Author Topic: Marantz AV8805 & Polk Audio LSIM Demo  (Read 8372 times)

Offline kennyluck2000

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Marantz AV8805 & Polk Audio LSIM Demo
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2019, 02:27 »
Last week I have a privilege to audit Winthur new setup with 2 additional 10" DIY Subs. This was my 3rd visit to his place...
I remember my 2nd visit to his place with some re-align of speaker placement plus some tweaking on 2 18" subs the bass i feel can go much deeper and with lot of rumbling... his surround sound & bass had definitely improve a lot after my first visit.

This time with just 2 additional 10" subs... he has bring his bass to another level... this time the bass not only go deep but also play cleaner and tighter plus the rumbling feel.... this kind of movie experience is where you don't get it from the cinema... 8)
For those members who had visit him once should pay him a visit again.
Thanks Winthur, i enjoy every moment of your demo session.
Cheer!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 17:36 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2019, 13:01 »
Thanks Kennyluck2000 for the kind words. Could not have done it without the comments, feedbacks, constant questioning and answers in order to reach where it is today.

not only to kennyluck2000, but also to other members who had spent precious time in visiting my humble nest for audit.

still a little bit more to go before doing another Open house again after the arrival of diffuser panels arrive :)

Thanks all once again

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2019, 01:03 »
Last week I have a privilege to audit Winthur new setup with 2 additional 10" DIY Subs. This was my 3rd visit to his place...
I remember my 2nd visit to his place with some re-align of speaker placement plus some tweaking on 2 18" subs the bass i feel can go much deeper and with lot of rumbling... his surround sound & bass had definitely improve a lot after my first visit.

This time with just 2 additional 10" subs... he has bring his bass to another level... this time the bass not only go deep but also play cleaner and tighter plus the rumbling feel.... this kind of movie experience is where you don't get it from the cinema... 8)
For those members who had visit him once should pay him a visit again.
Thanks Winthur, i enjoy every moment of your demo session.
Cheer!

yah agree with you Kenny bro.

Today happen to visit Winthur the 3rd time in a row. Got some solid stuff from him.

My Jaws drop.... The " presence " is really good.
The up front Dual 10inchers mid range drivers did perform with solid good quality bass
My thoughts as below:

1. The Twin 10 inchers sound natural and " felt " punch. :)
2.Have never heard such a dual combination DIY 10inchers
   which Mids bass up to par or even > than some 12" subs out there.
3. The back 2 18 DIY inchers will rumble with Wind. :)
4. Driven by Model NX6000d Behringer power amp ( Channel A &B ) , they look really outstanding.

Really good job Winthur. V enjoyable session thumbs up.
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.2.4
AVR: Flagship Onkyo AV Network Receiver RZ-3100 11.2
Speakers: Klipsch KG 4.5 Klipsch Tractrix® Horn Technology
Side\Rear Surrounds: Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
In-Ceiling Yamaha NS-IC800 & NS-IC400WH Front\Rear ATMOS
Subwoofers: 1. Rythmik FV18 Direct Servo 18" ported with 900WRMS amplifier
2. Ported Slam!
Ultimate Cinema!: Motorized 16:9\2:35 150" Screen
BenQ W1070+ Short Throw 3D DLP 1080p
Samsung 3D LED UA60ES8000J
Egreat A5 Media Player

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2019, 01:06 »

Outstanding Amp :)
Saw on web this power amplifier delivers 3,000 watts/channel into 4 ohms or 1,600 watts/channel into 8 ohms,
giving you plenty of headroom to work with.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:10 by rock123 »
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.2.4
AVR: Flagship Onkyo AV Network Receiver RZ-3100 11.2
Speakers: Klipsch KG 4.5 Klipsch Tractrix® Horn Technology
Side\Rear Surrounds: Definitive Technology ProCinema 600
In-Ceiling Yamaha NS-IC800 & NS-IC400WH Front\Rear ATMOS
Subwoofers: 1. Rythmik FV18 Direct Servo 18" ported with 900WRMS amplifier
2. Ported Slam!
Ultimate Cinema!: Motorized 16:9\2:35 150" Screen
BenQ W1070+ Short Throw 3D DLP 1080p
Samsung 3D LED UA60ES8000J
Egreat A5 Media Player

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2019, 09:50 »
Thank you bro Rock123.
Am more than welcome for the visit again anytime. Am glad that your advises, together with many others are heeded previous round.

