Author Topic: Panasonic UB820 UHD player  (Read 26847 times)

Offline wcseow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Panasonic UB820 UHD player
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2020, 22:26 »
Yeah, I know this makes sense but my TV console has limited space. Ideally, I'm looking for a 4K player to replace of my current Oppo BD103D and move that to the bedroom. I missed the boat for the BD203 because I only got my 4K TV recently. The UB820 appears to be the best option that meets my budget but the lack of Region A BD playback capability from UK is a downer.

Lol...get the Sony X700 first. In my opinion, a great player too and support SACDs. PQ is good. I had it for a while. Its a pretty good buy.

Offline alvin01

« Reply #286 on: March 26, 2020, 00:10 »
Sony x800 if stacked up together with Panny bdt380, total height will be just few 50cts coins higher than Oppo's 20#.

I hadn't thought of that. But the thing is I use the Oppo 103 as a CD player as well and I think both these players don't have analogue out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 00:13 by alvin01 »

Offline alvin01

« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2020, 00:12 »
Lol...get the Sony X700 first. In my opinion, a great player too and support SACDs. PQ is good. I had it for a while. Its a pretty good buy.

I did consider the Sony X700/800 but I'm swayed by the UB820's analogue out for CD playback.

Offline alvin01

« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2020, 00:26 »
Face the music of reality bloke ... Streaming is the IN THING today. Only old hairy butts 😂 prefers physical medias.

Streaming might be in thing now but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I've given up trying to explain to young people why physical media wins hands down. I'm dismayed that they are satisfied with a mono bluetooth speaker and have no interest to even experience hifi in stereo. But that's a rant for another thread I guess.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2020, 01:49 »
Streaming might be in thing now but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I've given up trying to explain to young people why physical media wins hands down... ...
Good to find one another old Harry/Hairy Butt like u who believes on physical MEDIA!!!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2020, 06:36 »
Agreed that physical media still provides the best in video and audio quality. Streaming is a compromise in both areas (PQ and SQ). But major Hollywood studios are betting big in streaming business. Just last year, Apple and Disney invested heavily into their streaming ecosystem. With the covid-19 pandemic going on, we are seeing some newly movies like bloodshot, trolls 2 (never made a theatrical release iirc), the way back to name a few going straight to streaming in less than a month after it’s theatrical release. The only draw that may attract more members to sign up streaming likely to be early viewing access to new Hollywood blockbuster. But studios will likely resist releasing big budget movies to streaming platform without first making huge returns from selling movie tickets first.

These are strange times that we live in. Starting today, all cinema chains to be closed for one month (till end of April).

For movie fans and home theatre enthusiasts like us, best in PQ and SQ is a must have to enjoy our movie the way it is meant to be. But I couldn’t help but having a feeling that the future is bleak for physical media when studios decide to go full steam ahead with streaming.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2020, 07:14 »
I have the Oppo 205, 203, Panasonic UB900 and UB820.

But ever since I signed up for DisneyPlus haven’t bought any new UHD discs. Seems like they got me covered for most of the content I want.

That said I recently was playing around with the hdfury Vertex 2 so managed to rummage through my discs for comparisons - have to say my UHD discs still look noticeably better - just better depth and slightly less banding especially the darker scenes. But overall unless you keep doing quick AB comparisons, you’d be hard pressed to be absolutely sure.

There’s just the convenience of it all. I have all the Avengers, all of Captain America and all of Iron Man on UHD but I was still too lazy to get the discs - just selected them from the DisneyPlus menu. And switch just as easily to Frozen 2 or Star Wars without getting off my ass. I imagine when they get more Fox content out there, there’s be even less incentive to get physical discs.

Ps any word on when media players can start playing Dolby Vision or HDR10+ titles and output then correctly?

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34 »
I have the Oppo 205, 203, Panasonic UB900 and UB820.

But ever since I signed up for DisneyPlus haven’t bought any new UHD discs. Seems like they got me covered for most of the content I want.

