Author Topic: Best HT Setup with Projector for Room Size of 4000L x 4500W x 2950H  (Read 4426 times)

Offline slimfish

• Trade Count: (0)
i run 8 speakers on the ceiling using my Onkyo, n i don't have any problems discerning where the sound comes from..
n onkyo uses "ACCU EQ" nothing fancy to tell u the truth...
it jus does its intended job... Period..

Not decided which AVR. Not my priority atm. :)

8 speakers... nice. 

Deciding how any speakers. And if I should go 7?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
My earnest advice for you...look at what your room tells you. Once you truly "understand" your own room (dimension and practicality of implementation), you can decide on the gears (how many speakers to drive for optimum results...quantity doesn't equate quality).

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
...quantity doesn't equate quality).

Agree. Very good advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000

Offline slimfish

TS, this is my recommendation:

PJ: Optoma UHD $3000
Screen: elite screen tab tension motorized 100" $800 (I use this personally cause I have full height Windows so no fixed screen)
Avr: Last gen Atmos enabled Onkyo etc about $1k budget second hand
Speakers: Svs prime 5 speaker set $1900
Atmos speakers: 2 pairs svs elevation $1400
Subwoofers: 1 pair Svs sb-1000 $2000

Total $10100 before adding in cables (Just use Belden cables should be enough for now)
Just nice your budget of 8-10k. The speakers you might want to upgrade in future but this should tide you over since you don't have existing HT components to utilise. PJ screen will be cheaper if you used fixed screen and buy from Amazon. Optoma PJ also buy from Amazon. Good enough liao.

Thanks Yanwei

Any reason why you suggest SVS elevation over in-ceiling speaker?

Also what are the projector and screen options from Amazon worth considering? Thks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:59 by slimfish »

Offline P.J.

My earnest advice for you...look at what your room tells you. Once you truly "understand" your own room (dimension and practicality of implementation), you can decide on the gears (how many speakers to drive for optimum results...quantity doesn't equate quality).

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Hats off...the most honest advice so far..

TS, u got a decent size room, u got also the advantage of buliding ur dream HT from sketch..so if u r chasing anywhere near audio nirvana...its not even about what gear u have in the first place..the best gear might jus sound good but definitely not its best in a room with zero treatment. In order for watever ur gear to sound its best...it starts with your room first..

Sound will reflect..
Sound will leak..
Sound will cancel each other at certain point..

Take ur time, dun rush..read up..ask around.. do it once n get ur room right first...im almost certain that it will be well rewarded..have fun!

Above mentioned above is my 2 cts worth of humble opinion...cheers

Offline slimfish

Hats off...the most honest advice so far..

TS, u got a decent size room, u got also the advantage of buliding ur dream HT from sketch..so if u r chasing anywhere near audio nirvana...its not even about what gear u have in the first place..the best gear might jus sound good but definitely not its best in a room with zero treatment. In order for watever ur gear to sound its best...it starts with your room first..

Sound will reflect..
Sound will leak..
Sound will cancel each other at certain point..

Take ur time, dun rush..read up..ask around.. do it once n get ur room right first...im almost certain that it will be well rewarded..have fun!

Above mentioned above is my 2 cts worth of humble opinion...cheers

I agree... hence I have not ask on what speakers yet... I am deciding on the set up first...

I am thinking that surround speakers should be perpendicular/ 90 degrees to your ears and behind.

Hence I can’t use wall speakers due to carpentry. Looking of going with either 4 or 2 surround speakers (speakers on speaker stand for surround(side) and rear surround).

Thoughts:

1) Based on the setup above, would 7.1 speakers sound a lot better than 5.1?

2) looking to use 4 Atmos speakers, 2 in front and in-line to front speakers or slightly inside towards center. 2 more Atmos behind seat about 1 feet away from rear wall of 4 m to front. Inline with front Atmos speakers.

3) What are the AVR that can power 11 channels (for 7.1.4) how much do they cost vs 9 channels($2000?) ? Worth the cost upgrade?

Else if using 9 channels AVR, which sounds better, 7.1.2 or 5.1.4?

Thoughts on the above?

Thks :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 14:32 by slimfish »

Offline yanwei

• Trade Count: (+3)
Thanks Yanwei

Any reason why you suggest SVS elevation over in-ceiling speaker?

Also what are the projector and screen options from Amazon worth considering? Thks

Versatile mounting options (Can mount on wall or ceiling) and decent frequency range for ceiling/surround speakers. And same brand as the 5 speakers below. So easier to match the tone.

Optoma and Epson are worth buying from Amazon. Sony can buy local I think their price gap not too big. This one up to you how much you want to burst your budget.

Screens I have no idea. I just bought elite screens since the reviews like not too bad. And had ezbuy to ship back to Singapore. Cheaper than buying locally. Just had to connect the screen to a 110v transformer. Projector is 100-240v so doesn't matter if you buy from Amazon or local.