Am glad that you enjoy the session as much as bro kennyluck2000 :D :D :D :D

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2019, 11:36 »
Ok... i finally had time to do calibration last night using the Marantz MM8077 power amplifier. I bought this power amp due to the following reason:

1. Testing, since i've seen quite a lot of review that this power amp is match make with marantz AVP and since i am using one, i would like to give it a try

2. Sound signature, to prove that is it indeed "heavenly match"

3. Additional channel, the more the merrier even though not using, who know i may need in future? :P

The specs can be found here https://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avseparates&ProductId=MM8077

The channels are pretty pack to one another to be honest. As compared to the previous emotiva XPA 6 Gen 3 which i am using which are pretty spaced out. The Marantz has a left right switch vs a flip switch on the emotiva for balance and unbalance input.

The binding post seems a bit flimsy but it does the work if you using the banana plugs which i believe most of us do.

It has a little cooling fan on the right which i am not sure if it is even activated, since i am using the AC infinity T10, the temperature does not go as high as emotiva is what i notice despite playing at high volume.

The sound (Audyssey with dynamic vol and dynamic EQ off, marantz power amp for all floor speakers and emotiva for all heights speakers):
In my personal opinion, the sound is not as harsh when playing loud. using SPL meter playing at 80 to 85db ish, the volume from my marantz 8805 is around -14 to -13...which is already pretty loud.

For Movies, what amaze me is despite playing loud, the clarity, dynamics of high and low and the surrounds sounded liquid smooth and clear. Tested incredible hulk and john wicked 2, the sound is so clear and smooth, it is precise and i trust that at certain scene, some details i do noticed with the marantz but not the emotiva...or maybe it's just me for not noticing.... example, you can actually hear something when reeves is walking in the tunnel before meeting the lady whom showed the middle finger before the gun fight starts.

For music, all i can say is it's undeniably excellent! I can say they (MM8077 and 8805) is made for each other! May be there are better power amp out there which i've not heard or tested in my environment before but i can say that for now using 8077, when playing vocals and musical, maaaaan it just sound so pleasing and good! it's buttery smooth, no fatigue at all, listening at -23db is just right for my room. some tracks which i've played became even more lively, music sounded coming from surround sides and overhead but its actually stereo. For the first time ever i swear my Mrs actually commented about my gears saying "how come this track sounded so nice now?" We sat on the couch and listened for about 3 hours until she fell asleep.

I am not sure if emotiva sounded distorted to me when playing high volume but after a movie with emotiva at -15db and music at -22db, it does gives a little fatigue at the end. Do note that my dynamic EQ and vol is off.

During the audessey calibration pulse sound (pew pew pew), i do noticed that the pulse marantz gaves is like "smooth, taking its time, no hurry, soft," kind of feeling. The emotiva is like "com'on let me give all of it, i have lots to give, chiong arrrrr" kind of feeling LOL. But overall after the audyssey, all volume definitely balance out, which eases my worries for a bit. My guess is since emotiva is a USA machine, it should be more daring in producing anything.

Its not that emotiva is not good, emotiva is definitely showing that "look, give it to me and i can do more" kind of feel. i guess my preference just changed from hearing all action and loud, to hearing the details but at the same time loud. i enjoy more details now despite at low or loud volume. :) The watts does plays a part i agree but after calculating the distance, the 1w/1m and sencitivity of my speakers, it may not require so much of a power per channel at the end of the day. Depending at what is being output at the time of moment also.

I'm doing little change, tweaks here and there... as soon as i am done, i hope to invite forum members to my place for some refreshments and enjoy the movie + music at the same time. 

Offline arsene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2019, 14:07 »
How much is the MM8807?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2019, 16:02 »
Nice write-up :)

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2019, 23:10 »
How much is the MM8807?

Hi arsene bro, will PM you on the price

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2019, 23:23 »
Nice write-up :)

Thank you. Best effort :) At least the review does benefit those who are of interest.

Offline BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 23:50 »

We sat on the couch and listened for about 3 hours until she fell asleep...

I'm more interested in the part after your wife fall asleep.
What did you do ?
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 13:35 »
I'm more interested in the part after your wife fall asleep.
What did you do ?

wahahaha...well i just kept browsing on the phone until i get so tired and switch off my gears. i woke her up and says "sorry but im unable to carry you to bed cos too much of weight.." that makes her awake immediately  :P

Offline BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2019, 15:47 »
wahahaha...well i just kept browsing on the phone until i get so tired and switch off my gears. i woke her up and says "sorry but im unable to carry you to bed cos too much of weight.." that makes her awake immediately  :P

Disappointed but at least now I know that you are a good husband ;D
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.