Author Topic: Contact of well known technicians for high end audio here  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Jagdpanzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • HT & Audio
Please list the well known technicians here whom the dealers engage for repair for high end audio. Sometimes, it's better to go direct to these technicians to know the truth on the state of repair. I believe these technicians may be part timers or freelancers for the dealers.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 21:54 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline soultribe

Re: Contact of well known technicians for high end audio here
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 17:06 »
I am looking too for quite a long time- but no rush.as i have a few vintage solid state hi-fi needed to look at.
but parts are hard to come by. i dont mind replacement of IC and transistor ( mine is SAE pre and power). cost is no issue, as these gears are pass down from my late father- so it held sentiment values.

Offline nekatrall

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 13:40 »
You can always look for Adrian from Memory Lane. But he's usually swamped with too many stuff to repair. Sometimes even the shops at Adelphi too send him stuff to fix

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 22:51 »
Usually for old amps, the electrolytic caps will dry out and the capacitance will drop. Some will even overheat and pop. The old carbon composite resistors will drift in value and some will even crack due to prolong heat exposure. Then there are the switches. Some are impossible to find replacements when they do go bad and nigh impossible to refurbish. I haven't mentioned the internal wires, ICs and transistors, and power supply transformer yet. Restoration with original parts? IMHO, a bad idea.

Would I repair classics? No. It's not that I haven't tried. It's better to strip out the entire internals and rebuild from scratch. Why? If a faulty component is replaced, it will cause a cascade of other component failures especially if it's very old, say 30 odd years. Cheaper amps don't last as long. Furthermore, without a circuit diagram, you'll be wallowing in the dark.

A case in point. I have my Dad's old Sansui Au-222 that's been crackling for years. I have replaced all the e-caps. I have replaced most of the internal wires. A couple of the throw switches have broken off and the only way to replace them is to salvage another Sansui. Almost all the transistors need replacing. Luckily there are modern equivalents. The binding posts and RCA sockets have tarnished. The casing has rusted. However, I found the circuit for it and I will repair it because I grew up with it.

So if you want to refurbish an old amp, do learn to do it yourself. I did and I'm not a tech.

My 2 Lira's worth.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 22:54 by DIYer Straits »
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline Esquire

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 23:06 »
Mine is serviced by Chu who used to work for Kingsley Audio
I have lost his phone contact

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:42 »
I used to do this kind of work on vintage gear but the labour cost is many hours (cost is high) and hard to find parts as Sanjay noted. It’s a labour of love and no guarantee something won’t go wrong and possibly render all the effort worthless.

I no longer do this work so please don’t ask me. Good luck if you can find someone capable and affordable.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:47 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal