Author Topic: Which brand of AVR and 5.1 speakers are better?  (Read 5758 times)

BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which brand of AVR and 5.1 speakers are better?
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2018, 12:24 »
In this setup, the video and audio are separately driven. i.e. video via projector/tv, audio via AVR... question is : Will video and audio in Sync ? Anyone have good experience?
The short answer is yes.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2018, 12:40 »
In this setup, the video and audio are separately driven. i.e. video via projector/tv, audio via AVR... question is : Will video and audio in Sync ? Anyone have good experience?

Let me provide you with the longer answer then...

If your bluray or media player comes with dual HDMI outputs - one for the audio and one for the video...for those with older AVR not capable of passing a 4K signal successfully due to hardware incompatibility like HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a...and yet you want t enjoy 4K image on your new 4K HDR TV, then connecting the HDMI Output (Main) or HDMI 1 will pipe the video signal direct to the display - 4K TV monitor/Projector while you use the audio for sound reproduction to the AVR. The issue here is there may be some video/audio sync issue due to the different clock speed. Hence it is ALWAYS good to pipe every video/audio signal in one HDMI cable.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2018, 12:48 »
@WuffRuff: I have noticed you create new posts very frequently...this is NOT encouraged and counter-intuitive especially the questions have many common grounds. I have moved a few of your threads that has no relation to Home Theater planet to a different one. And please stick to one main topic - for instance, if your question(s) have anything to do with AVR, regardless whether it is for speakers, hard drive connectivity, playback of 4K content, AVR settings, Dolby Atmos, DTS X, Object-based audio and the list goes on...the KEYWORD here is AVR being the CPU at its very core...I don't see why there is a need for you to create separate topics which points to one single hardware - i.e. AVR.

I hope you take it as a constructive advice rather than negative...I'm glad to see noobies posting questions and ask the members here for advice but at the same time, pls also do it in the most "sensible" manner as possible. Be clear and concise in your line of questions to avoid "irrelevant" answers as you are wasting not just the members who have had helped in answering your concerns but your own time as well as you need to rephrase your questions.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:50 by desray »

Offline WuffRuff

• Snr Member
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2018, 07:05 »
First and foremost, you are not clear with the terms u used. What is NAS drive with media player? The answer is a media player connect directly to your TV. You confused people with a NAS with media player function. Tell me I'm wrong in my interpretation.

If you are talking about connecting the media player to an AVR and then output it to your TV, then of course I see no problem. In fact that should be the preferred method.

Next you asked about connecting the media player or the NAS drive or whatever u are relating and connect it to the projector via HDMI?! What exactly are you trying to say or achieve here? If members here give you confusing answers, it is due to your line of questions that make no sense at all in the first place. Anyway short answer for your second part is "No" unless you are talking about UST projectors like Xiaomi or WeMax with media, amp and speaker all rolled into one. But I don't think you are referring to that.

OMG!!! Now that I saw your title which asks, "can I connect a hard drive to an AVR?" So what exactly are you trying to do here? Connecting a hard drive to a AVR is purely for payback of audio media files mostly since a AVR does not have a dedicated segment to output video by means of deciding, transcoding and send out the image to the TV or projector, u need a intermediary decide like media player to do that for you and pass the video and audio signal via the HDMI and let AVR do the routing for you.

My advice to you, before you post any questions, think it through first before posting. Don't expect anyone to provide you with a correct response when your question are in its own "full of questions to your own question" in the first place.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

OK, sorry for the confusion.
The reason why my question may not be clear is because I am also not very clear about this NAS drive that I'm asking about too.
When I said "NAS drive with media player", I mean it is the NAS drive with media player function.
And if this sounds confusing, then well that's what the manufacturer says (as far as I remember).
It does not say much else about this function except that I can connect it via HDMI to the TV and play movies stored in this NAS hard drive, which I had also mentioned.
So this is all the information I have about this drive and I have given all the information I have, as much as it is inadequate.
And ironically, despite saying that I confused people and not to expect a "correct response to my question", I actually got the answer or understanding I was looking for from your technical explanation as you explained how it works.
So you actually disproved yourself in the same post but anyway thanks for taking the time to explain.
I do try to be clear but sometimes, I am confused myself so how can I be clear?
In any case, the explanation about how things work like yours usually helps.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2018, 08:46 »
OK, sorry for the confusion.
The reason why my question may not be clear is because I am also not very clear about this NAS drive that I'm asking about too.
When I said "NAS drive with media player", I mean it is the NAS drive with media player function.
And if this sounds confusing, then well that's what the manufacturer says (as far as I remember).
It does not say much else about this function except that I can connect it via HDMI to the TV and play movies stored in this NAS hard drive, which I had also mentioned.
So this is all the information I have about this drive and I have given all the information I have, as much as it is inadequate.
And ironically, despite saying that I confused people and not to expect a "correct response to my question", I actually got the answer or understanding I was looking for from your technical explanation as you explained how it works.
So you actually disproved yourself in the same post but anyway thanks for taking the time to explain.
I do try to be clear but sometimes, I am confused myself so how can I be clear?
In any case, the explanation about how things work like yours usually helps.
Thanks for understanding and taking criticisms in a positive light.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2018, 17:43 »
I always find that it is hard to find an all in one device that does everything you want perfectly.

Sometimes it is best to get products specialized.

There are from memory two types of NAS type media players.

Some are media players running a Linux or Android OS that can support shared drives so if you plug in a SATA or USB drive, it will share the drive on the network for you to copy files onto them.

Great. So they play a lot of media file formats (what a media player should do well) but one drive doesn’t a NAS make.

A NAS should have good reliability with redundant drives and ability to rebuild arrays if one drive fails etc. remote access and high availability designed for 24/7 use.

So then you have type 2 - a high powered NAS like QNAP or Synology with a powerful intel or AMD processor and graphics that can play media files. Because they are basically regular PCs they have HDMI outputs that can play media files out of. Great. But i don’t know what the file format support is on those NAS. I remember they tend to have less format support. Again not a big surprise since they are primarily a NAS builder and that’s what the OS should be geared towards - security and availability and file server performance.

Plus why would you want a noisy NAS next to your home theatre? They usually have fans and drives are noisy too.

End of Line - Derezzed