Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Diffusors with SMT Wings  (Read 4938 times)

Online ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: My HT Journey resumes. Diffusors with SMT Wings
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 13:53 »
Acoustic treatment is the “last mile” for any HT and your living hall is really very big certainly will benefit from some form of treatment. But Just make sure don’t over-do it. Based on my short listening experience, you need more absorption than reflection. Remember that’s your living hall we are talking about here.

By the way nice diffuser designs etc. Keep those pics coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes desray, totally agree. Need to balance it off with absorption. All the panels I have now are All absorption panels.

What I’ve come to learn is that a combination of both diffusion and absorption yields a very satisfying result, the absorption is focused for lower bass area whilst the diffusion’s for surrounds , back wall and front wall.

I’ve also noticed this is not just any diffusor, it works down to 250hz in the time domain. The results are amazing, a very even diffusion soundfield, and this is far superior to any of the QRD diffusors I’ve tried.

I’ll share again with measurement tools, how I intend to approach this with placement and how this affects what we hear in the end. The key area I’m working on now is how And where we should place them for it to be effective, in that hall. This is the next exercise I need to go through.

Then  probably one final emotiva processor with Dirac , then I’m done for HT.

Online ronildoq

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 14:18 »
And for me...
I have been searching for my ceiling? will 3D wallpaper be able to act as absorber? Do you have any information to get absorber for the ceiling?

Wall paper won’t do anything, don’t waste time.

What most people don’t realise is “placement”, the placement is very important. Similar to your speakers, the diffusors and absorbers work in a similar way. You need to know exactly where to place the panels on the ceiling. Not just put it all over the ceiling.

Think of it this way, the speakers produce direct sound. There is also a reflected sound that bounces off the floor, ceiling and side walls. The physics behind is that the angle of incidence will always equal the angle of reflection.

So 1st, u must identify the reflection point. Where is that sound reflecting off, when u place the speakers at the centre of your room below the tv, example. Ideally , it will be at approximately 40-50 degrees on the ceiling and floor that needs treatment.

How to verify this ? Use REW and umik 1. Measure just the centre speaker, then look at the energy time curve. Then look for the peaks

Any peaks above -20db are the ones that needs attention, so place the panels at respective locations , then measure again, until the peaks are brought down.

You can use the mirror or string technique for this

The point here I’m trying to drive, is not how many panels or area that is covered, it’s where the panels are placed that matters....

The wings does it very well, using the reflected / radiated energy from the room. But all will go to waste, if not placed at the right place

Online ronildoq

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 14:44 »
What is also important to note is that, placement varies. Depending on type room

For HT room, there are many speakers in the room 11 speakers including Atmos, so it’s a real challenge with placement

For critical listening for 2 channel, it’s different again, how we should place then wings

Then for studio, it’s different again.

Placement horizontal or vertical will determine how the energy radiates as well, upwards downwards / side ways left right...

So many things

Online ronildoq

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 17:15 »
SMT Wings just arrived from Europe !!

2 cartons, some of it not mine

Echophon ceiling panels just arrived too, getting the hall ready for 9.4.6 or 7.4.8

Ceiling speakers ready with belden studio 814 speaker cables to be mounted: full monitor audio setup, but I love the MK300 speakers, in wall series, that one is really awesome ! NO SBIR issues

Echophon panels for suspended ceiling with 60kg rockwool density, leaving 3cm air GAP in a 60x60 grid mounting system for bass traps

This will be paired with 16x BAD diffuser panels flanking the Atmos speakers for wider dispersion characteristics

Haven’t unboxed the SMT wings... stay tuned...previously was just 2x 120cm and I was like WOW .. this time round will be 8x, 2 back of MLP, 2x for surrounds, 2x behind mains, two small ones flanking centre channel...

The rest of the 6x MOAB panels will go for dihedral mount ceiling corners for bass trap, supported by another 2 aural aid corner bass traps and 1 psi active bass trap...

