Author Topic: Optoma UHZ65 VS JVC7900 VS SONY VW360ES VS QLED VS OLED  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Optoma UHZ65 VS JVC7900 VS SONY VW360ES VS QLED VS OLED
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 20:09 »
I have owned the JVC X9500 and now the Sony 760ES.

Definitely black levels on FullHD stuff is better on the JVC. With HDR the elevated blacks, not as clear a winner.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 20:27 »
Actually i tried the epson 4k e-shift before....watching planet earth II in 4k but it doesn't look as great as VW260ES in term of sharp and details....That's why i brought a 360ES without demo a unit....I got PC running on 1080GTX but i don't think i will use it for gaming often as it will eat my lamp life very fast....screen does play some apart as well if you were using cheap screen expensive projector it doesn't does any justice to the projector....

I assume you referring to JVC. Epson is 3LCD using transmissive panel for the mid-tier.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 20:27 »
Bros,

For 4k gaming,highend PC with high settings e.g. max texture etc will be noticeable as it can render very high details. It will be more clearly defined on PC  compared to a PS4pro on Sony projector
 For JVC it has the advantage very high contrast and brighter than Sony.
 Sony motion is better.
 For lens quality only the higher end Sony 760es is better.

Agreed with all your observations. :)

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 20:47 »
I assume you referring to JVC. Epson is 3LCD using transmissive panel for the mid-tier.

Nope...I assume Epson also using same pixel shifting technology so it must be similar to this e-shift thingy the model i demo is Epson tw9300, as for JVC i had no comments as i didn't tried before i don't wanna assume....if asking me for tech spec wise Optoma UHZ65 is a good buy as lamp life is surely better among the 3 cause is laser....like 760es i don't have to worry about the dimming of lamp after long hours of usage......but to me if i had to choose between native 4k and enhanced 4k i will go for native
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 20:50 by Amon86 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 20:53 »
Well is hard to debate about this as mostly here don't owned the following projectors as i tried to asked here before no one reply so i tried going there to test for myself even if have...the person who owned a JVC7900 would only say theirs the best....most here they will only take out tech spec to compare between them without trying themselves or taken ppl's opinion from other forums like AVS...you can only see it for yourself if you deciding to buy one unit from the following....as i wouldn't say my vw360es was the best....if you have the room space and black curtain in place then go for projectors if you want bigger than 85"....if you didn't have those in place...best bet is still tv cause you spent on that 85" tv the price is much more cheaper than a expensive projector with install and everything in place

Not true...take Doggie for instance, he is the most neutral fellow who owned both JVC and now Sony VW760ES that I have come across when it comes to giving his own 2 cents. To me, for those who defend their "own" product and choose not to see the "negative" side of it is shallow in his review. At present, each of the projection technology (usually don't change much - DLP, LCos, 3LCD, DiLA been the usual suspects) all have its fair share of pros and cons. Unfortunately there is NO SUCH thing as a perfect projector imo. Although I presently owned a JVC X7000B faux-4K projector, I don't see it perform better in certain aspects when compared to Sony's true native 4K projector, particularly in bright intra-scenes and animation.

I don't believe in every word that a reviewing website says about a particular brand and model of projectors. Sometimes when I do make references on certain review sites is because because I can relate to what the reviewer(s) is/are referring to on certain comments brought up in his review. But more importantly is also because I have experience with kind of projection technology I have experienced using myself. I have seen Sony's uber expensive VW5000ES (true native 4K panel with laser light source) during one of the demo sessions at Sound Decisions last year and I was totally blown away how punchy and "eye-hurting-ly bright" the laser light source was...but the crazy ass selling price is meant for the super rich and not for mainstream consumers like most of us. Black levels is a let-down for dark scenes as I have witnessed it first hand myself. It simply can't hold a candle with JVC DiLA projector "using UHP lamp as the light source" (not laser though). However when it comes to bright and colorful scenes, SONY simply takes your breath away!!! Simply stunning and the motion flow (best in the industry imo) is superb for true native 4K content. Period!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 20:56 »
Nope...I assume Epson also using same pixel shifting technology so it must be similar to this e-shift thingy the model i demo is Epson tw9300, as for JVC i had no comments as i didn't tried before i don't wanna assume....if asking me for tech spec wise Optoma UHZ65 is a good buy as lamp life is surely better among the 3 cause is laser....like 760es i don't have to worry about the dimming of lamp after long hours of usage......but to me if i had to choose between native 4k and enhanced 4k i will go for native

Epson's e-shift implementation is different from JVC's e-shift even though it utilize the same "concept". You may want to do yourself a favor by taking a look at JVC projector for youself. :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 21:01 »
I have owned the JVC X9500 and now the Sony 760ES.

Definitely black levels on FullHD stuff is better on the JVC. With HDR the elevated blacks, not as clear a winner.

