Author Topic: Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!  (Read 3114 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 08:53 »
That's exactly my initial thoughts and impression after reading many reviews between NAD, ROTEL and Arcam comparisons ... But it is not right of me to jump to conclusion and call NAD as inferior to the rest of the lot especially when i never actually listen to it before. I think we should at least give the NAD a listen first before we comment. Hopefully Bro Sevenz like what he hears...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I see, I didn’t read any reviews, I heard about Dirac last year, so was shortlisting a few, then I came across NAD, looks very attractive indeed for its price and went for the demo... I almost lost confidence in Dirac itself... then I realised many things could have been improved in the room, so kept my faith with Dirac

And you right, Best is always to hear it yourself, some may like, some may not like

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 09:01 »
The arcam that I heard was not at the Av one demo room, it was at a friends place, who uses raidho speakers. So maybe that wasn’t a fair comparison.

I don’t rely on any reviews either, I normally prefer to hear it myself, the Mrs is my second pair of ears and eyes. Quite similar and lucky for us, have a second pair of ears and eyes to confirm.

When I had a listen on the NAD T758, I was focused on a few things.

1. Soundstage & Imaging
2. Atmos
3. Clarity
4. Bass

As it was for HT demo, For the first, my focus was on how the centre channel integrated with the the rest of the speakers in the room. It lacked the depth and width, despite having a large room. The centre channel didn’t produce the kind of wide dispersion expected.For HT, centre is very important, 50% content emanates from centre

2. For Atmos, i always play two type of files, rain/helicopter scene. This two clips will demonstrate how wide the soundstage is for the Atmos set up, as if the skies are above you. Then there is another clip, Santeria something, that clip instead, plays precision type of object based sound, each speaker producing sound from certain direction, within a bubble at the MLP. This will provide the brain some form of directionality, that sound is emnanating from TOP left , or front height right. There needs to be a sense of directitvity, not all above the head. When I played the rain and helicopter scenes, I felt as if rain was above me, but not behind me. So it was out, lacking immersion

3. Clarity was lacking, the sound seemed dull. Lotsa detailes being masked out. It was missing the kind of minor details that I normally hear, fire sound in the background, footsteps, the higher frequencies and airy feel wasn’t present

4. Bass was a no no, lotsa texture missing. Couldn’t feel any movement of bass from left to right or thumping feel, nothing. Very dull.

I didn’t demo further, cos too many downsides for me. So in the end I wasn’t convinced enough....that was my experience last year November 2017. Maybe the upgraded version t777 will tell a different story
Haha... It confirmed one thing... Not even the superior Dirac Live calibration module can help if your speaker/subwoofer placement, the room itself and your MLP can make your system sound good.

Ground work is still the key. With strong foundation, even Audyssey can bring good results.

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 11:10 »
@Desray: No worries at all, I thought you have heard before so I asked. I do agree that the older gen NAD gears are just decent, not much to expect on elaborated bells and whistles.

@ronildoq: Mind I ask if you have asked the demo guy at Lenbrook why not target curve was used Dirac? Usually I will ask on-spot to clear the air than leave the door quietly.  I always managed my expectation when dealing with audition on HT stuffs apart from Sound Decision being one of the best in town and readily available.

Aside, what speakers are you using for HT?

@kaydee6: On Acram, the resolution is given but I felt AV One has done wrongly by pairing with Dynaudio as I did went and check it out too. In my mind, it should sound better if via Arcam processor and power combo. Good to know that I'm not alone on NAD.

My take and search are much simpler, both current NAD AVR(s) are fairly decent priced as opposed to Denon's the recent spike in prices. NAD T758 V3 @S$2300 & NAD T777 V3 @S$3799, both are my reference point of budget when Denon 7200WA was retailed at S$3000 - I'm using that at the moment. Of cause, I have shortlisted others like Arcam so long it is uses DIRAC LIVE.

In my case, I have heard NAD AVR(s) both in Lenbrook & GP and pretty much like what I have heard so far. In my opinion, clearly a step-up from the old days in resolution etc. Their M series are good but not price friendly from HT point of view.

Have a read on coverage by AVS - I have been reading on them...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2963742-nad-t777-v3-dolby-atmos-av-receiver-hands-review.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2895049-nad-758-v3-49.html

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 17:51 »
Most showrooms dont spend much effort for the setup and calibration.

If they can kindly allow for home trial it would be good. =)

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 18:02 »
Sales folks... in recent years... majority only looking for quick and decisive deals.
U ask for demo, most of them would spend 15mins max nia... they won't burn more than half an hour or so, demonstrate using different materials as well as different combos(with different speakers in this sense)... not to mention calibrate their demo system as according to what kind of environment they're in...

Of course... not all sales folks are like that, there'll be still some old birds that willing to burn their time... Since they were paid to do so...

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 18:21 »
Yes tikto, I did ask the guy, why didn’t u use the target curves provided by NAD? They have provided something called “house feel” curve. I Advised him to give it a try.He said he wasn’t aware and his understanding is everything should be calibrated to a flat target....I’ve also shared some thoughts on speaker placement, but again demo room set up is his call...

In the end, I left with hopes dashed, and am still waiting for the next affordable Dirac  processor. Hopefully I’m able to find one that I like soon.....

