaper.. i.e. keep the existing plan beyond the run out date?
Finally it seems that if I stay with Starhub, I can port over the number free?

My gear:

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 22:48 »
reading through what others had done before. it seems like you have to meet the requirements,
- old number has no bundle or no more plan
- sign up with new fibre provider, you've to request new provider to port over existing number from existing provider.
looking through their requests, it seems to be pain in the ass as it can take days to weeks to get it port over. which also means pay double providers.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline Knight_Rider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 16:32 »
Digital line is FOC. What retaining fee?

Offline KopiOkaya

• Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 16:56 »
Don't let Stinktel exploit you. Talk to them until they give it to you free. Make a trip to Comcentre if possible. I always go there whenever I need something done right. No point talking to those exclusive shops. They either provide me with incorrect or misguided information.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 17:01 by KopiOkaya »
Cable termination and repair services for a reasonable fee. Whatsapp Larry at 98805223.

Online petetherock

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 07:57 »
Thanks bro
I did go down, and they now offer free porting and I can even go from digital to analogue. That way my mum has a phone she can use when there’s a blackout.
The lead time for a survey crew is about two weeks. OpenNet does the fibre installation and it’s a separate team and you have to book them a couple of weeks in advance. The timing should coincide with the time you are doing cabling and concealment.
Currently Singtel has a 1gb plan with free 4 months subscription which works out to 44.90 and the home line is included.
I’m keeping a lookout for deals around December.

My gear:

Offline kardtoon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:23 »
Last time they wanted to charge me a fee to run analog cable in from nearest switch terminal to my house. I think a few k. So I told them not to bother and just went full digital.

If there is blackout, just use mobile phone.

Online petetherock

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 15:49 »
I got an appointment from opennet for an installation, and they agreed to run the cable via the trunking we buried, but I found this picture very useful:
FYI

My gear: