Author Topic: iFi PRO iDSD MQA/DSD1024/2xDXD DAC/Preamp/Streamer/HP-Amp - Owners Thread  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Just got this cute little device.

Streams from TIDAL Spotify DLNA but sadly not Roon. Hope Roon comes soon.

I was sold on its use of FPGA and multi tap filtering shamelessly taken from Chord. But the FPGA only handles upsampling and filtering - not on the DAC which still uses a conventional BurrBrown DAC chip - 4 of them

Out of the box sounds good. Driving my Oppo PM2 now.

Gonna try some MQA next. Yes Audio for you.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
congrats on your purchase....I am also eyeing on this DAC wonder how it compares to the chord qutest or Naim DAC-V1

Offline Doggie Howser

I have been listening to the Naim Uniti range in the store - have to say I preferred the Uniti Atom as a source than the Chord Hugo2 to the AudioResearch LS28/VT80SE/Amati

But first downside...

Right now to "stream" TIDAL, you have to use a third party app called MUZO and the TIDAL MQA songs I am streaming comes as 44kHz. Damn
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
I have been listening to the Naim Uniti range in the store - have to say I preferred the Uniti Atom as a source than the Chord Hugo2 to the AudioResearch LS28/VT80SE/Amati

But first downside...

Right now to "stream" TIDAL, you have to use a third party app called MUZO and the TIDAL MQA songs I am streaming comes as 44kHz. Damn

I see....I got Naim Atom but it's doesn't came with a USB dac while using my computer....so is either by Optical but if i used optical high bit rate like example DSD and things can't pass through i must get a DAC for my com then preout to my Atom...currently using my old centrance as a DAC which like didn't sound as good as i used Oppo 105D as USB DAC....so thinking of changing lol

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 13:00 by Amon86 »

Offline Doggie Howser

Just bought Audirvana 3 to stream TIDAL Masters to the iFi Pro iDSD - FAIL x 2. only does 48kHz not the full 96kHz
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

Why not just use Roon and stream full MQA to the Naim Atom?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
Why not just use Roon and stream full MQA to the Naim Atom?

Sometimes i use it for my computer audio like gaming at the same time listen to some music....of course using atom standalone by streaming from HDD or tidal services have no problems

Offline Doggie Howser

Guess that makes the Uniti a wrong fit.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

Just bought Audirvana 3 to stream TIDAL Masters to the iFi Pro iDSD - FAIL x 2. only does 48kHz not the full 96kHz

Not sure I follow... where's the 48kHz limitation exactly?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

Not sure I follow... where's the 48kHz limitation exactly?

The TIDAL MQA 24/96 or 24/192 would be sent to the DAC as 24/48 (44.1 for 88.2/176.4)

On an MQA compatible DAC, it should display the unfolded/decoded/deblurred  signal as 24/96 or 24/192 even though the input signal is 24/48. (it does on the PS Audio DS/DSJ for instance).

It turns out iFi is telling a fib. MQA won't be enabled till a firmware update later.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
Hi DH,

How much is this Pro iDSD retailing over there ?
How does it fare with the other DACs which you have used ?

Thanks.
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
I recently went to audit the Uniti Nova and was impressed with its functionalities, design and small foot print.

I did have the impulse to buy it to have a simple 1 box setup with the understanding that I need to lower my SQ expectation. However, the sound was not convincing enough when driving the focal floor stands especially in the bass department.

But first downside...

"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline AndrewC

The TIDAL MQA 24/96 or 24/192 would be sent to the DAC as 24/48 (44.1 for 88.2/176.4)

On an MQA compatible DAC, it should display the unfolded/decoded/deblurred  signal as 24/96 or 24/192 even though the input signal is 24/48. (it does on the PS Audio DS/DSJ for instance).

It turns out iFi is telling a fib. MQA won't be enabled till a firmware update later.

Still not sure I follow completely... Audirvana 3 Plus definitely support MQA Core Decode... including to 24/96.  My Chord Mojo for example doesn’t support MQA decode or rendering, but it can receive a full unfolded MQA from Audirvana at any rate allowed by the release for core decode. Can’t see it should be any different for the iFi DAC that doesn't support MQA... Am I miss-reading something?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

Hi DH,

How much is this Pro iDSD retailing over there ?
How does it fare with the other DACs which you have used ?

Thanks.

It is more expensive here than at Stereo SG. 3699.

I’ve only done some tests on headphones. So far so good.

Will be awhile before I put in the main system. I wish it does have Roon support. The MUZO app sucks.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

I recently went to audit the Uniti Nova and was impressed with its functionalities, design and small foot print.

I did have the impulse to buy it to have a simple 1 box setup with the understanding that I need to lower my SQ expectation. However, the sound was not convincing enough when driving the focal floor stands especially in the bass department.
I would get the Atom and a power amp
End of Line - Derezzed