Author Topic: PSI Active Bass Trap  (Read 13585 times)

Online Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Re: PSI Active Bass Trap
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 17:00 »
Had check with Sound Affair quoted for promotion price is $3.6k

Wow.
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 21:49 »

Luckily i was fast, grabbed one used unit at $2.8k at the sales section. I know the quality it brings to my set up, especially on the <60hz region down to 20hz, priceless

If you move to a new apartment or place, you can bring it along to your new room, no need to worry about WAF. Its there to stay like say, forever..... Not sure why seller sold it.

Really very ex for new......  :'(, maybe can do group buy with Sound Affairs

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 22:01 »
Yes the bass vibration energy had shorten is where it lost that feel.....  8)
Maybe we don't place the Active Bass Trap at the location where it's most effective, but instead place it wheres the bass is best feel for you....

You must place it where it is most effective. I have done the "Home Work" as above, the way to do this is first identify the modal frequencies in the room. I would focus on those <60hz as this is very hard to solve with passive traps as the waves are longer and it gets very difficult to trap standing waves down those frequencies. Once you have identified it, place the active bass traps there. Only then we use EQ to flatten the peaks, by using EQ, it will further bring down the decay times by attenuating gain, but not so much gain attenuated because the excessive energy is already being trapped by the PSI before EQ. This is where the Punch and Details come in at the same time......That is how you use this device effectively... remember and read carefully, the goal is not to absorb all the energy, you will notice that i keep stressing the word "uniformity". It is the uniformity in bass decay times that we are after.....

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 22:53 »
we need an MO for the PSI bass traps  ;D ;D

Offline kennyluck2000

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 00:37 »
You must place it where it is most effective. I have done the "Home Work" as above, the way to do this is first identify the modal frequencies in the room. I would focus on those <60hz as this is very hard to solve with passive traps as the waves are longer and it gets very difficult to trap standing waves down those frequencies. Once you have identified it, place the active bass traps there. Only then we use EQ to flatten the peaks, by using EQ, it will further bring down the decay times by attenuating gain, but not so much gain attenuated because the excessive energy is already being trapped by the PSI before EQ. This is where the Punch and Details come in at the same time......That is how you use this device effectively... remember and read carefully, the goal is not to absorb all the energy, you will notice that i keep stressing the word "uniformity". It is the uniformity in bass decay times that we are after.....

Ron, Is it ok for me to visit your place and audit this active bass trap.... is very interesting

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 08:46 »
Hi Kenny, sure, I’m available on the 29th April , u can drop by, I’ll send you a PM separately. Very interesting device that caught my attention too, that’s why I’m sharing here... I prefer actual listening and then confirming with measurement. This product is not cheap, had to be sure before I spend that $$

Offline 3eb

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 12:27 »
I’m interested for the audition as well . Can I join in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 13:26 »
Hi Kenny, sure, I’m available on the 29th April , u can drop by, I’ll send you a PM separately. Very interesting device that caught my attention too, that’s why I’m sharing here... I prefer actual listening and then confirming with measurement. This product is not cheap, had to be sure before I spend that $$

Thanks Ron 

Offline threelittlepig

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 13:32 »

Wah so expensive, no good must also say good lah heehee  ;D

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 13:52 »
I’m interested for the audition as well . Can I join in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sure, anyone else keen to check out the PSI active bass trap just pm me, so ill consolidate and arrange for demo timing on 29th Apr18. Ill also show you how to measure them and how you can place this device effectively in your room, and what it brings to the experience when turned on and turned off. We can also see how effective are the passive bass traps. I have two large corner traps like these https://auralaid.com/product/corner-trap/ at home, so we can see what it is doing.....

i dont work for sound affairs nor selling anything on behalf. So dont ask me for pricing, gotta check with SA direct.

WARNING:very poisonous

Offline Au

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 07:32 »
Hi there I am keen on the demo

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 19:59 »
Just wondering if 2 sub set at out of phrase may also mimic some of the bass cancelation effect of the PSI units - essentially the PSI units have a built in mic to determine frequency and to set the driver unit to "cancel" those sound pressure built up. The subs would come in at cheaper price points.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2018, 10:02 »
Just wondering if 2 sub set at out of phrase may also mimic some of the bass cancelation effect of the PSI units - essentially the PSI units have a built in mic to determine frequency and to set the driver unit to "cancel" those sound pressure built up. The subs would come in at cheaper price points.

Yes you are correct, that can be done. That can have a similar effect. Meaning, the amplitude response at a given freq is therefore reduced. There is difference between reducing the amplitude response, and maintaining output gain but absorbing excessive energy in the room.

What the 2 subs approach does is reduce the gain by cancelling that given freq from the beginning. Meaning the nulls created by the subs causes the gain to be reduced at source itself. As you can see that gain is correlated to decay times, if that null is created and gain is reduced, so will the decay times.

For the PSI, it works differently, the gain from the subs remains, and when the energy from the subs sweeps past you, it accumulates, mostly at the trihedral corners or places where it is hard to dissipate. This is where bass traps comes in, you trap the excessive energy or standing waves accumulated. The lower the freq, the longer the wavelength, hence the bigger the bass trap it should be to trap that long wave.

In short, you are comparing this.

Dual sub approach --> to smoothen amplitude response cut peaks--> reduced gain--> improved decay times

PSI doing this
PSI On --> Absorbs excessive Energy accumulated--> Dual sub approach --> to smoothen amplitude response but only cuts necessary peaks--> reduced gain--> improved decay times

That is why it is important to look at not only the Amplitude/Freq response, but also the decay times. Both method works as you can see that when gain is reduced, so will decay times. But the approach is different and the resulting T60 times of the modal frequencies are greatly improved with psi on, standing waves in the room eliminated if placed at the right location.

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 16:37 »

You need a measurement software and a subwoofer with PEQ/continuous phase control function to do that.

Measure the lowest (or stronger)room mode at the subwoofer location > set the PEQ to that frequency > Adjust subwoofer volume , Phase control and the Q factor by looking at the real time analysis graph.

The different is this active bass trap do it automatically.

Offline kennyluck2000

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 01:10 »
Thanks Ronildoq for the invitation on the Active bass trap demo. Your brief explanation on how to effectively place the bass trap with the help of SPL meter & software to capture and trim the specific range of bass peak & standing wave... 8) 8) 8) cool.... 8) 8) 8)