Author Topic: 7.1.4 ATMOS setup : Can Ceiling Surround speaker as effective as bookshelf?  (Read 1262 times)

Online BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Int 0x19
Thank you guys !! I am now happy with the 7.1.4 atmos using 2 book-shelf (agree with CASH) and 2 in-ceiling (no choice), and 4 atmos. Decided to use all Flax Cone from Focal Aria, to be consistence and not to merge audio character. The rear surround (in-ceiling) speakers are working very well, tried atmos movie (thanks to DJQ for the atmos DVD).. rear surround is working well when increase their dB level from Denon.. working well.
Thanks to all that help provide suggestions and info, appreciate them. Here is a good look of my setup... my next will likely looking at stereo amp to bring out Focal 948 front 2.
Ok cheers and keep in touch..

So how your 2 back surround on ceiling sound like ? You feel as if coming from back of your head or over the head.
Trying very hard to reproduce the sound that mixing engineers heard in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline JeffersDJ

So how your 2 back surround on ceiling sound like ? You feel as if coming from back of your head or over the head.
after this setup I have only few chances to play movies ... tried on 2 occasions: 1) i felt rear surround have less impact. Side surround is very good (obviously they are beside sofa). 2) there is adjustment on the dB gain of all speakers, I select about 4dB on surround back and the rest level to 1-2 dB, and rear surround became very clear. its like behind the head. I tried watching transformer. Very good and i like it considering I really have no way to have rear speakers (audio wiring and power cable access problem). It actually works.

Online BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
after this setup I have only few chances to play movies ... tried on 2 occasions: 1) i felt rear surround have less impact. Side surround is very good (obviously they are beside sofa). 2) there is adjustment on the dB gain of all speakers, I select about 4dB on surround back and the rest level to 1-2 dB, and rear surround became very clear. its like behind the head. I tried watching transformer. Very good and i like it considering I really have no way to have rear speakers (audio wiring and power cable access problem). It actually works.

Why not 5.1.6 ?
Trying very hard to reproduce the sound that mixing engineers heard in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
Thank you guys !! I am now happy with the 7.1.4 atmos using 2 book-shelf (agree with CASH) and 2 in-ceiling (no choice), and 4 atmos. Decided to use all Flax Cone from Focal Aria, to be consistence and not to merge audio character. The rear surround (in-ceiling) speakers are working very well, tried atmos movie (thanks to DJQ for the atmos DVD).. rear surround is working well when increase their dB level from Denon.. working well.
Thanks to all that help provide suggestions and info, appreciate them. Here is a good look of my setup...

wow very beautiful place and setup bro. :)

Just a humble suggestion to consider. Because placing your back surrounds in the ceiling will likely confuse the intended sounds coming from overhead/ATMOS speakers and surround speakers, and as a result bring down the overall HT experience compared to having just 5.1.4.

U might want to try:
1) disconnecting the back surrounds in the ceiling, and do with 5.1.4, and moving your current side surrounds slightly back a little so that it acts like side and rear surrounds.
2) try (1) above but convert the back surrounds to another pair of ATMOS speakers, making your system 5.1.6
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 23:12 by sevenz »

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
Thanks to all that help provide suggestions and info, appreciate them. Here is a good look of my setup... my next will likely looking at stereo amp to bring out Focal 948 front 2.
Ok cheers and keep in touch..

Hi. May I know what screen you using?

Offline JeffersDJ

wow very beautiful place and setup bro. :)

Just a humble suggestion to consider. Because placing your back surrounds in the ceiling will likely confuse the intended sounds coming from overhead/ATMOS speakers and surround speakers, and as a result bring down the overall HT experience compared to having just 5.1.4.

U might want to try:
1) disconnecting the back surrounds in the ceiling, and do with 5.1.4, and moving your current side surrounds slightly back a little so that it acts like side and rear surrounds.
2) try (1) above but convert the back surrounds to another pair of ATMOS speakers, making your system 5.1.6
It's a good idea. I will try and let you know. Speakers not run it yet. Thanks for the suggestion

Offline JeffersDJ

Hi. May I know what screen you using?
The screen bought from Ali-express China made. Fixed it myself.  ;D

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
The screen bought from Ali-express China made. Fixed it myself.  ;D

Cheers bro.

Thought of getting one with tab as well with black diamond.