Author Topic: Samsung TV - Soundbar no sound thru ARC  (Read 2665 times)

Offline sje4182

• Trade Count: (+2)
Samsung TV - Soundbar no sound thru ARC
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:27 »
Hi

I have a Samsung TV and JBL Soundbar and followed the instructions on the connection but there is no sound from the soundbar.

HDMI cable as supplied by soundbar connected to HDMI ARC on both TV and Soundbar
TV output tried both bitstream and PCM but no difference
Anynet HDMI-CEC is on

The TV shows it is trying to connect to the "receiver" (i.e. soundbar) but in the end got error message to "turn on the device". Duh.

I tried several ways of connecting such as connect the HDMI cable before turning on the TV and soundbar as well as after. This is cos Samsung manual says on both devices first before connecting the 2. JBL manual not specific.

What else could i be missing? I even swapped the HDMI cables to my higher end types also cannot.

Anyone can help?

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
Re: Samsung TV - Soundbar no sound thru ARC
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:35 »
Do you have any other HDMI connections to your soundbar ?
If yes, try disconnecting all the devices first.
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 13:25 »
Just unplugging the devices from mains power for a few minutes often solve the problem. And try not to plug/unplug HDMI cables while device is powered on. Any firmware updates for your devices?

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 13:38 »
Does your hdmi cable comes with ethernet support, if not, try getting one that does.

Offline sje4182

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 13:56 »
Do you have any other HDMI connections to your soundbar ?
If yes, try disconnecting all the devices first.

No, all my connections are to the TV's "one connect box". Then the HDMI 2 (ARC) is connected to soundbar HDMI (ARC).

Offline sje4182

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 13:57 »
Just unplugging the devices from mains power for a few minutes often solve the problem. And try not to plug/unplug HDMI cables while device is powered on. Any firmware updates for your devices?

Sigh, my mains power switches are in a very inconvenient, hard-to-reach place behind my TV console. Hope i don't have to resort to this :(

Offline sje4182

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 13:58 »
Does your hdmi cable comes with ethernet support, if not, try getting one that does.

Not sure, but the bundled HDMI cable should be good enough to support ARC since the manual recommends ARC as the best input. As mentioned i also used my expensive "branded" HDMI cable also cannot.

Offline sje4182

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 14:06 »
By the way, am i "losing" anything if i use BT to connect from the TV to the soundbar? BT is actually neater cos i can reduce one run of cable.

On another note throughout the documentation (and even it's website) they always say "stream music through Bluetooth". Why do they specify music? What about movies? Is it because BT only transmits stereo signals hence they don't recommend watching movies through bluetooth? Or is it cos usually movie sources like blue ray players don't have Bluetooth in the first place so they assume that BT is for streaming music from mobile devices?

From a short listening test (movie, not music) between Bluetooth and optical in (since ARC not working), seems like the only difference i can perceive is that optical  is a tad louder than BT (can be compensated by just turning up the volume a notch or two). Does a proper digital input like optical and ARC give better SQ like maybe better bass perhaps (because there is a dedicated signal for bass)?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 14:22 by sje4182 »

Offline francis wu

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 10:31 »
HDMI is the best solution! Btw, did you switch internal speaker to external in your TV set?

Sexy8

Offline sje4182

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 21:51 »
HDMI is the best solution! Btw, did you switch internal speaker to external in your TV set?

Sexy8

Yes. It was set to HDMI (receiver).

Offline francis wu

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 23:15 »
Try playing around with the equipment switching.  Optical can’t give you Atmos and Dts X or HD Ma.

Offline sje4182

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 18:31 »
Try playing around with the equipment switching.  Optical can’t give you Atmos and Dts X or HD Ma.

My soundbar only supports dolby digital :/

But even if it could, being a 3.1 system, it wouldn't make any difference since it doesn't have atmos speakers...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 18:33 by sje4182 »

Offline francis wu

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 18:33 »
In that case, use Optical and save the hassle of trouble shooting the ARC problem. :)

Offline sje4182

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 10:50 »
In that case, use Optical and save the hassle of trouble shooting the ARC problem. :)

Yes or even go all the way and use BT and have 1 less cable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal