Author Topic: Sony TV show Yellow tinted colour when play HDR content  (Read 458 times)

Offline Funkyjazz

• Trade Count: (+1)
Just to check all brothers who use Sony TV, do you experience the TV colour changes to a slight yellow tinted when playing 4K HDR content? Is this a common problem to all brands of TV when playing HDR content.
My Sony X85C play normal 4K fine, but when HDR content is detected, the screen turn slightly yellowish. I have test both sources from TV built-in Netflix HDR content and also from the Sony X800 player.

I have been corresponding with Sony Singapore technical support and it has been very frustrating as their technical knowledge is limited. Initially they denied there is such a problem. When finally they send their technician to verify on site, they accepted the problem. The disappointing thing is their technician don't have any 4K HDR content to test. They have to use my source to demonstrate the problem. The following are their official reply:

Under certain 4K playback condition from USB, HDMI or even online streaming, the picture mode is locked and cannot be adjusted (e.g. Vivid, Standard). This option is used to fit a wider colour range and hence the image will seems yellowish.This feature is within specification of the TV and it cannot be repaired or adjusted.

As such, management has proposed the option of refund to you. Please also take note that other 4K Sony BRAVIA television also has similar feature, Hene I would suggest that you may consider should you wish to purchase a 4K Sony BRAVIA television in future.

Anyone encounter same issue as me? I am considering other brands, will I face the same problem?

Offline kenshin07

Re: Sony TV show Yellow tinted colour when play HDR content
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14 »
Hi bro, mine is the x85e model but i do not see any yellowish tinted color while playing 4k hdr from both netflix and uhd disc.

I am using standard mode all the while as i find it to suit me more. Have you tried adjusting the color a little bit. Or try other pic mode to see if the problem still persist.

If really no choice get the refund and purchase another tv. Is your sony warranty 3 years?
JVC X500 | Denon 4520 | Aragon 8008BB, diy class A/B | Rotel 985 (surround) | Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | FV15HP, 2 x KK 808 | Oppo UHD 203 | AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC

Stereo
ProAc Tablette reference eight
Leo Research integrate tube amp LA-132B
Marantz CD6004

Offline Funkyjazz

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 11:18 »
The problem only happen when playing 4K HDR content. Normal blu ray or 4K is fine. I did try adjusting the colour/mode but does not help. The tinted yellow colour can be seen on the information bar that show the screen resolution eg  3840 x 2160; HDMI 2 etc. So its nothing to do with the picture colour setting.

If you confirm x85e don't have this issue, maybe the fault is at my set only. However, Sony technical support doesn't seem to have a 4k HDR content which they can do any factory test. It is very disappointing that they decided the easy way out my refund me. Their explanation is also very questionable.

Offline Audiolab

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 13:10 »
If you get a full refund, might not be a bad thing since you can then use the money and "upgrade" to the newer F series from Sony if you still want to support this brand.

If not, use the money to get the newer 2018 models from Competitors like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc.

The problem only happen when playing 4K HDR content. Normal blu ray or 4K is fine. I did try adjusting the colour/mode but does not help. The tinted yellow colour can be seen on the information bar that show the screen resolution eg  3840 x 2160; HDMI 2 etc. So its nothing to do with the picture colour setting.

If you confirm x85e don't have this issue, maybe the fault is at my set only. However, Sony technical support doesn't seem to have a 4k HDR content which they can do any factory test. It is very disappointing that they decided the easy way out my refund me. Their explanation is also very questionable.

Offline Funkyjazz

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 13:19 »
If you get a full refund, might not be a bad thing since you can then use the money and "upgrade" to the newer F series from Sony if you still want to support this brand.

If not, use the money to get the newer 2018 models from Competitors like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc.

I was thinking of getting the newer F series, but since Sony official reply claimed that all Sony Bravia TV will face the same problem, I am now having second thought.
That is the purpose I started this post to check whether mine is an isolated case.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 13:32 »
A simple way to check is to make your way to a big retailer who carry Sony and have access to wifi on their tv. Log in to your Netflix account/ Prime Video and stream on the spot. A retailer will also have multiple Sony models, so you can get your answer this way by seeing for yourself.

