Author Topic: My HT Journey resumes. Diffusors with SMT Wings  (Read 11779 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
My HT Journey resumes. Diffusors with SMT Wings
« on: October 18, 2018, 21:24 »
I’ve been a very satisfied and happy man, enjoying my HT system, having completed my journey

1. calibrating the subs
2. Video calibration
3. Integrating the systems using Dirac

In all my approach, I always look to calibrate the system to reference, then tweak to preference. This has been my method and goal.

Then one day, I stumbled upon these diffusors , SMT Wings ! This stuff is amazing, incredible ! It’s been around for some years

I’m more of a HT guy, 80-20% music. I appreciate HT better, mainly because all the family get together , my kids and Mrs. So in some form, it’s family time. Sound Quality is very important to me, no compromise, especially on vocals. With good sounding crystal clear vocals watching documentary etc, the kids pick up, speaking fluent language as well. That’s a plus indeed .

What I’ve experienced with The SMT S Wings unit, is an enhanced depth, clarity, timbre and details to the set up in my room. This effect is something that electronics can’t produce. It is helped with radiated energy using these diffusors within the room.

So here goes again, my HT journey, to bring out the best in my hall. It’s a very challenging hall, 8x6m in length, but this time round, I’ll be working on the decay times in the upper frequencies using the help from tools to measure energy times using REW software, to identify where to best place these S Wings in my room.

I’ve got in 6x 120x60cm panels, and 2x 60x60cm panels from Europe, (yet to Arrive) with an idea of where to best place them in the room. Whether or not it will be as effective, that’s where I’m going to share my journey here.

My previous demo loan panel was just 2x 120x60cm panel and I could hear so much difference and quality it brought to the set up....

What does these wings do ? It’s a spacial and temporal diffusor.

Imagine this, when you throw a bowling ball onto a wall, it will bounce off the wall. Similar to a sound wave. Now if u have a diffusor on the wall and throw the ball again at the wall, that ball will burst into tiny pieces and scatter, if the diffusors are working as intended. That is the traits of a spatial diffuser.

Now if those exploded pieces emerges in a different time relative to one another, then we have a temporal diffusion situation, where fragments repeats itself over time, until it decays off.

The s wings does this diffusion in space and time and good diffusors work this way.

First I’ll share my individual speakers energy time curve, then I’ll share again what happens after I place these s Wings. For now, still waiting for the S wing to ship.... stay tuned... to be continued ...

Very good stuff! Once in, not coming out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

Re: My HT Journey resumes. Diffusors with SMT Wings
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 21:28 »
Some pics to share, S wings

Beautiful stuff , Very hard to clone....

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 21:34 »
Poision sia. Excellent rew tune up huge hall setup.  Amazing europe stuff there. ))

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.2.4
1996 Sunfire Cinema Grand l Flagship Onkyo RZ-3100 11.2 THX® Select2™
Klipsch KLF-30 Legend Towers KLF-C7 Tractrix® Horn
Sub 1: Rythmik FV18 @900WRMS(Nearfield)
Sub 2: SVS PB12-Plus/2 @900WRMS down-firing dual 12.3" three 4" Ports

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 22:43 »
Good stuff

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 22:53 »
Thanks for for sharing

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 23:06 »
neat products they have..!
HT Setup
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.
Computer Setup
KEF Ref 1 Powered by Harman Crown DCI amp

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:33 »
How much is it?

Is it made of paper? How easy is it to clean/keep clean?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:42 »
Poision sia. Excellent rew tune up huge hall setup.  Amazing europe stuff there. ))

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Haven’t really started, waiting for it to arrive , very slow, but worth the wait. I’ll wait patiently.

While waiting, I’ll share some details about the current room condition, what I have in my room, how I’m going to shift them, to make way for the wings.

My main application and focus will be for HT, rather than 2 channel listening.

I have the Low bass taken care by psi active bass trap, 1 unit only. but still insufficient. Need 2 units to be effective. So I’ll shift some of the panels using dihedral mounting, like this..

This method above is very effective in trapping bass energy, with a air gap at the back of the panel, especially when wavelengths down lower frequencies are much longer.

Since I’ve already identified the room modes, and which areas have bass ringing, I know exactly where to place them. So that’s done. See here

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=268900.15

1 MOAB goes this way, and 2 absorption panel, total 3 pieces on dihedral mount to trap bass energy. The 2 aural aid corner traps will remain as it is.

I have carpets on a laminated timber floor. So carpets absorbs in the upper frequencies whilst the wood transmits tactile energy, further amplified with crowsons and leather material sofa. Very happy here, nothing to improve anymore.

On first reflection points, very nice thick black out curtains , but only on the right side .... left side empty, it’s the door

So let’s see the left side of the speakers reflection point, and what is the angle of incidence

Long journey ahead... with all the mounting work etc...but having lotsa determination to push it through

Guys, just feel free to shoot anything u want and anything that can improve, most welcome to do so!

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 08:48 »
How much is it?

Is it made of paper? How easy is it to clean/keep clean?

There is cardboard version and wood version, we got in the wood version, demo stocks ....

Pricing for new is below, before shipping ...

But this is Super high quality stuff, 2 pieces in a 8x6m room can be felt almost full force... can’t compare to those QRD or clone versions from China, totally different league... it even works placed nearfield, so good.

V wing  std      1200*600*250mm                                           350euro
S wing  std       1200*600*180                                                350
Wing 95  std    1200*600*95                                                   180
Veneer  + 30 % 

diy  10mm reinforced cardboard   ,std brown                                         
V wing  1200*600*250 mm                                                    110 euro
S wing  1200*600*200 mm                                                    100

Transparent S wing 1400*650*220mm                                   700 euro
Transparent V wing 1400*650*300                                         700

AD 20 panels 2400*200*50mm                                                 170/m2

AD 40 panels 2400*200*95mm                                                 220/m2

Veneer + 30 %

Bubble module 600*600*180mm

std white   with  helmholtz bass absorbtion                             78 euro

Crystal  595*595*100mm                                                     70 euro

Varitunes bass trapps std folio 
V-4 adjustble 45-100 Hz  1200*430*430mm                           350
V-6  ""            30-65 Hz    1200*600*600mm                         380

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 09:40 »
Nice. Flat packed?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 08:07 »
Acoustic treatment is the “last mile” for any HT and your living hall is really very big certainly will benefit from some form of treatment. But Just make sure don’t over-do it. Based on my short listening experience, you need more absorption than reflection. Remember that’s your living hall we are talking about here.

By the way nice diffuser designs etc. Keep those pics coming.

Offline whitesox

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 08:13 »
And for me...
I have been searching for my ceiling? will 3D wallpaper be able to act as absorber? Do you have any information to get absorber for the ceiling?

Offline synthesis

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 08:30 »
And for me...
I have been searching for my ceiling? will 3D wallpaper be able to act as absorber? Do you have any information to get absorber for the ceiling?

I use Ecophon Focus A for my ceiling.
Can buy locally from here http://db.com.sg/

Offline whitesox

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 08:48 »

I use Ecophon Focus A for my ceiling.
Can buy locally from here http://db.com.sg/

Thanks bro for this info... what is the size/panel and price?
 :)

Offline synthesis

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 09:11 »
Thanks bro for this info... what is the size/panel and price?
 :)
Focus A is 60x60x2cm. Check with them for the current price. It's not expensive considering the number of panels. You need to buy in a box. 1 box of 28pcs is probably $300+.