Author Topic: Which brand of AVR and 5.1 speakers are better?  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which brand of AVR and 5.1 speakers are better?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 08:31 »
Cheers Doggie, looking at TS budget of $1.5k.

choices are limited.

The speakers alone is a good price without even considering the old marantz

I am aware of the limitations but it is IMHO better to go into this hobby with the right expectations.

Second hand speakers shouldn't be an issue - and even some of my 20+ years speakers from university days are still rocking. But AVRs are a different issue.

I know you can run dual HDMI into a TV and AVR to circumvent this, but I have always encountered issues with lip sync/delays doing that - and checking most AV/HT forums will show you it is a common problem.

My point is this - if the TS wants a tok-kong UHD system, be prepared to get a reasonably matched audio system as well.

If I was going to cheap out and get an old AVR, I would look at some really vintage AVRs (those old school made in Japan Yamaha or Denon AVRs) with multichannel analog inputs. I have encouraged many guys here to retain those amps and use them as power amps when they upgrade their AVR to the latest generations. Those old AVRs had good gutsy power amp components and they outperform a lot of modern AVRs. The only caveat I have is that the new AVRs need to have multichannel preamp outputs too.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2018, 08:55 »
This is why my initial reply is... "sibeh tight" liaoz...

Offline rayleh

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2018, 11:26 »
I agreed to get an AVR which supports all the new protocols and formats. 

Offline WuffRuff

• Snr Member
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2018, 22:08 »
I am aware of the limitations but it is IMHO better to go into this hobby with the right expectations.

Second hand speakers shouldn't be an issue - and even some of my 20+ years speakers from university days are still rocking. But AVRs are a different issue.

I know you can run dual HDMI into a TV and AVR to circumvent this, but I have always encountered issues with lip sync/delays doing that - and checking most AV/HT forums will show you it is a common problem.

My point is this - if the TS wants a tok-kong UHD system, be prepared to get a reasonably matched audio system as well.

If I was going to cheap out and get an old AVR, I would look at some really vintage AVRs (those old school made in Japan Yamaha or Denon AVRs) with multichannel analog inputs. I have encouraged many guys here to retain those amps and use them as power amps when they upgrade their AVR to the latest generations. Those old AVRs had good gutsy power amp components and they outperform a lot of modern AVRs. The only caveat I have is that the new AVRs need to have multichannel preamp outputs too.

OK, so means old AVRs may not be compatible with new HDMI 2.0, is that right?
So better for me to get new AVR.
And I can get old speakers that are selling at good value.
What should I look out for if getting AVR from Carousell to ensure they will work with current formats and the current HDMI 2.0 cables?

By the way, I'm not looking to set up a tok kong HT for now.
I understand the constrains for my budget, so I am just looking for something decent for now.
I do have floor speakers too that I am currently using for music in my room and I plan to upgrade that later on.
So when I get new hifi speakers, then my current one can be used to upgrade the HT speakers too.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2018, 09:56 »
I find it wasteful to have separate systems for HT and music. Get the best speakers you can for music and it can work for HT too
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2018, 10:50 »
I find it wasteful to have separate systems for HT and music. Get the best speakers you can for music and it can work for HT too
+1  but not all have that luxury to do that. let alone the space for another room. too many factors and depending on the expectations. i find myself spending more money having to integrate Music into HT and vice versa. the rule is if you have a spare room for music, do it. Stereo listening is very different. simple and clean is the rule. observe basic isolation proper placement, you very much have a very high end setup.
ProJect Q.

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2018, 11:22 »
For very good price /performance HT  speakers, recommend these definitive Technology.

