Author Topic: JVC Projector X5900 HDR / 4K  (Read 5738 times)

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
Re: JVC Projector X5900 HDR / 4K
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 12:59 »
Yeah I think it's because X790 and X990 boast very high contrast ratios and that usually will be at the expense of some top end brightness. Not sure if the colour filter also has something to do with it.

I think in general, the decision to spend the additional $$$ for X790 or X990 should be based on whether it will be used in a totally light controlled environment coz if it's not, it's much harder to see the gains from a X590.

That is a very good point , if the area is not well control and both projectors are not place side by side than the extra money spent will not be justified .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline sypderman88

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 14:34 »
Agreed..actually JVC eshift 5 4k can resolve many fine details...the issue is you need a good video processor which can upscale chroma and luma to 4:4:4 rgb 12 bit .....

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 14:02 »
i think avsforum many condemn the eshift 5 which is not better than eshift 4, actually make the image softer.

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 15:10 »
i haven seen eshift 4..but coming from HW40es...the sharpness and details of eshift 5 is a giant leap

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 06:30 »
i haven seen eshift 4..but coming from HW40es...the sharpness and details of eshift 5 is a giant leap

i think avsforum many condemn the eshift 5 which is not better than eshift 4, actually make the image softer.

I'm using x7000 which is using eShift 4 and the PQ is very good without going into details... For eShift 5, I believe it should be better with each iteration. The leap in PQ starts from eShift 4 batch onwards... You can't go wrong from thenceforth imo.

When it comes to movie watching, nothing beats JVC intoxicating blacks levels. For me, my next upgrade is still a laser source based projector but I am prepared to sacrifice a little bit of blacks levels in this case. For home cinema, lumens of 800 onwards (for a man cave is the minimum standards) up to 2,000. If doing HDR,  considerable brightness with consistent and uniform light output is a must to bring out the best of WCG like HDR, HDR+, DV and HLG. If future is 4k streaming with HDR content, laser will still be a better choice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:32 by desray »

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 10:52 »
I'm using x7000 which is using eShift 4 and the PQ is very good without going into details... For eShift 5, I believe it should be better with each iteration. The leap in PQ starts from eShift 4 batch onwards... You can't go wrong from thenceforth imo.

When it comes to movie watching, nothing beats JVC intoxicating blacks levels. For me, my next upgrade is still a laser source based projector but I am prepared to sacrifice a little bit of blacks levels in this case. For home cinema, lumens of 800 onwards (for a man cave is the minimum standards) up to 2,000. If doing HDR,  considerable brightness with consistent and uniform light output is a must to bring out the best of WCG like HDR, HDR+, DV and HLG. If future is 4k streaming with HDR content, laser will still be a better choice.

i have seen the demo of optoma UHZ65, color is out. black level is wash out. manage to ask change to dynamic black 2 to slightly improve. image is sharp. i think the FI is on, so action seems unnatural. i feel the right far corner a bit soft compare to center and left. image look flat to me as the contrast doesn't seem high enough, just doesn't feel pop.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 12:09 »
i have seen the demo of optoma UHZ65, color is out. black level is wash out. manage to ask change to dynamic black 2 to slightly improve. image is sharp. i think the FI is on, so action seems unnatural. i feel the right far corner a bit soft compare to center and left. image look flat to me as the contrast doesn't seem high enough, just doesn't feel pop.
Doesn't come as a surprise to me based on what u saw.

Offline eggz

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 08:52 »

Same sentiments, although I'm hoping instead of laser source PJ, those large format direct view displays like Sony CLEDIS or Samsung's Onyx will come down in price sufficiently such that a home application will be viable.

Offline eggz

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2018, 08:54 »
Same sentiments, although I'm hoping instead of laser source PJ, those large format direct view displays like Sony CLEDIS or Samsung's Onyx will come down in price sufficiently such that a home application will be viable.

It's starting....will take a couple of years for prices to drop to reasonable levels I guess.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-to-launch-30-millimetre-thick-luxury-microled-tv-next-year/

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 13:16 »
Hi,

MicroLED, laser-based LCOS/SXRD 4K native projector ..all these new tech will take a few years before reaching domestically-affordable pricing aka less than SGD5K. In the meantime, just get what is available cost effectively and enjoy the UHD/HDR ride.

Offline sypderman88

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2018, 15:48 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2018, 15:58 »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/08/30/jvc-launches-three-new-true-4k-projectors-and-they-look-awesome/

Finally ... affordable native 4k??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cheapest of the lot...though native 4K this time but still using UHP lamp. Nevertheless, a right step forward. I really like the design this time. Instead of making it wider, it make it "taller".

Of course let's also not forget that there are pros and cons of switching from UHP lamp to a laser based source. One being the black levels.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2018, 16:38 »
Looking forward to this .. should have good demand

Offline eggz

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2018, 17:20 »
The auto tone-mapping feature sounds really interesting, like something similar to what that Panasonic 820 UHD blu-ray player does. In fact all PJs that support HDR should have some sort of auto tone-mapping since they can never be expected to reach brightness levels or achieve the sort of specular highlights of HDR TVs. Hopefully this is a feature that we'll find more common in UHD blu-ray players in the future as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 23:50 by eggz »