If you building from scratch, try to add some room treatment, but this might be costly depending on how you integrate it into your carpentry etc.
Stereo setup: Auralic, Audiobyte, Rockna, Line Magnetic, Pure Audio Project, Ansuz, Western Electric, Shuguang
HT setup: Emotiva, Ken Kriesel, SVS, Sony

Offline itsptw

• Snr Member
https://youtu.be/xIEmZA_ruIg

Hi guys, check out this video, best things about surround is you can't tell where the sound it came from. LOL

Also talking about bass too..

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
https://youtu.be/xIEmZA_ruIg

Hi guys, check out this video, best things about surround is you can't tell where the sound it came from. LOL

Also talking about bass too..

That clip is mentioning about bass integration with your speaker systems...nothing to do with surrounds. For surrounds, it is the complete opposite if you ask me. FWIW I totally agreed with what the guy says about bass. For those who attended my past workshop, what he says should not be alien to you when it comes to subwoofer setup.

Offline itsptw

• Snr Member
That clip is mentioning about bass integration with your speaker systems...nothing to do with surrounds. For surrounds, it is the complete opposite if you ask me. FWIW I totally agreed with what the guy says about bass. For those who attended my past workshop, what he says should not be alien to you when it comes to subwoofer setup.

Sorry, let me rephase, I mean we know the sound are from the back the left or right but the best is to make it difficult for us to feel the sound are out from the speakers box.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Sorry, let me rephase, I mean we know the sound are from the back the left or right but the best is to make it difficult for us to feel the sound are out from the speakers box.

Ok. make the sound seamlessly blend in with the rest of the speaker arrays.

Offline slimfish

Update...

Room size; a width of 4500, this is where the projector screen goes. Length of room is 4000, yes the room is wider than the length. A 2 seater sofa will be about 600 to 900 away from the rear wall. Height is 2950.

Going for either 5.1.4 or 7.1.4. Will be running 4 cables to rear first, and to either use 2 or 4 speakers on stands for surround.

Split will be 50% HT, 50% Music.

Recommendations and thoughts on the following:
1) Hope to achieve 100” or 110” fixed screen. 120” would be great if possible. Lens to screen should be 3600 and seat to screen is 3200. Possible?
2) Projectors to achieve this? Non 4K.
3) Where can I buy a projector bracket? And it is ok to install the bracket at about 3800 from screen first and buy a projector to fit later? Or will each projector have a different distance to screen to achieve say a 110” screen?
4) AVR for 5.1.4 or 7.14.
5) Front LCR bookshelf / floorstand.
6) Recomended distance apart between the front 2 speakers based on this room size?
7) Subwoofer with good bass.
8 ) In-Ceiling speakers for Atmos, 6.5” or 8”?
9) 2 or 4 speakers on stands for surround?
10) Bluray player.

Thks.

Offline slimfish

In my quest for answers above. Would appreciate any recommendation of shops where I could have a listen first hand to compare the following myself to make a call on which to go for.

- 5.1.X vs 7.1.X
- X.1.2 vs X.1.4
- 100” vs 110” Screen for Projector

Many thanks.

Happy Friday!

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
The projector mount, suggest mount as far from screen as possible. Your throw is already at the near end of most HT projector for 110-120in screen. So give it the most distance to work with. Google projector calculator for throw distance calculator for specific models. I know Epson 6600 and 6700 is slightly shorter throw than typical. I'm using 6600 and getting about 100in at 3m throw.

For demo of 5ch and 7 channels surround, and 2ch vs 4ch atmos, there is no shop in Singapore that can match a well optimised and calibrated home setup. Best visit various forumers who have kindly offered. Similarly with 2 sub and 4 sub setup. No getting away from visiting lots of different setup to understand strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons, what is important vs what is not...

The closest decently setup demo room probably sound decisions at adelphi IMO. You can experience big screen projector and dedicated room and 7.3.4 surround. 3 JL audio subs.

Cheers!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 14:04 by wechnivag »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
The projector mount, suggest mount as far from screen as possible. Your throw is already at the near end of most HT projector for 110-120in screen. So give it the most distance to work with. Google projector calculator for throw distance calculator for specific models. I know Epson 6600 and 6700 is slightly shorter throw than typical. I'm using 6600 and getting about 100in at 3m throw.

For demo of 5ch and 7 channels surround, and 2ch vs 4ch atmos, there is no shop in Singapore that can match a well optimised and calibrated home setup. Best visit various forumers who have kindly offered. Similarly with 2 sub and 4 sub setup. No getting away from visiting lots of different setup to understand strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons, what is important vs what is not...

The closest decently setup demo room probably sound decisions at adelphi IMO. You can experience big screen projector and dedicated room and 7.3.4 surround. 3 JL audio subs.

Cheers!

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Can't agreed more...the irony of it all...