Author Topic: WeMax One Pro  (Read 6509 times)

Offline Pismo Mac

• Trade Count: (+2)
WeMax One Pro
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:03 »
Just got one last night from fellow forum member element5. This is my first projector.  I am not totally familiar with projector technologies or terminology.  Most of the information in this post came from the manual, official website or publicly available information on the Internet. 

This is an ultra short throw 1080p laser projector from Appotronics Corporation Ltd (光峰光电技术有限公司), a Chinese company based in Shenzhen.  Appotronics business partners include LG, Foxconn, China Film, Texas Instruments, Barco, Xiaomi, to name a few.

Appotronics manufactures projectors, and for home theatre use, it has 3 models listed on its website - WEMAX ONE Pro, APUS-30E, and APUS-L2500, retailing at RMB24,999 (inclusive of screen), RMB69999 (inclusive of screen) and RMB29,999 respectively.  These are all ultra-short throw projectors. 

Here are the specs for the WEMAX ONE Pro ("WOP"):

ALPD 3.0 laser light source, rated at 25,000 hours, not traditional bulb or LED
Dimensions:  410mmW x 291mmD x 88mmH
Weight:  6.9kg
Electronic focus adjustment
0.47 DMD
1920 x 1080 Full HD native resolution
Contrast 4000:1
Gamut more than 80% NTSC
Colour uniformity more than 80% JBMA
18.08mm focal length
0.233 throw ratio, projecting the following dimensions:

80" display   | 14cm from wall to projector | 29cm from bottom of projector to bottom of display
90" display   | 19cm from wall to projector | 32cm from bottom of projector to bottom of display
100" display | 24cm from wall to projector | 35cm from bottom of projector to bottom of display
120" display | 34cm from wall to projector | 41cm from bottom of projector to bottom of display
150" display | 49cm from wall to projector | 50cm from bottom of projector to bottom of display

Keystone correction:  4 corners or 8 corners adjustments
Brightness: 180 nits
Brightness uniformity:
CPU: Quad core 64bit 1.8Ghz T968 Cortex-A53, 2GB RAM, 16GB MMC high speed flash storage
GPU:  Mali-T830 MP2
Supports 3D, HDR, Bluetooth, Wi-fi/Ethernet, third party apps. 
Come with a Bluetooth remote control. 

WOP has built-in speakers, 2 x full range speakers and 2 x tweeters, total output approx. 30W and comes installed with Mi UI TV and some Mi apps.  Default language for the operating menu is Simplified Chinese, but can be switched to Traditional Chinese or English. 

The mainboard for WOP is upgradeable, and the updates can be pushed to the projector if you are connected via Wi-fi or Ethernet. 

WOP is shipped double boxed - an external protection brown box, and another dark brown packaging box containing the projector.  Items shipped include a power cord (for domestic mainland China use), a remote control, 2 x AAA batteries, warranty card/user manual and a piece of microfibre cloth.  Element5 provided me with another power cord for use in Singapore.  WOP uses an IEC C5 connector, not your usual C13 connector.  It would have been better if it came with a right angle connector as this would create a more flushed look.  If you are not having the WOP shipped to you, you will need at least a bag that is the same size as the blue Ikea carrier bag to fit the box.

How is this projector different from the XiaoMi WEMAX One (XMO)?  I do not think there is a XiaoMI WEMAX ONE product as the reviews for the XMO list the same specifications are the WOP.  On the other hand, XiaoMi has a XiaoMi laser projection TV product (https://www.mi.com/laser-projection/) and the specifications for this products seems to be lower compared to the XMO or the WOP.  The reviewers for the XMO probably thought that the XMO was a XiaoMi product because it uses the MiUI interface.  In my opinion, the XMO and the WOP as likely to be the same product from Appotronics. 

Sorry, no pics for now, still trying to figure out how to post pics.  And I have been busy, so I have not had a chance to setup the projector yet, so please bear with me. 