Exciting times ahead... the above SMT wings will be pairing the new Lyngdorf MP-50 processor, arriving from Denmark soon, in January19

Stay tuned....

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 19:23 »
A wonderful present for Christmas Looking forward to you thoughts...

Offline whitesox

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 20:00 »
wah.. cool stuff

Received big year-end bonus huh ...  ;D

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 21:45 »
waiting for more picsss
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric.

Online ronildoq

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 21:49 »
will share more pics soon, some of it not mine, some of the forum members tagged along.....

will also share the before and after room response etc

Online ronildoq

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 15:29 »
War zone now at home this morning

Before the dismantling of Atmos

Existing kitchen sliding door

Changing it out to 120kg density rockwool ply door with mass loaded vinyl on the other side, rockwool surface facing hall acting as velocity trap, hopefully can see some nice bass decay times after the change, incomplete version below

Laying foundation for the grid ceiling system

Partially done grid system

60kg density rockwool will sit on the echophon A panels, covered, rockwool to ceiling will have 3-4cm air GAP to work as bass trap ...

With this 595x595 grid system, I can switch about my atmos speakers, swap out the echophon panels for BAD panels, or put in a vicoustic diffuser panel, lotsa flexibility....mounting for ceiling will be, diffusors-absorption-diffusors, all diffusors at extreme left and right, only 2 pieces exactly 40-50 degrees from centre channel speakers left right wings. this will give me the directivity with wider dispersion and soundstage

Uncle who installed for me, very experienced, he said ok, will help me install The SMT panels as well, very nice!! very cincai also, not calculative, I like

Online ronildoq

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 23:27 »
More pics...

Grid type with one of the Atmos speakers

How it was mounted onto the echophon, then with the wood pieces resting on the grid system to secure it

Uncle’s skills to saw the circles, skillfully done

8cm , just nice for the Atmos speaker, Swee Swee calculation...

Can be moved to another area if needed,cables Long and 595x595 system gives me this flexibility

Rockwool stuffed inside, you can see the air gap to ceiling, this will give me some bass trap. Uncle says no use going more than 60kg density rockwool on ceiling, no diff...

Suddenly realised short of 5 panels! Alamak , luckily bro SDDS had 3 pieces to spare, Uncle will load in 2 gypsum board tomorrow... still awaiting BAD panels to arrive from China ...

Journey resumes tomorrow, dihedral mount panels on ceiling for bass trap and SMT on wall...

Offline sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 00:29 »
keep up with updating ,will be an exciting 2019 year and our very own shootout at your place . :D

Online ronildoq

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 08:57 »
keep up with updating ,will be an exciting 2019 year and our very own shootout at your place . :D

Yea power amplifier shoot out! February 2019, by then should be ready....  second round wall installation today ...

Offline keai

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 09:11 »
looking forwards to seeing this masterpiece to be done, bro Ron, you are full of poison.....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Online ronildoq

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 09:34 »
Some samples of the BAD panels in birch ply, arriving from China soon...

This will go onto the grid system flanking the Atmos overhead speakers.

Why I took this route? I’m never a fan of bipolar or dipole , omnipolar or tripolar speakers. I prefer monopoles. But in order to achieve a wide dispersion characteristic with a sense of directivity, diffusion is necessary.  This diffusion panel will sit in front of the echophon panel with a fiberglass backing to absorb bass, then rockwool with an air GAP behind to further absorp lower frequency bass, at the same time diffusing Mids and highs , exactly what I want out from the Atmos ceiling speakers

Placement layout will be diffusors-absorption-diffusors. One exception will be 2 panels place specifically at 50 degree angle from the centre speakers, this the first reflection point of my centre speakers, placing the BAD panels here will bring out the vocals from the centre channel... fingers crossed.. hehe

Online ronildoq

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 10:26 »
Sneak peak, unboxing World Class SMT Wings! Walnut was supposed to be for another Friend, he exchanged it with me, thanks ! U know who u r !

SMT Wings Diffusors

Front view

Back view