Author Topic: Social Enterprise Hawker Centres seetoh  (Read 7724 times)

Offline qflyer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Social Enterprise Hawker Centres seetoh
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 13:34 »
Cashless payment has not helped.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 14:16 by qflyer »

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 18:41 »
So according to the Hawker Centre Public Consultation Panel, not for profit does not mean not for profit. What does it mean then?
Like that you win liao loh. 🙄
https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2018/10/25/hawker-centre-public-consultation-panel-chairman-not-for-profit-doesnt-mean-dont-make-profit/
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline HoSaybo

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 22:59 »
its not realistic for cost to go back 10 or even 5 years ago. but many of those terms are hard or nearly impossible to meet. 500 pages long.
its also very tough to meet expectation too. consumers will complain at high price or turn away. at low price those guys could hardly make a profit.
you guys should visit tampines hub and see for yourself. where can you find a bowl of hot steaming noodle at $2.8? 1 big problem is people do not help to clear utensils after eating.
Go back to basic... I can find a cai peng stall in Jurong East hawker center and get one meat 2 veg at $2.50. One of the last few standings unfortunately.

Offline HoSaybo

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2018, 23:02 »
Even the institution is going down the hill. In NTU, the good old canteens are now run by the big boys and only NIE canteen remains truly affordable.

Offline qflyer

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 22:08 »
Hawkers used to prepare, cook, collect and wash the utensils. But now hardly any washing Its good that way for consumers  hygiene. Unless you want to bring and wash your own utensils.
Amother hygiene problem is dirty utensils are left on the tables.  Nowsaday i can birds picking on leftover foods and bird poos on the tables. Birds are carriers of parasites and germs. Therefore consumers , you and me must do our part to help clear the utensils
Do the right thing.
Remember bird flu and sars.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 23:12 by qflyer »

Online Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 07:44 »
Centralised clearing and washing makes a lot of sense. They already existed before SEHC.
Crony SEHC companies took advantage of the centralised model to make more profit by implementing modern slavery methods. Just so sad.
Need to just get back to original hawker center intent and objectives: (a) cluster together street vendors into an area, (b) impose hygiene standards, (c) reasonable rent; (d) directly managed by NEA.
They can earmark a few as showcase to tourists/Unesco/whatever. Leave the majority as originally intended for the benefit of general public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline qflyer

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2018, 12:40 »
you cant impose hygiene standards on consumers who refuse to return used utensils. 20 cents deposit and discount have not work.
so much for our responsibility.
the next sars or bird flu outbreak could be more deadly than the previous.

Offline andylovesaudio

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2018, 14:07 »
Amazing. I am convinced Singapore is the only first world country where such a large percentage of people don't want to bus their own tables in self service eating establishments. Hygiene...Schmygiene ... it's rude. It's actually quite shameful. I am sure that other first world countries have their fair share of similar types of people...but probably not so many in one place. Shows we are so young as a nation. And a cash (20 cts) incentive to do something one should do anyway? Shows we are also cheap cheap people who think each other can be bought like that.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 15:03 by andylovesaudio »

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 09:22 »
And a cash (20 cts) incentive to do something one should do anyway? Shows we are also cheap cheap people who think each other can be bought like that.
Are they paying the customers 20 cents as an incentive to return the trays? I thought they are holding our 20 cents for ransom to force us to return the trays to get it back.  ???

Online Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 11:00 »
That's the problem with the incumbent governing attitude, hold 20c/50c/100c ransom as a punitive measure. Everything is priced, if 20c don't work, keep raising it until it works. Really shallow thinking.

The best way to deal with this clearing table issue is to change the social norm, which takes time, maybe 1/3 generation (30 years). Let me explain: Once upon a time, decades ago at a US MNC in Singapore, in the canteen, the expectation was each individual has to clear their tray and deposit near the cleaning area after meal. Everyone did what was expected without fail. Visitors who came by and did not know about the practice were politely informed to do so, or their host will clear for them. Recently when I visited for a meeting, the same practice remains, 30 years later. Surely there are other companies in SG who have this practice for their canteen. No need for punitive measures.

Learning from the above, one can extend and build a tray return social norm among SG public. However, one has to persevere and be patient. No need for punitive measures. As an example: just recent weekend @ Old Airport Rd HC, during the busy dinner period, I saw people already clearing their tray on their own accord (of course not everyone is doing so). Even I cleared our tray, plus the trays left behind by the other couple who shared table with us.

This means that the tray clearing social norm is already taking root. Just need to foster it...no need for punitive measures. My 2c worth of sharing...
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline andylovesaudio

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 13:36 »
Are they paying the customers 20 cents as an incentive to return the trays? I thought they are holding our 20 cents for ransom to force us to return the trays to get it back.  ???

It's a 20cts cash incentive (hawkers paying for incentive though...not the hawker centre operator). Only one hawker centre practicing that I believe. I read that a centre operated by Timbre...$1 deposit for tray upon purchase of food...refund when returned. Like a supermarket shopping cart.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 13:40 by andylovesaudio »

Offline ballhead

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 14:12 »
An entire generation has grown up with Singapore as a Cleaned City, gonna take a while to unlearn that last two alphabets.

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 18:00 »
It's a 20cts cash incentive (hawkers paying for incentive though...not the hawker centre operator). Only one hawker centre practicing that I believe. I read that a centre operated by Timbre...$1 deposit for tray upon purchase of food...refund when returned. Like a supermarket shopping cart.
Haven't they learned by now that this form of 'incentive' does not work in the real life. Singaporean customers are very creative in finding ways around it. ;)
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/customers-find-ways-around-tray-return-system

Offline andylovesaudio

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2018, 00:03 »
Haven't they learned by now that this form of 'incentive' does not work in the real life. Singaporean customers are very creative in finding ways around it. ;)
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/customers-find-ways-around-tray-return-system

Wah... thanks for the link and good read. I only read of 2 centres ...didn’t know there were more concerning this tray fiasco. I spent quite a few years in the US. Often saw funky stuff that people would do but most of them were by winos, ppl from ghetto, kids etc etc. Maybe we should open a new thread ... SG no horse run. But to be fair ... no doubt ... SG still better in many ways than our SE Asian bros and sistas. One example being very few cases of handphone being snatched out of hands in broad daylight. But what makes this laughable is that this tray problem we have is so basic. Nabei...after eat just spend another 30sec to 1min to return tray lah. So BOH eng meh?  Btw...many of the “game of trays” are committed by foreigners too.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 00:21 by andylovesaudio »

Offline qflyer

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2018, 00:41 »
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181025-the-cost-of-keeping-singapore-squeaky-clean
latest from bbc.
. Today, Singaporeans often leave their tray on the table at hawker centres after eating a meal, because they don’t consider it littering, or they think it’s the cleaners’ job to clean up after them
birds are no longer afraid of humans and tends to get aggressive looking for foods. so stop feeding the birds too.
the next disease outbreaks from birds could be worst. i hope i am wrong on this.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 00:43 by qflyer »