(edited to clarify difference between the XiaoMi Laser Projection TV, XiaoMI WEMAX ONE and the Appotronics WEMAX ONE Pro products)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:58 by Pismo Mac »

Offline Pismo Mac

Re: WeMax One Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:04 »
Reserved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pismo Mac

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:04 »
Reserved

Offline Ccyao

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:06 »
Keen in this as well.
Waiting for your review.

Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 11:34 »
Seems pretty positive reviews so far

Offline Corona11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Never take a Windtalker seriously.......
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 21:23 »
Waiting for review of a good UST projector, fed up of having to to hdmi rewiring as HDR standards moving so fast in 2 years, from no HDR, to HDR 10 to DV to HDR 10+.

I know this is 1080p but at least see what UST projectors have to offer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 13:24 »

Sorry, no pics for now, still trying to figure out how to post pics. 

Create an account in imgbb. (there are many other free photo sharings sites besides this - but not photobucket as it's not free)
Upload your pics (best to resize smaller before uploading) in there. And copy the Embed code (choose BBCode Full) and paste the code into your post.

Offline element5

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 17:51 »
Create an account in imgbb. (there are many other free photo sharings sites besides this - but not photobucket as it's not free)
Upload your pics (best to resize smaller before uploading) in there. And copy the Embed code (choose BBCode Full) and paste the code into your post.

Come to my place to view real lah. but only get Xgimi Lune, and xiaomi demo set now
looking for more exciting hifi products, go to http://www.lazada.sg/sincere-2006/

Offline element5

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 22:46 »
Keen in this as well.
Waiting for your review.
Hi bro Ccyao, I have moved to Marymount. Come whenever you want!
looking for more exciting hifi products, go to http://www.lazada.sg/sincere-2006/

Offline element5

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 23:42 »
Just got one last night from fellow forum member element5. This is my first projector.  I am not totally familiar with projector technologies or terminology.  Most of the information in this post came from the manual, official website or publicly available information on the Internet. 

How is this projector different from the XiaoMi WEMAX One (XMO)?  In my opinion, after comparing the specs of both projectors, they are probably the same product, just different branding - one is a collaboration with XiaoMi, the other is Appotronics' own product.

Thanks Bro Pismo Mac!  Yes, we are the first to bring Wemax One PRO, the said WOP.  And Bro Pismo Mac is the first user!  Please allow me elaborate Xiaomi Projector (white color), Wemax One, Wemax One PRO.  It may be confusing to many who refer to only English review, which is confusing, and they cannot tell the difference between One and One PRO.

Firstly, the official RMB price for white color xiaomi is 9999,  Wemax one is 11999, Wemax one PRO is 20000+.

Bro Mac may want to tell there is no difference between White Xiaomi and Wemax One. Yes that is true, as I always tell buyers who want the wemax. It is just like a modification. Like HIFI, using some better capacitor, silver wire, then get better sound, but no essential change. These two product really get almost same specs.

However, all the online reviews/specs, actually refer to Wemax One PRO, 7000 lumens instead of 5000 lumens from xiaomi/wemax one. 
Just two numbers tell the difference
Brightness:
wemax ONE - 1688 ANSI lumens (white xiaomi 1500-1600)
wemax one PRO - 2300 ANSI lumens

Currently, I have white xiaomi, Xgimi lune (another amazing set) on demo, I never intent to bring wemax one (without pro), because I know it well since the first day.
The reason I cannot demo wemax PRO now is that orders are pending. I have to fulfill them first. (and maybe I have to sell xiaomi demo set first)

Our showroom is at 03-02, 38 jln pemimpin, 577178. You can park at doorstep, or walk from marymount mrt. (please contact 9125 25 8-five bf coming)  When our screens and equipments all settled, I will formally invite all bros interested to come to have a drink :)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 23:45 by element5 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 06:15 »
Thanks Bro Pismo Mac!  Yes, we are the first to bring Wemax One PRO, the said WOP.  And Bro Pismo Mac is the first user!  Please allow me elaborate Xiaomi Projector (white color), Wemax One, Wemax One PRO.  It may be confusing to many who refer to only English review, which is confusing, and they cannot tell the difference between One and One PRO.

Firstly, the official RMB price for white color xiaomi is 9999,  Wemax one is 11999, Wemax one PRO is 20000+.