That said I recently was playing around with the hdfury Vertex 2 so managed to rummage through my discs for comparisons - have to say my UHD discs still look noticeably better - just better depth and slightly less banding especially the darker scenes. But overall unless you keep doing quick AB comparisons, you’d be hard pressed to be absolutely sure.

There’s just the convenience of it all. I have all the Avengers, all of Captain America and all of Iron Man on UHD but I was still too lazy to get the discs - just selected them from the DisneyPlus menu. And switch just as easily to Frozen 2 or Star Wars without getting off my ass. I imagine when they get more Fox content out there, there’s be even less incentive to get physical discs.

Ps any word on when media players can start playing Dolby Vision or HDR10+ titles and output then correctly?

Nope...but the closest will be this Oppo clone made in China.

I am considering whether to get it or not...the latest iteration is ver 3.0 now. Dropped an email to the seller at this site and see whether they do shipping to Singapore and the cost. https://www.yoycart.com/

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:36 by desray »

Offline wcseow

« Reply #293 on: March 26, 2020, 08:42 »
Guess when Disney+ officially comes to Singapore  , my UHDs purchases will slow down.

I subscribes to Netflix, Prime, Viu and TVB Anywhere, and definitely Disney and Fox when it arrives here. Unfortunately, cannot find a single player that plays all this.

Still I believe I will still get discs. At least i will still have access when one day I end the subscriptions or that got pulled out from the offerings.

E.g. The Great Wall is no longer on Netflix, i can't watch it legitimately if i feel like it unless I have bought the disc. Lol...thus now looking for it.

Offline dsj88

« Reply #294 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54 »
 You are not missing much not watching The Great Wall. ;D

Offline wcseow

« Reply #295 on: March 26, 2020, 10:54 »
Lol...I meant again.

Wife just 2 weeks ago say want to watch it, now its gone and she said why nvr buy disc and I know she did not finished it. Got Andy Lau..haha

Every time a new Star Wars movie comes out, she will go on a Star Wars epic movie watching. I cant wait till I got all my gear to make a copy of it.

😁😁

Offline alvin01

« Reply #296 on: March 26, 2020, 12:53 »
Agreed that physical media still provides the best in video and audio quality. Streaming is a compromise in both areas (PQ and SQ). But major Hollywood studios are betting big in streaming business. Just last year, Apple and Disney invested heavily into their streaming ecosystem. With the covid-19 pandemic going on, we are seeing some newly movies like bloodshot, trolls 2 (never made a theatrical release iirc), the way back to name a few going straight to streaming in less than a month after it’s theatrical release. The only draw that may attract more members to sign up streaming likely to be early viewing access to new Hollywood blockbuster. But studios will likely resist releasing big budget movies to streaming platform without first making huge returns from selling movie tickets first.

These are strange times that we live in. Starting today, all cinema chains to be closed for one month (till end of April).

For movie fans and home theatre enthusiasts like us, best in PQ and SQ is a must have to enjoy our movie the way it is meant to be. But I couldn’t help but having a feeling that the future is bleak for physical media when studios decide to go full steam ahead with streaming.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that at some stage, it will be pointless to stand against the tide of progress. But the discerning will know that newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2020, 12:55 »
I agree that at some stage, it will be pointless to stand against the tide of progress. But the discerning will know that newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

Agreed to a certain extent.

Offline alvin01

« Reply #298 on: March 26, 2020, 13:00 »

For streaming to work well, bandwith must be adequate and stable. Didn't Netflix recently reduce its streaming quality to cope with a surge in demand brought about by COVID-19 lockdowns? What I know for sure is that even if the internet is down, I'm able to watch my physical media.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #299 on: March 26, 2020, 14:09 »
Netflix in Europe did reduce their bandwidth. Don’t know if DisneyPlus did the same.

All I know is - A New Hope on UHD Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos is only available on DisneyPlus so... MTL
End of Line - Derezzed