Author Topic: Apple Event - new iPhones?  (Read 22418 times)

Offline AndrewC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Apple Event 12 Sept - new iPhones?
« Reply #285 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29 »
I'm going to make this terse...my humble advice to you is, if you have nothing constructive to offer...then I suggest you keep those snide remarks to yourself...it'll only make people annoyed at you.

There wasn’t anything snide in my imagining you’re iPhone obsessed… but re-read your response to my one-liner though; so totally over the top (hence my “calm down” animated gif in response).

And for the record, it doesn’t bother me one bit whether anyone’s annoyed at me or not, it’s not my problem if they can’t take some ribbing without flying off the handle :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #286 on: August 25, 2019, 09:36 »
There wasn’t anything snide in my imagining you’re iPhone obsessed… but re-read your response to my one-liner though; so totally over the top (hence my “calm down” animated gif in response).

And for the record, it doesn’t bother me one bit whether anyone’s annoyed at me or not, it’s not my problem if they can’t take some ribbing without flying off the handle :)

I know you are going to say that...not a surprise to me at all. Thanks for the response. You’ve made your points and duly noted. Life’s short, time to move on...

Let’s get back to the main topic.

Is anyone excited about the iPhone 11 and their “new” camera system? Those interested, pls chime in...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #287 on: August 25, 2019, 09:45 »
So I deleted the app and reloaded it.. lost all my notes  :'(
Marie Kondo moment I guess
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #288 on: August 25, 2019, 09:53 »
I know you are going to say that...not a surprise to me at all. Thanks for the response. You’ve made your points and duly noted. Life’s short, time to move on...

Fair enough  :)

Let’s get back to the main topic.

Is anyone excited about the iPhone 11 and their “new” camera system? Those interested, pls chime in...

The biggest thing that most "pre-reviews" don't seem to talk about is whether the new iPhone's low-light performance surpasses those of newer Android camera-phones. IMHO, that's more important than a new wide-angle lens (albeit, for the last few months I've been using an anamorphic lens attachment with my iPhone XS to great effect, but sucks for low-light).

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2019, 09:54 »
So I deleted the app and reloaded it.. lost all my notes  :'(
Marie Kondo moment I guess

But it solved the issue with the app crashes?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Apple Event 12 Sept - new iPhones?
« Reply #290 on: August 25, 2019, 10:05 »

The biggest thing that most "pre-reviews" don't seem to talk about is whether the new iPhone's low-light performance surpasses those of newer Android camera-phones. IMHO, that's more important than a new wide-angle lens (albeit, for the last few months I've been using an anamorphic lens attachment with my iPhone XS to great effect, but sucks for Low-light).

That’s what I called a good and constructive take on things..Keep it up!

Agreed on the importance to take good Low light photos...that’s what differentiates most phones these days. If taken during day time, even mid-tiered phones can do a wonderful job these days. Apple’s way of doing things is they are “always” slow to adopt features of their Android brethren...and then rolled it out as though it is some kind of “innovation” or “latest” features. The way they do business and rolling out their technology can best be described as adopting the “wait-and-see” methodology to find out how a “new” feature worked and received by the consumers and then “improve” on the “proven” features with its own “Apple magical touch” like the incorporation of their very own in-house accented features to make it work even better.

We shall see how its Low-light photography compares with the new Pixel 4 (coming soon)...and yes, Google finally going to implement more than 1 camera lens this time (more for depth sensing I presume).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:07 by desray »

Offline petetherock

« Reply #291 on: August 25, 2019, 10:14 »
But it solved the issue with the app crashes?

Yes but at a high price ..

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: August 25, 2019, 10:15 »
Yes but at a high price ..

Did you enable iCloud back-up? Perhaps you can take connect your iPhone XR to the iTunes again to see if there is any backup for your to restore. Unless of course, you never turn on iCloud all these times.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #293 on: August 25, 2019, 12:46 »
Did you enable iCloud back-up? Perhaps you can take connect your iPhone XR to the iTunes again to see if there is any backup for your to restore. Unless of course, you never turn on iCloud all these times.

Did the restore from my iMac and it crashes.. so I had to bite the bullet and restore without the notes... pity..

My gear:

Online Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2019, 16:30 »
Did the restore from my iMac and it crashes.. so I had to bite the bullet and restore without the notes... pity..

maybe something inside the notes database, or size of the notes is causing the crash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2019, 17:02 »

maybe something inside the notes database, or size of the notes is causing the crash...

That’s possible too.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #296 on: August 26, 2019, 21:03 »
...Apple’s way of doing things is they are “always” slow to adopt features of their Android brethren...and then rolled it out as though it is some kind of “innovation” or “latest” features....

Oh, come now, that’s a pretty absurd commentary. History has clearly shown us, at a minimum, it cuts both ways. Plenty of things that Android has copied Apple over the years, from the most basic, of the phone as a platform, to multi-touch, to the UI design, to the physical design etc etc.

As for the Camera difference, keep in mind that there's only 1 or 2 camera-phone sensor manufacturers that everyone uses, and those sensor chips have mostly equivalent performance. So the main image difference (low-light or otherwise) is in Software. Google/Android benefits from a couple of image processing acquisitions, the rest won't be far along :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: August 26, 2019, 21:06 »
Oh, come now, that’s a pretty absurd commentary. History has clearly shown us, at a minimum, it cuts both ways. Plenty of things that Android has copied Apple over the years, from the most basic, of the phone as a platform, to multi-touch, to the UI design, to the physical design etc etc.

As for the Camera difference, keep in mind that there's only 1 or 2 camera-phone sensor manufacturers that everyone uses, and those sensor chips have mostly equivalent performance. So the main image difference (low-light or otherwise) is in Software. Google/Android benefits from a couple of image processing acquisitions, the rest won't be far along :)

Absurd?! Let’s make it preposterous to make it even more catchy. Anyway glad u see it this way. Goes to show u are neutral after all.

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
« Reply #298 on: August 26, 2019, 22:19 »
Absurd?! Let’s make it preposterous to make it even more catchy. Anyway glad u see it this way. Goes to show u are neutral after all.

Actually from the way he post, he has never been neutral, it is very clear to me that he is in apple cam all along.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2019, 22:20 »
Actually from the way he post, he has never been neutral, it is very clear to me that he is in apple cam all along.

LoL.