Bro Mac may want to tell there is no difference between White Xiaomi and Wemax One. Yes that is true, as I always tell buyers who want the wemax. It is just like a modification. Like HIFI, using some better capacitor, silver wire, then get better sound, but no essential change. These two product really get almost same specs.

However, all the online reviews/specs, actually refer to Wemax One PRO, 7000 lumens instead of 5000 lumens from xiaomi/wemax one. 
Just two numbers tell the difference
Brightness:
wemax ONE - 1688 ANSI lumens (white xiaomi 1500-1600)
wemax one PRO - 2300 ANSI lumens

Currently, I have white xiaomi, Xgimi lune (another amazing set) on demo, I never intent to bring wemax one (without pro), because I know it well since the first day.
The reason I cannot demo wemax PRO now is that orders are pending. I have to fulfill them first. (and maybe I have to sell xiaomi demo set first)

Our showroom is at 03-02, 38 jln pemimpin, 577178. You can park at doorstep, or walk from marymount mrt. (please contact 9125 25 8-five bf coming)  When our screens and equipments all settled, I will formally invite all bros interested to come to have a drink :)

Cheers!

element5, a gentle reminder to stick to the original intent of this thread - i.e. review of this unit. Pls refrain from making it an advertising thread. Your signature below each thread should give you plenty of freedom to do your ad push but not in the main thread. You are welcome to post your own personal reviews and comments using this and other MIC UST laser projectors.

Offline element5

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 14:14 »
OK, i believe bro Pismo Mac does not want his post turn to advertising... sorry for that. but since I was mentioned, and there may be misunderstanding for the product line, I have to participate in the discussion. I have know the repliers for years.  It is natural to invite old friends to come view my new toys. They want, and I have the ability now. 

Anyway, thanks for the kind reminder from desray.  Just pm me if you have any questions.
Seeing is believing. Do not conclude or think without first-hand data.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:17 by element5 »

Offline Pismo Mac

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 11:51 »
Just so there is no confusion, I thought I should clarify this and I've edited my post above.

XiaoMi has a XiaoMi Laser Projection TV (https://www.mi.com/laser-projection/).  This is a 5000 lumens, 3000:1 contrast, ALPD 3.0 laser projector.  I saw this, an export version, at the local Mi Shop at JEM, Jurong East, retailing for about SGD2,400+.  It comes with a month warranty.  The sales assistant there informed me that the local SG version will be available in October 2018. 

If you Google "Xiaomi WEMAX One", you will find several sites reviewing what is essentially a WEMAX ONE laser projector by Appotronics.  You won't find this listed on XiaoMi's official website, because, in all likelihood, this is not a XiaoMi product, but uses MiUI OS and probably looks no different from the interface in the XiaoMi Laser Projection TV. 

I think the WEMAX ONE and the WEMAX ONE Pro are the same, as both products have the same specifications.  If there are internal differences, I wouldn't know.  However, the XiaoMi Laser Projection TV is different from the WEMAX ONE or the WEMAX ONE Pro as the specifications are different. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:59 by Pismo Mac »

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 21:33 »
Reserved

Bro, now that you have owned it for a while, any more comments?
What screen do you use with it?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline Pismo Mac

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 20:46 »
Bro, now that you have owned it for a while, any more comments?
What screen do you use with it?

Sorry, been too busy to sit down to write a proper review.

To summarize - if you want to use a projector but don’t want all the hassle of mounting it on a ceiling and running long HDMI cables, this is the one for you.

I don’t use a screen, just projecting it to a light grey wall. It’s a bedroom setup with a Yamaha YSP-4100 soundbar and source is Apple TV with Infuse.  Infuse will read video files from a NAS, pass through to the soundbar for sound processing. I don’t get Atmos with this soundbar but 5.1/7.1 is good enough and discernible. Might have better effects if you use the Sony soundbar with side speakers.

Once we switch off the bedside lamps and draw the curtains, it’s as dark as it gets. Even with ambient light during daytime, it is viewable. From wall to the edge of the projector is less than 10cm.