Agreed and like I mentioned before, proper calibration tools and standards for HDR content is the biggest hurdle right now better PQ. We need good hardware to pair with the software...we need a good colorimeter and spectrum analyzer in the market to do a proper calibration job to take full advantage of HDR content.

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 21:08 »
Well i believe the person should see it for himself before deciding which one to go for than hearing other's opinion....cause after he brought he need to live with it for years so debate this is useless in the sense.... it's like asking a audiophile to compare speakers i may find A speaker better but another person might find B better but in the end all it's just come out to personal's taste or need.......anyways I choose 360ES so i gonna live with it...maybe next time i think of upgrade then will go test out others

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 21:16 »
Well i believe the person should see it for himself before deciding which one to go for than hearing other's opinion....cause after he brought he need to live with it for years so debate this is useless in the sense.... it's like asking a audiophile to compare speakers i may find A speaker better but another person might find B better but in the end all it's just come out to personal's taste or need.......anyways I choose 360ES so i gonna live with it...maybe next time i think of upgrade then will go test out others

Yep that's correct when it comes to projector purchase...seeing is believing. Furthermore, to realize the full potential of the projector itself, you need proper calibration...but that's another topic altogether. VW360Es is a good projector and I believe you will enjoy it :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 21:21 »
bro, just want to have fun together to hear everyone opinion, even a debate or discussion. if not this forum will be like dead town. more discussion more we can learn. vote is not a big deal but just an agenda here hope for everyone to participate. every vote also count. support a bit la.  :)

I have goosebumps when I read these lines from a member...for years, I have been trying to tell members about this mindset and its warms my heart to hear from a member saying it for the first time :)

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 22:26 »

Yes, agree with you. It is better to see it ourself but most of them come to projector, not all model available in demo. Just like Samsung QLED even their chart in HDR is out but i really like the vibrant color in Samsung TV.  I seen Sony laser the 760 model which i really find it stunning and how realistic the color is but no dark scene is demo.

Yet after keep read here and there, i start to see the trend now is towards HDR. Projector will always weak in HDR as the low count of nit will never show case the potential of HDR like TV such as QLED that have 2000nit or LCD TV have 1000nit. But for TV over 85” we all know the crazy price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 22:33 »
Yep that's correct when it comes to projector purchase...seeing is believing. Furthermore, to realize the full potential of the projector itself, you need proper calibration...but that's another topic altogether. VW360Es is a good projector and I believe you will enjoy it :)

Talk about calibration, after did 2 times of the calibration, i give up. Very tedious. Ha ha.

And lamp based need calibrate every 1000 hour. But read Sony can auto calibrate back the brightness which is good feature and sony stock color is also quite good from beginning. Thats why Sony still in my consideration list. Yet the 8 bit thing in 4k 60hz source and low lumen compare to Other is the one stop me now. Not sure if will be dim for HDR. After calibrated the lumen shd be drop to around 1250.

There other one also some review shown the color moire in Sony which also annoys me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 12:16 »
Hi,

Just to share I currently owned JVC X5900. Previously is Sony HW40es. PQ jump is huge. However to fully realize JVC contrast and black level you need a bat cave.
  Have looked into Sony 4K offerings but since my main application is movie and in a bat cave, the more competitively priced JVC is my preference. Btw only the 360es with the dynamic iris is a closer to JVC in black level.

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 12:50 »
Just to share from some1 who has actually used Sony 4k  and JVC shift :

"I m no jvc evangelist and in fact I believe I’m uniquely qualified to express my opinion more than most because I own both a jvc and a Sony projector hooked up, working side by side, and the reason I have two projector is due to the strengths and wrakenesses of each. No one should be trying to argue here that jvc doesnt have a massive benefit in contrast and blacks. No one should be trying to argue that Sony isn’t definitely sharper.

The 285es blacks were (unfortunately) quite poor which is why I paid a lot more money and traded my 1 month old 285es for a 675es. The contrast on the 675es was notably better but blacks are blacker on the jvc and whites are whiter on the jvc. Enough so that I re-bought another jvc and run it for movies/tv where you can’t really tell the benefit from 4K resolution. Indeed the difference between a 675es (and by extension all lower models) and a jvc was so severe that I spent $5k on a jvc to sit along side my Sony.

That doesn’t make me a jvc evangelist as I still own and use a Sony for gaming. The jvc just gets destroyed by the Sony 4K when it comes to games.

Offline Amon86

• Snr Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 13:31 »
Actually 4k blurays like the Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II does show the power of 4K very clearly if you are using native than pixel shift....if you are watching those remaster to 4KDI content or 2K contents then you can't tell the differences

Blue Planet II capture by iphone

Concert bluray 1080p Upscaling to 4K by Oppo 205