Author Topic: HSU OR PSA  (Read 1286 times)

Offline P.J.

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: HSU OR PSA
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 00:06 »
I try to increase the gain, but the bass is overwhelming , and my cabinet start to vibrate all around.
My placement also limited.. Right now trying to Plan for FRONT ORISUN , REAR HSU/PSA PORTED..

Currently using floorstander for front/center DALI IKON IK6 MK 2, Rear is Q Acoustic Bookshelf and Elac Atmos Reflection speaker

Your room n sub placement play the most important part.
2 identical sub front LR = good
3 different sub(ur case) = PITA to tune n adjust
4 sub spread out at each corner of the room well tuned = oh i love u bass.

Ur kk has excellent mid bass capability..i will stack another if i were u..
DD12 N QING dynasty are good sub in their own right but mix them together might be the problem...one dual oppose 12' n single 12'...i would go a pair of either with dd12 the obvious choice...pair of dd12 as front LR n kk as NF n u r quite there i believe..

Of cos..above is my humble 2 cts..bass sifu might not agreed.

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43 »
Imo, the issue is 100% placement and and room modes related, and not output related. I have had a pair of 6in bookshelf speakers punch the chest and vibrate the sofa before, this is in my bedroom HT when friend lent a pair of high end bookshelf to test.

My resident subs are a pair of sealed 15s (ultimax 15) and a pair of sealed 12 nearfield midbass. It was a good reminder of just how little output we normally need. A pair of high quality 6in bookshelf had plenty of solid output.

It is very easy and common to lust after that next piece of hardware and think that it will miraculously solve the room setup and placement issue. Chances are it will not, as you already have 2 subs, which can be placed and EQ to smoothen and optimise MLP bass response.

I would recommend placing the kk808 nearfield, even left or right side beside the sofa, if you cannot place directly behind sofa. Or the back corner against the wall. Basically use the orisun and Kk for main setup, and the other single 12 sub for room setup. Get the bass calibrated and EQ optimally. Lots of experience here if you want to learn Rew or a fellow bass guru can help you setup.

Also, you are looking for, and missing, the midbass chest punch. A 15inch sub will not give you that, it gives more low end rumble, which the orisun already has more than enough output.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22 »
My KK sit in my study room, which i didn't place in Living Room, and yes KK is really good, i couldn't place near field, as have two kids running around, will be blocking the passage way , as my sofa sit in the middle.. rear speaker mount at the top rear, front is my floor stander, if you could visualize...

My second sub will be placing behind about 1.5 to 2m away from my MLP

I see. Your hall is quite big...

What do u use the kk for in the room currently? HT also? Which is your main setup

Same sentiments with wech - 1) place your kk nearfield + 2) just use the kk and orisun for your living without the dynasty sub.

Kk when placed properly nearfield gives a very good chest thump.  Or place the kk at the position that u said that is 1.5m away from mlp.

Try and let us know if it is better.

Agreed with royeo that having 3 different subs might make the bass worse. Unless u have means to calibrate, measure and eq the bass.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:30 by sevenz »

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 09:50 »
Currently using KK808, ORISUN DD12 and CHINA DYNASTY 12"SUB,

Use to own Rythmik F15 , dont like the feel, so sold off..

Better to have Best of both world? Possible? one seal one ported

Hi bro, am using the kk808 with the HSU VTF3mk5.

Able to get both thump in the chest as well as the lows.

As bro sevenz mentioned, your subs are already good enough to get both.

Guess maybe more of placement and tuning issues?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:52 by sigurros »

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54 »
Bro,

Looks like tuning and placement issues...with a response graph at MLP will provide more insight of the problems.

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43 »
My KK sit in my study room, which i didn't place in Living Room, and yes KK is really good, i couldn't place near field, as have two kids running around, will be blocking the passage way , as my sofa sit in the middle.. rear speaker mount at the top rear, front is my floor stander, if you could visualize...

My second sub will be placing behind about 1.5 to 2m away from my MLP

Maybe a layout plan would give bros here a better ideal of your setup?

Offline royeo

• Snr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 12:47 »

Your room n sub placement play the most important part.
2 identical sub front LR = good
3 different sub(ur case) = PITA to tune n adjust
4 sub spread out at each corner of the room well tuned = oh i love u bass.

