Author Topic: Pioneer 4K player coming  (Read 10518 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Re: Pioneer 4K player coming
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2019, 15:02 »
you got a LX500 is it ?  is SG pricing "competitive" ?

Pioneer player always has very good built. But the loading is known to be slow.  Is the loading speed improved ?

Btw Pioneer used to have this reputation of being "very sharp" and "very strong color" in dvd/ld days.  Particularly the perception of sharpness.  Sometimes it's actually due to the way its chroma decoding/upsampling. Some say it is a bit artificially enhanced.  do you see any ?  I see multiple reviews mentioning LX500/800 failing the chroma zone resolution, and recommending using 4:2:2 as the best output for the player and let your PJ to do the full chroma channel.

Bro, I haven't really test out the disc playback yet...I will be doing it later in the day. Price in Singapore is never competitive for Pioneer. :(

So far, I only tested dff/dsd/flac/ape/wav streaming via network from my Synology NAS and it played flawlessly :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Pioneer 4K player coming
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2019, 19:23 »
Played a couple of UHD titles - i.e. Rampant, Antman & the Wasp and Deadpool 2 on this Pioneer UDP-LX500. The first title has proper metadata derived from the Master Display Info with MaxCLL (494 nits) and MaxFALL (364 nits). The other 2 titles from Disney and 20th Century Fox doesn't have the metadata...unfortunately.

(Pictures shot using iPhone and compressed in JPG for viewing. Actual picture is much much better than what is depicted here)

Antman & the Wasp (SDR)

Antman & the Wasp (HDR)

Antman & the Wasp (HDR - No MaxCLL & MaxFALL values)

Rampage (HDR)

Pioneer comes with its own set of Brightness, Contrast, Hue (Tint), Chroma level (Color) and Sharpness options to play with but I found it to be quite coarse in it adjustments as such after few rounds of tries, I decided to use my projector's (JVC N7) settings to fine-tune the Brightness and Contrast levels.

Using Masciola's 4K HDR test patterns, I set my Contrast to +7 and Brightness to -2. For the Pioneer player, I've set the Chroma level to +2 for more color vibrancy but without overdoing it.

To answer c722's query on Pioneer's color space to YCbCr 4:2:2 for better results. I did a chroma subsampling checks and tested all available color space - i.e. YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:0 and even RGB and contrary to what some claim that the player failed in the chroma subsampling when it comes to resolving the details at 4K/60 and should allow the display (in my case, JVC N7) to do the video processing...to my surprise, Pioneer actually does a better job with video processing of native 4K resolution at RGB 4:4:4 instead...what this means is that Pioneer will be doing all the processing work before sending the "processed" signal to the display (JVC N7) and the results is more details with less grain as compared to YCbCr color space at 4:4:4 (worst of the bunch), 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 (no perceptible difference between the 2 color space).

Don't get me wrong, JVC N7's video processing is still very good but I actually preferred the Pioneer for 4K HDR content this time round.

Some of the other test patterns used include, White and Black clippings in HDR mode very important as this will help to ensure proper Contrast and Black levels can be achieved while viewing HDR10 content.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 19:51 by desray »

Offline c722

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2019, 13:28 »
YCbCr color space at 4:4:4 (worst of the bunch)

so you also confirmed Pio failed in chroma resolution. in 4:2:2 pio did not upsample the chroma channel leaving it to the display.

although i'm very surprised RGB works better. In order to do RGB, it must 1st upsample to 4:4:4.  something weird is happening in the algo here.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2019, 13:53 »
so you also confirmed Pio failed in chroma resolution. in 4:2:2 pio did not upsample the chroma channel leaving it to the display.

although i'm very surprised RGB works better. In order to do RGB, it must 1st upsample to 4:4:4.  something weird is happening in the algo here.

Yep...that's what the test patterns shows and the results are telling. :)

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2019, 17:51 »
Have not been following but are the latest Pioneer 4k players now available in Singapore?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2019, 17:53 »
Have not been following but are the latest Pioneer 4k players now available in Singapore?

Yes.

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2019, 18:19 »
Which new models are available and what are their street prices?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Pioneer 4K player coming
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2019, 19:55 »
Which new models are available and what are their street prices?

Only the LX-500 model is available from what gathered. You may want to check with Alpha Audio to see if they carry it. Take note, there is a supply shortage for LX-500/800 worldwide. So if you want to get, better hurry. The MSRP for a local set would cost about $1.7K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cstanxpl

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2019, 15:09 »
Pioneer LX500 is the test winner in the latest issue of WHF?

Comapred against Cambridge Audio CXUHD & Panasonic UB9000.
"With such collusions don't it make you wanna SCREAM?"

"Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!"

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2019, 23:04 »
Pioneer LX500 is the test winner in the latest issue of WHF?

Comapred against Cambridge Audio CXUHD & Panasonic UB9000.

While I can't say for the Panny and the Cambridge Audio players but what I am "seeing (PQ) and hearing (SQ)" on my new Pioneer UDP-LX500 is nothing short of amazing...I will say it is quite a compatible match between my JVC N7 and Pioneer LX500.

Offline Vinylfan

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 21:33 »
While I can't say for the Panny and the Cambridge Audio players but what I am "seeing (PQ) and hearing (SQ)" on my new Pioneer UDP-LX500 is nothing short of amazing...I will say it is quite a compatible match between my JVC N7 and Pioneer LX500.
Very positive feedback. Hope someone will bring in the Panasonic 9000 for comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 21:34 »
Very positive feedback. Hope someone will bring in the Panasonic 9000 for comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I believed “someone” will but Panasonic Singapore confirm won’t be bringing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sanhas

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2019, 17:26 »
Just wonder if anyone ever come across the Pioneer UBD LX500 that can play hvec format with full content?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2019, 17:49 »
Just wonder if anyone ever come across the Pioneer UBD LX500 that can play hvec format with full content?

Define "HEVC full content"...Are you saying 4K UHD ISO playback?

Offline sanhas

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2019, 18:01 »

Define "HEVC full content"...Are you saying 4K UHD ISO playback?

Yes.... both UHD and normal bluray files playback with full menu.