Author Topic: Oppo 20x Dolby Vision beta firmware testing on Sony ZD9 and LG C7 OLED  (Read 984 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Rather than cross posting all over the place, I thought I'd just put my thoughts in one place.

First things first - Dolby Vision on UHD finally works on the Sony X1 Xtreme TVs

I already had the Oppo 205 connected to the LG C7 so I did my testing there first.

I had already watched Black Panther on the Oppo 203 and Sony VPL 760ES and honestly I was so disappointed with how the black levels looked. But on the LG C7, it was gorgeous. Lots of shadow detail and beautiful black levels.

Next I tested Star Trek (non DV) converted to Dolby Vision by the Oppo to the C7 and then then passed it as HDR direct to the C7. IMHO the non converted HDR looked best. In the opening Paramount stars across the water, there seemed to be more detail in the trees in the forest. But for the bright scenes, I can't say I noticed a big difference

Then I brought the Oppo 205 to the Sony ZD9. Black Panther looked almost just as good as on the C7. But the black levels was not as good as on the ZD9. Not a lot in there but noticeable. When I converted Star Trek HDR10 to DV on the Sony, this time I didn't notice as big a difference in the shadow detail of the trees in the opening credits of the disc.

Finally I plugged the Panasonic UB900 back to the Sony ZD9. And now Black Panther looked just as bad as on my Sony 760ES. Blacks looked washed out. In the Busan scene, the pop on the neon and signboards didn't seem as noticeable.

So my initial thoughts are that Oppo has delivered on their deal. But I am now not convinced that Dolby Vision is really all it is hyped out to be. Yes when DV is enabled on the display and player, it looks amazing - but when you play the same material on a non DV set up, the blacks and greys just aren't all that impressive. And I know it isn't a limitation of the system. I have seen non DV discs provide inky blacks on the Sony ZD9 and on my 760ES but these DV discs including Spiderman and Black Panther have been disappointing.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Dolby Vision (DV) is not very well implemented in many players...that is a fact. Dolby needs to work closely together with 4K UHD bluray player manufacturers to work the kinks out. Even the Sony X700 4k UHD player with the recent DV update also screwed up many things. What's supposed to be shown in SDR mode or HDR10 also presented in DV mode. Watch out for HDR10+ which is going to compete against the DV in the near future...HDR10+ should be more player/hardware friendly since it is supported by a consortium of manufacturers like Samsung, LG etc.

Offline Doggie Howser

I am not just talking about DV implementation - like raised black floor etc.

But the way the PQ suffers when you play a DV disc on a non-DV system.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
I am not just talking about DV implementation - like raised black floor etc.

But the way the PQ suffers when you play a DV disc on a non-DV system.
Yep I know what u meant...in short, consumers will simply have to put up with the glitches on this HDR and DV stuff...as it slowly starting to find its way to the peripherals like 4K UHD Bluray players, media players, streamers, Xbox One X etc...the displayed quality currently marred by the peripheral components in the video chain...it will get better but its going to take time. Those manufacturers that is able to make it work going to exit...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Doggie Howser

Yeah it is a shame.

I remember testing Spiderman Homecoming on the JVC X9500 alongside the Sony 760ES. And I know there is no way I should be getting grey-ish blacks on the JVC but there it was. Virtually identical on the JVC DILA as it was on the 760ES.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Yeah it is a shame.

I remember testing Spiderman Homecoming on the JVC X9500 alongside the Sony 760ES. And I know there is no way I should be getting grey-ish blacks on the JVC but there it was. Virtually identical on the JVC DILA as it was on the 760ES.
Thanks for sharing...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Doggie Howser

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/12/06/oppo-4k-blu-ray-players-to-get-surprise-new-feature/#59fc1cc6950f

Well done Oppo, well done!

This is the Oppo we know and love.

Oppo 20x gets new firmware to play HDR10+!!
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Fantastic news ! HDR10+ is superb! With the tone mapping and dynamic metadata, very good improvement over HDR10

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/12/06/oppo-4k-blu-ray-players-to-get-surprise-new-feature/#59fc1cc6950f

Well done Oppo, well done!

This is the Oppo we know and love.

Oppo 20x gets new firmware to play HDR10+!!

Wow this I didn't expect...It makes Oppo the most versatile 4K UHD player of all time. Too bad, I sold off mine.