Am using the GX300 Monitor Audio

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 18:39 »
Haha... It confirmed one thing... Not even the superior Dirac Live calibration module can help if your speaker/subwoofer placement, the room itself and your MLP can make your system sound good.

Ground work is still the key. With strong foundation, even Audyssey can bring good results.

+1 room and placement comes before eq

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 18:52 »
Yes tikto, I did ask the guy, why didn’t u use the target curves provided by NAD? They have provided something called “house feel” curve. I Advised him to give it a try.He said he wasn’t aware and his understanding is everything should be calibrated to a flat target....I’ve also shared some thoughts on speaker placement, but again demo room set up is his call...

In the end, I left with hopes dashed, and am still waiting for the next affordable Dirac  processor. Hopefully I’m able to find one that I like soon.....

Am using the GX300 Monitor Audio
Thanks for sharing further on your audition experience.

Let me share a little further being an ex MA GX100 user. On your experience on imaging, clarity and details etc when NAD AVR is paired with PSB speakers. They are dome based tweeter speakers.

For user who is MA GX series, the model’s tweeter is ribbon based. That will fall short for one as the ribbon tweeter is very directional, sharp in imaging, extended HF that one will find that HF is rolled off for dome based tweeter. Also lacking in details and clarity.

Personally, I think that’s fine.

Offline jdc115

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 12:08 »
Just realised the NAD receivers are using Dirac live!  :o :o and can store 5 sound profiles/house curves. Nice.

And the parts are modular. Nad designed it to be upgradable by parts, e.g. for hdmi version proofing. Quite smart

While modular, don't assume that it is future proof. I had one of the earlier modular NAD processors and only a couple modules ever released that it supported which I didn't need. But the current modules are not likely to be able to be used in the processors and receivers that are a bit older and have older processors.

In the end, my processor bricked about 2 months past warranty and the quote to fix was too high and they weren't sure if exactly what was wrong. I grew up always having an NAD so sort of have a soft spot for them but haven't kept up with their products lately.

Offline Djblackfm

• Snr Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 21:20 »
Any bros using NAD M17V2?  ;D ???
Emotiva XPA-5 GEN2
Emotiva A700
OPPO 203 (Pre Amp)
Polk Audio Tsi 500 (L&R)
Polk Audio CS20 (Center)
Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II (Surr L&R)
Mission mhtds surround (Surr Back L&R)
4x SVS Elevation Speaker
2x JL Audio E112

Offline Djblackfm

• Snr Member
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 20:53 »
For those who are planning to purchase. Hope it helps  :D
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/nad-m17v2

Emotiva XPA-5 GEN2
Emotiva A700
OPPO 203 (Pre Amp)
Polk Audio Tsi 500 (L&R)
Polk Audio CS20 (Center)
4x SVS Elevation Speaker
2x JL Audio E112

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 21:45 »
For those who are planning to purchase. Hope it helps  :D
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/nad-m17v2

Surprisingly it does not come with DTS:X decoding OOTB and still requires a further firmware update in due course.

Offline Djblackfm

• Snr Member
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 21:51 »
Surprisingly it does not come with DTS:X decoding OOTB and still requires a further firmware update in due course.
Yup it did not come OOTB. If I never rmb wrongly it took quite a long time for this news for the fireware update to be out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Emotiva XPA-5 GEN2
Emotiva A700
OPPO 203 (Pre Amp)
Polk Audio Tsi 500 (L&R)
Polk Audio CS20 (Center)
4x SVS Elevation Speaker
2x JL Audio E112

Offline yanwei

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 07:40 »
Agree with bro jdc115 post regarding modular upgrades. Don't expect too much for future proof promises after reading the emotiva xmc-1 HDMI upgrade board issues. Some users have problems even after following the upgrade steps exactly. Emotiva says it is due to some of the existing components inside xmc-1 not compatible with the new chips in the upgrade board. Not sure if NAD will fall into the same upgrade problems.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang
HT setup: Emotiva, Seaton, SVS, Sony

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 07:49 »
Agree with bro jdc115 post regarding modular upgrades. Don't expect too much for future proof promises after reading the emotiva xmc-1 HDMI upgrade board issues. Some users have problems even after following the upgrade steps exactly. Emotiva says it is due to some of the existing components inside xmc-1 not compatible with the new chips in the upgrade board. Not sure if NAD will fall into the same upgrade problems.

RMC-1 was in my wish list since 2016, until end 2018 they still couldn’t get it to work properly, full of bugs. In the end I gave up and almost went for the storm, luckily I had a last min u turn and went for lyngdorf mp50. No turning back after that.

I don’t think the NAD is in the same category as the emotivas

NAD was very clear, they mentioned clearly the set doesn’t support dtsx and will be available soon.

Emotiva on the other, mentioned it comes with all sorts of features but at launch, can’t even get Dirac to work, due to lack of processing power.

A clear case of over promising and under delivering

What makes u think they could get it to work now when they have been trying to get it to work since 2016 and been futile ? It’s very hard, by the time they could get it to work, the dac chips inside are 2-3 generations behind, so for components as wells .

The confidence is all time Low with emotiva processor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk