Author Topic: Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!  (Read 3115 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Anyone using the new NAD AVRs? It has Dirac live!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 15:14 »
At $3K, it is actually quite a premium price to pay...i believe the hardware must be rather premium quality stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 16:53 »

I take back my words...it is wrong of me to pass a negative remarks on NAD products when I personally have not experience it myself. My advice, go and have a listen and you will be the judge for yourself.
In the past... back during Pro-Logic matrix surround to AC3 transition period, NAD and ROTEL were considered "soft" in hometheater audio game competition when compared to other makes in the market from the Japs or North Americans(Sherwood, Carver comes to mind). More attentions were put on their stereo products then... which excels in both affordability as well as performance in the music field.

When discrete surround format turns matured, ROTEL takes the lead in performance when compared to NAD. Today... when we reach the full spectrum surround, base on praises and wows in reviews is not enough... I should also find a chance to go audition it... probably not the T777v3 but the little affordable T758v3...
( ;D If NAD can offer improvements on T748... lagi best! ;D )

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 16:58 »
These days seldom go down to Adelphi ever since Funan closed down. I think I should pay all the shop owners like Clarence from KEC and Sammy from SD a visit. And of course not forgetting the good staff from GP where I purchased my entire KEF R series.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 17:10 »
At $3K, it is actually quite a premium price to pay...i believe the hardware must be rather premium quality stuff.
Well... if you put it to compete with the Brits... Cambridge Audio and ARCAM... Or fellow Canadian ANTHEM?
Perhaps NAD may turn out to be budget winner?

Offline ballhead

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 17:18 »
I find my NAD audio hardware to be of way better quality than the AVRs I owned from Onkyo and Denon.  Both brands HDMI cards have fried on me within 1 year, and their backplate connectors were flimsy to say the least.  Not sure if NAD AVRs is of similar hardware quality as their audio series, but from my own user experience, I won't hesitate to consider NAD if shopping for gear...

Also NAD don't quote BS power ratings like the Japanese AVR and their sneaky fine-print power specs, NAD have a Full Disclosure Power policy.  Weblink here: https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000158988-NAD-Full-Disclosure-Power

Offline ballhead

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 17:23 »
These days seldom go down to Adelphi ever since Funan closed down. I think I should pay all the shop owners like Clarence from KEC and Sammy from SD a visit. And of course not forgetting the good staff from GP where I purchased my entire KEF R series.

Can't beat visiting Lenbrook showroom if wanting to see the widest range of NAD/PSB stuff in SG.  I actually feel quite relaxed there, compared to browsing NAD at Alpha Audio (shuddering at the memory) or other NAD dealers...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 17:28 »
Well... if you put it to compete with the Brits... Cambridge Audio and ARCAM... Or fellow Canadian ANTHEM?
Perhaps NAD may turn out to be budget winner?
Very true...if we group these 3 brands together.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 19:08 »
I’ve actually had a listen on the t758 model last November 2017 at lenbrook .

That model came with Dirac, but sad It seemed like the clarity, details were missing when I played back some of the familiar Atmos tracks for demo. Atmos Speaker placement in the demo room didn’t feel right either , bass was like errrr.... i didn’t quite liked what I heard in the room, maybe I’m not a fan of the bur brown dacs on the NAD... so not sure if it was the speaker, AVR, or calibration

Later I noticed it wasn’t able to playback dtsx... so not sure if that was fixed or not. Firmware is one concern

Demo guy was very friendly and helpful, he explained in detail how Dirac was set up. Later while checking out Dirac, I noticed he didn’t use the recommended target curve provided by NAD, instead he calibrated the system to a flat target. Also noticed the microphone used is of lower quality ...

Moral of the story, it’s important to Ensure demo room is properly calibrated, otherwise consumers just lose confidence in the product...

iiii
Code: [Select]
[IMG]. [/IMG]h

Not sure how this new model v3 sounds, but this seems like the cheapest available Dirac capable AVR. Probably worth another visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 19:09 »
Very true...if we group these 3 brands together.

Arcam is actually quite good, very neutral sound. Not bad really. Arcam anytime over NAD

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 19:19 »
Arcam is actually quite good, very neutral sound. Not bad really. Arcam anytime over NAD

That's exactly my initial thoughts and impression after reading many reviews between NAD, ROTEL and Arcam comparisons ... But it is not right of me to jump to conclusion and call NAD as inferior to the rest of the lot especially when i never actually listen to it before. I think we should at least give the NAD a listen first before we comment. Hopefully Bro Sevenz like what he hears...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 19:22 »

I’ve actually had a listen on the t758 model last November 2017 at lenbrook .

That model came with Dirac, but sad It seemed like the clarity, details were missing when I played back some of the familiar Atmos tracks for demo. Atmos Speaker placement in the demo room didn’t feel right either , bass was like errrr.... i didn’t quite liked what I heard in the room, maybe I’m not a fan of the bur brown dacs on the NAD... so not sure if it was the speaker, AVR, or calibration

Later I noticed it wasn’t able to playback dtsx... so not sure if that was fixed or not. Firmware is one concern

Demo guy was very friendly and helpful, he explained in detail how Dirac was set up. Later while checking out Dirac, I noticed he didn’t use the recommended target curve provided by NAD, instead he calibrated the system to a flat target. Also noticed the microphone used is of lower quality ...

Moral of the story, it’s important to Ensure demo room is properly calibrated, otherwise consumers just lose confidence in the product...

Can't agreed more...

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 21:48 »
On the contrary, my audition at Lenbrook with the nad t777 and psb imagine T3 speakers was one of the best I had. Both for multi channels and 2 channels music. The one I heard at AVone with the AV 850 and Uber expensive Dynaudio speakers can’t hold a candle to it.  The nad and psb speakers demo impressed me so much I went back again and listen to the 2 channels demo weeks later. I would think the m17 and m27 would be even better.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 07:04 »
On the contrary, my audition at Lenbrook with the nad t777 and psb imagine T3 speakers was one of the best I had. Both for multi channels and 2 channels music. The one I heard at AVone with the AV 850 and Uber expensive Dynaudio speakers can’t hold a candle to it.  The nad and psb speakers demo impressed me so much I went back again and listen to the 2 channels demo weeks later. I would think the m17 and m27 would be even better.

Ah...thks for sharing. Further proved the fact that "sound is a very subjective" matter. What sounds so-so may sound great to another person's ears. Another way to look at it is that each iteration or a step up from previous year's model can have a different audio signature and improvement.

Whatever the case maybe, it is recommended for those interested in NAD gears to go and have a listen rather than relying on reviews found in the internet.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:08 by desray »

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 08:07 »
The litmus gauge is my wife who was with me on multiple auditions. Naim, neat, focal, pmc, psb, octave, atc, b&w, anthem, elac, Paradigm. When the wife sits up listen and commented this is music, it says something. The lensbrook setup takes the first place for both of us. The worse is b&w. Not all the credit goes to nad, it’s the room and the psb t3 also.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:18 by kaydee6 »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 08:44 »
The arcam that I heard was not at the Av one demo room, it was at a friends place, who uses raidho speakers. So maybe that wasn’t a fair comparison.

I don’t rely on any reviews either, I normally prefer to hear it myself, the Mrs is my second pair of ears and eyes. Quite similar and lucky for us, have a second pair of ears and eyes to confirm.

When I had a listen on the NAD T758, I was focused on a few things.

1. Soundstage & Imaging
2. Atmos
3. Clarity
4. Bass

As it was for HT demo, For the first, my focus was on how the centre channel integrated with the the rest of the speakers in the room. It lacked the depth and width, despite having a large room. The centre channel didn’t produce the kind of wide dispersion expected.For HT, centre is very important, 50% content emanates from centre

2. For Atmos, i always play two type of files, rain/helicopter scene. This two clips will demonstrate how wide the soundstage is for the Atmos set up, as if the skies are above you. Then there is another clip, Santeria something, that clip instead, plays precision type of object based sound, each speaker producing sound from certain direction, within a bubble at the MLP. This will provide the brain some form of directionality, that sound is emnanating from TOP left , or front height right. There needs to be a sense of directitvity, not all above the head. When I played the rain and helicopter scenes, I felt as if rain was above me, but not behind me. So it was out, lacking immersion

3. Clarity was lacking, the sound seemed dull. Lotsa detailes being masked out. It was missing the kind of minor details that I normally hear, fire sound in the background, footsteps, the higher frequencies and airy feel wasn’t present

4. Bass was a no no, lotsa texture missing. Couldn’t feel any movement of bass from left to right or thumping feel, nothing. Very dull.

I didn’t demo further, cos too many downsides for me. So in the end I wasn’t convinced enough....that was my experience last year November 2017. Maybe the upgraded version t777 will tell a different story