Author Topic: How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
« on: October 27, 2018, 10:25 »
Over the years, I know most of us have invested copious amounts of money into an HT system without even blinking an eye.

But this morning, I just sat in our "entry level" Home Theater room and I am playing Pacific Rim UHD (first one - the better one by far) through a modest system like this:
Anthem MRX720 Dolby Atmos playing 5.1.2 with
B&W 603 front
B&W HTM6 centre
B&W 606 surround
B&W ASW610XP system
KEF Q50a
Loewe 55" bild 4.55 OLED TV

and I have to say I was really immersed in it.

Have we made our HT system more complex for complexity's sake? With preamp processors and multi channel power amps etc.

Granted - I believe the MRX720 is the reason for why the whole system works so well together with good clean power but the MRX720 works out less than a Marantz SR7012 here and it sounded way better than a similar set up I sold a customer a year ago.

I think for my next place, I am going to keep it simple - MRX1120 or equivalent, KEF LS50 x 7s, Q50a x 4.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Re: How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:25 »
;D "spent" or "invested"? My current HT system, I don't remember spending more than $12k for the entire system (Denon 7200WA, Anthony Gallo speakers, Rythmik E15HP - 5.1.4) including sources like Media player & Bluray player, still quite happy till date with lesser time spent on it too. My boy took much of the time for his kiddo fix than my movies fix. I will probably overhaul once he is older while keeping a lookout for DIRAC based AVR while the rest remained intact.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:27 by Tiktokape »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 17:32 »
Over the years, I know most of us have invested copious amounts of money into an HT system without even blinking an eye.

But this morning, I just sat in our "entry level" Home Theater room and I am playing Pacific Rim UHD (first one - the better one by far) through a modest system like this:
Anthem MRX720 Dolby Atmos playing 5.1.2 with
B&W 603 front
B&W HTM6 centre
B&W 606 surround
B&W ASW610XP system
KEF Q50a
Loewe 55" bild 4.55 OLED TV

and I have to say I was really immersed in it.

Have we made our HT system more complex for complexity's sake? With preamp processors and multi channel power amps etc.

Granted - I believe the MRX720 is the reason for why the whole system works so well together with good clean power but the MRX720 works out less than a Marantz SR7012 here and it sounded way better than a similar set up I sold a customer a year ago.

I think for my next place, I am going to keep it simple - MRX1120 or equivalent, KEF LS50 x 7s, Q50a x 4.

I think you, me and sdds are the ones who have ditched the Japanese AVR for an American brand. Not saying Japanese brand not good...Denon is still one of my fave Japanese brand featuring my pre-loved Audyssey calibration algorithm but ever since I listened to the Anthem MRX AVR, I' had come to realize how much "oomph" I am missing from movies - even the "depth-charge" scenes from U-571 took a whole new level of "movie-sounding" experience all over again for me.

Its sad that local dealers like Hwee Seng did not do justice to this brand...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 17:32 »
;D "spent" or "invested"? My current HT system, I don't remember spending more than $12k for the entire system (Denon 7200WA, Anthony Gallo speakers, Rythmik E15HP - 5.1.4) including sources like Media player & Bluray player, still quite happy till date with lesser time spent on it too. My boy took much of the time for his kiddo fix than my movies fix. I will probably overhaul once he is older while keeping a lookout for DIRAC based AVR while the rest remained intact.

Wise move...

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 17:41 »
I think you, me and sdds are the ones who have ditched the Japanese AVR for an American brand....
Once one goes Western... There's no looking back @ the Eastern moon...
I started with Sherwood, sticker with Singapore built Philips n China built Philips.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 17:48 »
Should I'm to get a replacement system in case of current setup goes kaput... AMDK engineered NAD will be my entry door to the west wing, the Onkyo to the east wing.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 17:48 »
Once one goes Western... There's no looking back @ the Eastern moon...
I started with Sherwood, sticker with Singapore built Philips n China built Philips.

I personally believe the eastern brand AVR is better as an all-rounder performer - both in music and movies (for higher end)...the American and European brands tends to perform effortlessly well in the movie department but when it comes to music reproduction, the Japanese brands will have a slight edge.

My 2 cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 18:24 »
This part gets me confused... Are u saying that Anthem is not priced:
-much premium high enuff given it's performance
-or not low enuff to get wider exposure to counter the Japanese marques popularity?

I'm with the latter u know... When there's competition, there's improvement on technical n performance in engineering. It's like Sherwood n Carver n Adcom in the past against the 4 major Japanese marques with additional contestants from Sony n Marantz.

No marketing effort to push. I literally found out from Anthem official webpage to get to know that Hwee Seng is the appointed dealer here in Singapore. There is little to no mention of Anthem products here in Singapore.

This is the part that I feel rather disappointed.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 18:24 »
......Hwee Seng did not do justice to this brand...
This part gets me confused... Are u saying that Anthem is not priced:
-much premium high enuff given it's performance
-or not low enuff to get wider exposure to counter the Japanese marques popularity?

I'm with the latter u know... When there's competition, there's improvement on technical n performance in engineering. It's like Sherwood n Carver n Adcom in the past against the 4 major Japanese marques with additional contestants from Sony n Marantz n Nakamichi.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 18:37 »
No marketing effort to push...
Marketing adds additional costs to the already high cost operation of businesses...
First heat often falls on the property of operation. Logistics as well as Administration n Marketing.
Follows by the costs inflicted from local logistic operations as well as shipping from manufacturer.
Lastly, staffing. Sales n logistic operation may be standard, technical know how on aftersales support is costly ... For

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 18:48 »
Marketing adds additional costs to the already high cost operation of businesses...
First heat often falls on the property of operation. Logistics as well as Administration n Marketing.
Follows by the costs inflicted from local logistic operations as well as shipping from manufacturer.
Lastly, staffing. Sales n logistic operation may be standard, technical know how on aftersales support is costly ... For

What’s the point of being appointed as the dealer and not even make an effort to push?!

All these are excuses as far as I’m concerned. U r in the AV business. What’s the talk about cost and training of staff have to do with sale?

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 19:39 »
Sometimes is all about mindset. Back to basics , if just want to sit down and enjoy a simple movie night with family, don't really need to burst our budget.

The expectations totally swing if want to play demo scene, emulate the best home setup you have experienced , want clarity , solid punch and deep rumble, sometimes got to spend to get quality.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 19:44 »
Nah... I'm not in the AV Consumer Electronics business... But being in consumer product company, I saw the impact of what marketing costs can do to business costs n eventually effecting the whole company operation here in SGP, then finally how poor impression can sticks to old customers as well as potential new...

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 19:53 »
There are generally 3types of consumers in the market.
One group that easily suckered into Marketing.
One group that studies deep into component n engineering eventually experiencing.
The last that do both.

I belongs to that niche middle group that doesn't clicks well with Marketing n Sales ppl, but firm believer base on studying what specs under the hood, as well as how the maker do well in the business of that product type... BestDenki sales staff @ Vivo n Taka hates me when I asked for remotes to explore their TVs.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 19:55 »
What’s the point of being appointed as the dealer and not even make an effort to push?!

All these are excuses as far as I’m concerned. U r in the AV business. What’s the talk about cost and training of staff have to do with sale?

Marketing is one thing. Service is another. I always consider the service quality when I put in the money for AV equipments. This is especially true when equipments are priced high. Are there training for the service guys or does the company just hire someone who can hold a soldering iron? I suspect most dealers are of the latter. A company who sells through dealers who are not marketing and servicing the products right is irresponsible and is also to blame.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 19:59 by kaydee6 »