Alternatively is to wait for feedback and seems like so far, based on 1, there is no issue with the Sony TV.

With the X85C being a 2015 model and they are giving a full refund, I will not hesitate to get it immediately! Even if the new Sony's have the same issue, you are already getting an upgrade in terms of performance going from C to F series.

I was thinking of getting the newer F series, but since Sony official reply claimed that all Sony Bravia TV will face the same problem, I am now having second thought.
That is the purpose I started this post to check whether mine is an isolated case.

Offline Funkyjazz

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 14:44 »
A simple way to check is to make your way to a big retailer who carry Sony and have access to wifi on their tv. Log in to your Netflix account/ Prime Video and stream on the spot. A retailer will also have multiple Sony models, so you can get your answer this way by seeing for yourself.

Alternatively is to wait for feedback and seems like so far, based on 1, there is no issue with the Sony TV.

With the X85C being a 2015 model and they are giving a full refund, I will not hesitate to get it immediately! Even if the new Sony's have the same issue, you are already getting an upgrade in terms of performance going from C to F series.

Agreed with you. I will wait for a few days, if no one else share this same problem, I will get a refund.

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 15:04 »
Remember to check with Sony how the refund works. Will they refund in cash or vouchers. If you need to buy only from Sony retail shop with vouchers without discount, that can cost an arm and a leg.......

Agreed with you. I will wait for a few days, if no one else share this same problem, I will get a refund.

Offline Funkyjazz

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 15:13 »
Remember to check with Sony how the refund works. Will they refund in cash or vouchers. If you need to buy only from Sony retail shop with vouchers without discount, that can cost an arm and a leg.......

Thanks for the advice.

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 15:49 »
I am also thinking of upgrading to Sony 4k TV but now...... think will go for LG instead.

Offline shk

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 17:36 »

Are you saying the wordings on the information bar is yellowish instead of white? Can post some photos?

Offline Funkyjazz

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 18:39 »
Are you saying the wordings on the information bar is yellowish instead of white? Can post some photos?
Yes, the wording turn yellowish when detected HDR content. Basically the whole screen turn yellowish tinted. The yellowish is slightly, but with white background; its very obvious.

Offline kenshin07

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 20:01 »
Best is to post some photo, so more can chip in.
JVC X500 | Denon 4520 | Aragon 8008BB, diy class A/B | Rotel 985 (surround) | Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | FV15HP, 2 x KK 808 | Oppo UHD 203 | AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC

Stereo
ProAc Tablette reference eight
Leo Research integrate tube amp LA-132B
Marantz CD6004

Offline shk

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 22:30 »
Just to check all brothers who use Sony TV, do you experience the TV colour changes to a slight yellow tinted when playing 4K HDR content? Is this a common problem to all brands of TV when playing HDR content.
My Sony X85C play normal 4K fine, but when HDR content is detected, the screen turn slightly yellowish. I have test both sources from TV built-in Netflix HDR content and also from the Sony X800 player.

I have been corresponding with Sony Singapore technical support and it has been very frustrating as their technical knowledge is limited. Initially they denied there is such a problem. When finally they send their technician to verify on site, they accepted the problem. The disappointing thing is their technician don't have any 4K HDR content to test. They have to use my source to demonstrate the problem. The following are their official reply:

Under certain 4K playback condition from USB, HDMI or even online streaming, the picture mode is locked and cannot be adjusted (e.g. Vivid, Standard). This option is used to fit a wider colour range and hence the image will seems yellowish.This feature is within specification of the TV and it cannot be repaired or adjusted.

As such, management has proposed the option of refund to you. Please also take note that other 4K Sony BRAVIA television also has similar feature, Hene I would suggest that you may consider should you wish to purchase a 4K Sony BRAVIA television in future.

Anyone encounter same issue as me? I am considering other brands, will I face the same problem?

Do not understand what Sony meant when they said cannot adjust picture mode under HDR. It should be able to adjust, at least mine can. Understand 85D model default to "warm" in HDR mode which most owners just switch to other colour mode to remove or reduce the yellow tint under warm setting. However if under DV mode, the picture mode cannot be adjusted.