Mains
Speakers for S$300 https://sg.carousell.com/p/190156297

Center
Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 Centre Speaker  for S$199 https://sg.carousell.com/p/192406073

Surrounds
Definitive Technology - Mythos Gem Speakers for S$288 https://sg.carousell.com/p/192431377

Cheers!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 11:27 »

+1 ....
I would suggest spending your budget MORE on good speakers (especially for L-C-R if you are HT lover) ... you can upgrade your AVR but still continue to use your speakers.
Spend more... get better setup... more siok more fun and be proud of it... consider getting dual (10" or 12") subs and external amp if you have the budget.
Make friends then you will get poison then spend more .. be prepared... ;D ;D ;D

Which brand of AVR? different person different taste so you need to listen then decide.
 :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 13:09 by whitesox »

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 11:36 »
MYTHs MYTHS MYTHS
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rj6h4qYxkCc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rj6h4qYxkCc&fs=1</a>
MYSTERY MYSTERY MYSTERY
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJf-czaTVws&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WJf-czaTVws&fs=1</a>

Offline WuffRuff

• Snr Member
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 13:25 »

Well, it's because they are in separate rooms.
I like to listen to music in my bedroom because I like to lie down and listen to music.
Also, I can do a proper room treatment on all 4 walls and ceiling of that room.
I watch TV/Movies/YouTube in my living room because I like to watch TV/Movies/YouTube while eating and snack while watching TV/Movies/YouTube and also, there is space there for the huge 120" screen that I've bought.  ;D
My top priority is my listening room.
I'm not that particular about movie sound quality so something basic would suffice for the HT, therefore that budget.

Offline whitesox

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 14:28 »
Well, it's because they are in separate rooms.
I like to listen to music in my bedroom because I like to lie down and listen to music.
Also, I can do a proper room treatment on all 4 walls and ceiling of that room.
I watch TV/Movies/YouTube in my living room because I like to watch TV/Movies/YouTube while eating and snack while watching TV/Movies/YouTube and also, there is space there for the huge 120" screen that I've bought.  ;D
My top priority is my listening room.
I'm not that particular about movie sound quality so something basic would suffice for the HT, therefore that budget.

Since you are not so particular then just pick one
From carousell within ur budget.
 :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 19:10 by whitesox »

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 14:31 »
Pretty amazing mains for the $$$, check out the stereophile review..

Monitor Audio RS6 Speakers for S$500 https://sg.carousell.com/p/189345683

https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/index.html

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2018, 07:54 »
I have a NAS drive with media player function.
It can connect via HDMI to a TV and play the movies in it.
In this case, will it work with an AVR?
What about if I connect the drive to the projector via HDMI?

First and foremost, you are not clear with the terms u used. What is NAS drive with media player? The answer is a media player connect directly to your TV. You confused people with a NAS with media player function. Tell me I'm wrong in my interpretation.

If you are talking about connecting the media player to an AVR and then output it to your TV, then of course I see no problem. In fact that should be the preferred method.

Next you asked about connecting the media player or the NAS drive or whatever u are relating and connect it to the projector via HDMI?! What exactly are you trying to say or achieve here? If members here give you confusing answers, it is due to your line of questions that make no sense at all in the first place. Anyway short answer for your second part is "No" unless you are talking about UST projectors like Xiaomi or WeMax with media, amp and speaker all rolled into one. But I don't think you are referring to that.

OMG!!! Now that I saw your title which asks, "can I connect a hard drive to an AVR?" So what exactly are you trying to do here? Connecting a hard drive to a AVR is purely for payback of audio media files mostly since a AVR does not have a dedicated segment to output video by means of deciding, transcoding and send out the image to the TV or projector, u need a intermediary decide like media player to do that for you and pass the video and audio signal via the HDMI and let AVR do the routing for you.

My advice to you, before you post any questions, think it through first before posting. Don't expect anyone to provide you with a correct response when your question are in its own "full of questions to your own question" in the first place.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:04 by desray »

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 11:38 »
Wah another Mr.7, every question start a new thread.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline JeffersDJ

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2018, 11:52 »
Short answer : yes
In this setup, the video and audio are separately driven. i.e. video via projector/tv, audio via AVR... question is : Will video and audio in Sync ? Anyone have good experience?