Author Topic: Cable lifters  (Read 9449 times)

Offline mousike

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cable lifters
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 22:09 »
I confess that I too use lifters but of nonferrous material...

It does keep the wires neatly routed and prevent dust piling up over time. Sound wise IMHO there are many other areas worth more attention and I would put my $$$ in speakers, electronics, PC/IC, power supply, etc...this would be one of very last.

For the fun of it, I saw this  ;D

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 23:23 »
that is so silly...  ;D
ProJect Q.

Offline mousike

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 00:27 »
that is so silly...  ;D
It is...but I am also curious if a blind A/B can tell the difference.

BadEnglish

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 00:30 »
It is...but I am also curious if a blind A/B can tell the difference.

If you have trained your hearing, of course , you can.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 00:50 »

mine anytime better. i still got some spare... anybody interested pm me.
ProJect Q.

Offline mousike

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 04:10 »
If you have trained your hearing, of course , you can.

Haha...I may or may not hear any difference but I doubt it has anything to do with training. My point is about diminishing returns...anyway enjoy!

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 08:10 »

It does keep the wires neatly routed and prevent dust piling up over time. Sound wise IMHO there are many other areas worth more attention and I would put my $$$ in speakers, electronics, PC/IC, power supply, etc...this would be one of very last.

In fact, you just might be the smartest among the lot in this thread ;D

Those touting the titanium lifters don't seem to have a clue that it's a paramagnetic material, i.e. it forms internal magnetic fields induced from nearby applied magnetic fields such as current carrying cables - pretty silly to be using it as a cable lifter, especially so much of it touching the cable some more!!

Demonstrates the power of pseudo-science salesmen :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

BadEnglish

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 08:32 »
Haha...I may or may not hear any difference but I doubt it has anything to do with training. My point is about diminishing returns...anyway enjoy!

In my experience,  I'll notice any small change,  liking or not is second,  to my system.  Be it a moving a painting on the wall. It's lot more easy,  when the system is able to reproduce in high fidelity and one's hearing is trained.

Then there is return of investment. If one likes the change and it's priced within one's affordability, then it's worth investing else even if it were free and one doesn't like the change , there nothing.

So , be a improvement or affordable , it's the owner of the system to judge, not us.

It's just my view,  and perhaps you have yours. It's not really matter as long as I enjoy the sound my system reproduce,  so do you.

Offline mousike

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 09:31 »
In my experience,  I'll notice any small change,  liking or not is second,  to my system.  Be it a moving a painting on the wall. It's lot more easy,  when the system is able to reproduce in high fidelity and one's hearing is trained.

Then there is return of investment. If one likes the change and it's priced within one's affordability, then it's worth investing else even if it were free and one doesn't like the change , there nothing.

So , be a improvement or affordable , it's the owner of the system to judge, not us.

It's just my view,  and perhaps you have yours. It's not really matter as long as I enjoy the sound my system reproduce,  so do you.

Good for you!

Offline plkk

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 09:55 »
I had a strange experience with GS lifter, early version, while using them under long speaker run. The details and imaging improved noticeably, but there was a shift in tonality towards the bright side. After I put folded slips of paper between the U-channel and the speaker cable so that there was no direct contact between the insulation and metal, tonality went back to normal.
That's an interesting find. Apart from tonality shift, were there any other significant change after you added the slips of paper?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hi-end audio is not about high technology.
It's about design and craftsmanship.
Things aren't expensive, Skill is expensive.

Offline stvc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 10:01 »
In fact, you just might be the smartest among the lot in this thread ;D

Those touting the titanium lifters don't seem to have a clue that it's a paramagnetic material, i.e. it forms internal magnetic fields induced from nearby applied magnetic fields such as current carrying cables - pretty silly to be using it as a cable lifter, especially so much of it touching the cable some more!!

Demonstrates the power of pseudo-science salesmen :)

What about aluminum?

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 10:50 »

Toilet jokes aside. I tried different free improvised lifters under my power cords to make cleaning under the cords easier. I used plastic vitamin bottles, thick walled glass bottles that spices came in, and toilet roll tubes. The toilet rolls came in best. Glass and plastic did affect the tonality ever so slightly. Later on I tried toilet rolls as separators between parallel runs of cords and where they intersected at 90 degrees. Again, the results were positive. Lower noise all round. In my system, paper isolators work best. Plastic, metal and glass add an unwanted sheen. 

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 10:55 »
That's an interesting find. Apart from tonality shift, were there any other significant change after you added the slips of paper?

Nothing major. IMHO lifters make a good system better, but they wont make a bad system good. Paper lining took away the only downside from my set of GS footers. 

Offline mousike

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 11:13 »
Toilet jokes aside. I tried different free improvised lifters under my power cords to make cleaning under the cords easier. I used plastic vitamin bottles, thick walled glass bottles that spices came in, and toilet roll tubes. The toilet rolls came in best. Glass and plastic did affect the tonality ever so slightly. Later on I tried toilet rolls as separators between parallel runs of cords and where they intersected at 90 degrees. Again, the results were positive. Lower noise all round. In my system, paper isolators work best. Plastic, metal and glass add an unwanted sheen.

Absolutely agree on glass and other ferrous material...in my experience it’s not desirable at all.   I think The right type of wood helps too...

Offline ks

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 13:10 »

Good feedback.

Instead of spending money on exotic cable lifters, I'll spend to eat more, nuts more and buy more toilet rolls ;p
TT: Thorens 160Mk3 with Shure M97xe, Scout VPI with Ortofon 2M Blue
Phono amp: CA 640P, **shopping for one**
CDP: Consonance CD120 Linear
Amp: **shopping for one**
Spkrs: Harbeth M20/M30