Author Topic: Marvel Studios : Captain Marvel  (Read 1876 times)

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Marvel Studios : Captain Marvel
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 13:55 »
The big question is - if that old man is a priest, why he brought his disciples see this "anti-god" movie?

;D Trying to stir-up a local Pedo/Priest scandal JTL? 
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Marvel Studios : Captain Marvel
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 17:48 »
This movie is so draggy and I literally dozed off for a few minutes. This is my least favourite Marvel movies of all. Too much talk and extended character buildup so much so that it becomes repetitive and tiresome after some time.

I think ShaZam will be more entertaining than this Marvel’s Captain Marvel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 17:52 by desray »

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 18:33 »
I find this movie too darkly lit. In most of the fighting scenes, I don’t know who is hitting who. Also the premise of how she got so powerful is unbelievable.
Spoiler: show
She had only absorbed the energy from an exploding engine core built by the Kree. It’s not as if she swallowed the Tesseract or something.
::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:41 by pschia »
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Marvel Studios : Captain Marvel
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 20:11 »
I think this is Marvel's worst movie of all time if you asked me... I rally don't understand why Marvel have to shoehorn Capt Marvel so late into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just because Marvel wanted to introduce Capt Marvel into Endgame so that Phase 2 of the MCU can start?! Totally unnecessary if you ask me since Capt Marvel isn't a member of The Avengers initiative.

I'll put this movie as in the same category as Thor The Dark World. And I also personally don't think that casting Brie Larson as Capt Marvel is a "correct" choice... She lacked the heroine charm that makes us believe that she is someone that we can root for... I don't feel that connection at all to say the least...

My rating for this Marvel flick is at all time low at 6/10. Total trash if not for Sam L Jackson portrayal of the younger Nick Fury and of course Agent Coulson.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:10 by desray »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 09:33 »
It wasn’t Marvel’s best effort but I didn’t think it was that bad. This serves as much an origin story for Nick Fury as it does for Cap Marvel. And i enjoyed it in that vein

Wife said she was considering sleeping through it. We were watching the 930pm show and we normally go to bed at 10pm these days because of our morning walks with the dogs.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 11:20 »
It wasn’t Marvel’s best effort but I didn’t think it was that bad. This serves as much an origin story for Nick Fury as it does for Cap Marvel. And i enjoyed it in “that vein”

Wife said she was considering sleeping through it. We were watching the 930pm show and we normally go to bed at 10pm these days because of our morning walks with the dogs.

That’s what I thought so.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 17:13 »
With 20 movies already in the MCU, one can’t see a new one without comparing with the great ones like Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. In that context, Captain Marvel is a very meh experience.

After the awesome Black empowerment thematic arc in Black Panther and the game-changing Avengers: Infinity War, you would think they try to up the game with a female empowerment theme here, but no... their method is as lame as they come - Woman power means woman can do what man can do ten times better. Half the time she is under an amnesiac haze which doesn’t give the story propulsion. Action sequences are nothing memorable.

The only cool thing was the 90s nostalgia milking the laughs and the de-ageing of Nick Fury. Danvers and Fury’s banter was funny and unforced.

For me, the worst thing was this and it’s personal peeve thing, I can’t stand a superhero becoming so fricking SUPER POWERFUL until NOTHING can defeat her. I tuned out immediately. What’s the point of watching a final battle when there are no stakes. Sh1t! Even Superman needs Kryptonite.

It’s entertaining but ultimately forgettable. Marvel Studios missed an opportunity to do a better Wonder Woman here.

3.5 / 5

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 17:15 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 20:36 »
With 20 movies already in the MCU, one can’t see a new one without comparing with the great ones like Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. In that context, Captain Marvel is a very meh experience.

After the awesome Black empowerment thematic arc in Black Panther and the game-changing Avengers: Infinity War, you would think they try to up the game with a female empowerment theme here, but no... their method is as lame as they come - Woman power means woman can do what man can do ten times better. Half the time she is under an amnesiac haze which doesn’t give the story propulsion. Action sequences are nothing memorable.

The only cool thing was the 90s nostalgia milking the laughs and the de-ageing of Nick Fury. Danvers and Fury’s banter was funny and unforced.

For me, the worst thing was this and it’s personal peeve thing, I can’t stand a superhero becoming so fricking SUPER POWERFUL until NOTHING can defeat her. I tuned out immediately. What’s the point of watching a final battle when there are no stakes. Sh1t! Even Superman needs Kryptonite.

It’s entertaining but ultimately forgettable. Marvel Studios missed an opportunity to do a better Wonder Woman here.

3.5 / 5

+1...it is a forgettable flick. But I have a feeling that Capt Marvel will "do better" in End Games next month. She will probably be more "matured" in her thinking and and likelihood to display some "humility" after almost 15 years of timeline!

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 17:18 »
... I rally don't understand why Marvel have to shoehorn Capt Marvel so late into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Just because Marvel wanted to introduce Capt Marvel into Endgame so that Phase 2 of the MCU can start?! Totally unnecessary if you ask me since Capt Marvel isn't a member of The Avengers initiative.

Not quite sure what you mean exactly, but in the comic books, she absolutely is part of the Avengers. And even led the “The Mighty Avengers” (Iron Man’s side in the 2006-2007 Civil War saga) briefly in 2007.

But I do agree with you that she isn't the most natural fit for the role... a little too "smug" in her portrayal for my liking (... maybe that comes from virtual omnipotence? :P)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 17:39 »
Not quite sure what you mean exactly, but in the comic books, she absolutely is part of the Avengers. And even led the “The Mighty Avengers” (Iron Man’s side in the 2006-2007 Civil War saga) briefly in 2007.

But I do agree with you that she isn't the most natural fit for the role... a little too "smug" in her portrayal for my liking (... maybe that comes from virtual omnipotence? :P)

Let me correct myself. I’m actually referring to the way Marvel introduce Capt Marvel so late into the franchise which I don’t see the need. I wondered what will Carol Danvers role be in Endgames.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 18:59 »
Let me correct myself. I’m actually referring to the way Marvel introduce Capt Marvel so late into the franchise which I don’t see the need. I wondered what will Carol Danvers role be in Endgames.

Probably has to do with our current Metoo era, and wanting a female superhero lead to parry DC's WW lead ;D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 19:23 »
Probably has to do with our current Metoo era, and wanting a female superhero lead to parry DC's WW lead ;D

Well DCEU isn’t doing any good to begin with. I don’t think MCU trying to top anything here. In my humble opinion, MCU is trying to usher in the next phase of MCU superheroes after Eng game. And Captain Marvel is their first choice probably to lead the next phase of Avengers.