Ur kk has excellent mid bass capability..i will stack another if i were u..
DD12 N QING dynasty are good sub in their own right but mix them together might be the problem...one dual oppose 12' n single 12'...i would go a pair of either with dd12 the obvious choice...pair of dd12 as front LR n kk as NF n u r quite there i believe..

Of cos..above is my humble 2 cts..bass sifu might not agreed.

Ya, you are right, the Qing Sub cannot catch up with orisun ops driver..

Offline royeo

• Snr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 12:50 »
The KK SUB, is mean for my tiny study room, that another setup, guess have to move out from the room and give a shot...

Will update once i have the setup done..

Offline royeo

• Snr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 12:53 »
Imo, the issue is 100% placement and and room modes related, and not output related. I have had a pair of 6in bookshelf speakers punch the chest and vibrate the sofa before, this is in my bedroom HT when friend lent a pair of high end bookshelf to test.

My resident subs are a pair of sealed 15s (ultimax 15) and a pair of sealed 12 nearfield midbass. It was a good reminder of just how little output we normally need. A pair of high quality 6in bookshelf had plenty of solid output.

It is very easy and common to lust after that next piece of hardware and think that it will miraculously solve the room setup and placement issue. Chances are it will not, as you already have 2 subs, which can be placed and EQ to smoothen and optimise MLP bass response.

I would recommend placing the kk808 nearfield, even left or right side beside the sofa, if you cannot place directly behind sofa. Or the back corner against the wall. Basically use the orisun and Kk for main setup, and the other single 12 sub for room setup. Get the bass calibrated and EQ optimally. Lots of experience here if you want to learn Rew or a fellow bass guru can help you setup.

Also, you are looking for, and missing, the midbass chest punch. A 15inch sub will not give you that, it gives more low end rumble, which the orisun already has more than enough output.

Hope this helps.

So in another words, maybe a smaller sub like an 8inch , 10 inch , will give  a better midbass slam, rather than 12 to 15" , more on the low?? ...

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 13:14 »
So in another words, maybe a smaller sub like an 8inch , 10 inch , will give  a better midbass slam, rather than 12 to 15" , more on the low?? ...
Not exactly. Just that the kk808 is specifically designed for midbass. Most subwoofers sold commercially are low bass subs, decent but not particularly good at midbass.

If you read in avsforum, they use pro audio style 15in or 18in  drivers for midbass.

Offline sypderman88

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 13:31 »
Bro,

The best midbass is to use large pro drivers especially on the speakers (at least on the L and R mains) which can handle very high SPL and high sensitivity itself similar to JTR speakers similar to this : http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html
 Downside is that u need a large space...

Offline kennyluck2000

• Snr Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 13:43 »
Maybe you can visit a few of our forum members house and listen to their system. They can explain to you in more detail and how they setup their system. From there you can have a better gauge plus you can also invite us to listen to your system. I am sure a few of our members here are willing help you and give you a better advise after they had listen to your setup and exchange their experience with you.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 13:47 by kennyluck2000 »

Offline royeo

• Snr Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 16:24 »
I bought another DD12  ( in fact 2 DD12) . Dont want to move the KK out, as it sit nicely in my study room..
Bass response is smoother compare to DD12 + QING DYNASTY 12" SUB VS  2 x DD12

Still trying to tune for a better bass and Re-run Audyssey ..

Offline royeo

• Snr Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 16:26 »
Maybe you can visit a few of our forum members house and listen to their system. They can explain to you in more detail and how they setup their system. From there you can have a better gauge plus you can also invite us to listen to your system. I am sure a few of our members here are willing help you and give you a better advise after they had listen to your setup and exchange their experience with you.

Ya wish too, but my schedule is very tight.. Will arrange if possible..

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 22:47 »
I bought another DD12  ( in fact 2 DD12) . Dont want to move the KK out, as it sit nicely in my study room..
Bass response is smoother compare to DD12 + QING DYNASTY 12" SUB VS  2 x DD12

Still trying to tune for a better bass and Re-run Audyssey ..

Happy that u are getting a better bass response

Good choice bro. Multiple (and identical subs) dd12s should give u quite good sq. Just try to make sure they are in phase so that the bass hits at the same time.

Also, would strongly advise to leave the qing out of the whole setup altogether and dont put it back in. It might "pull down" the bass sq. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 22:50 by sevenz »