Author Topic: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup  (Read 38415 times)

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2018, 17:30 »
Wow! can't believe i watch this for a 2nd time with the X8500H.Although only DTS-HD,Effects are f@&king incredible!

Can elaborate in what way this movie sounds better in the 8500 over the 7200?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2018, 17:36 »

LoL...I'm also interested to know as well. I know sound can be very "subjective".

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2018, 17:41 »
Ditto, I can’t digest the price hike on new Gen AVR itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jan97

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2018, 18:19 »

Its very hard to explain in words, if you are convenient, i still got a extra set of 7200 inside my room, i can do A, B swap.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2018, 18:25 »
Its very hard to explain in words, if you are convenient, i still got a extra set of 7200 inside my room, i can do A, B swap.

Bro, just sum up in a few words will suffice. For instance, the soundstage seems wider? More dynamics in terms of sound steering which helps with the surround sound and also how does object-based sounded as in is it more precise as compared to X7200W...There is actually quite a lot of grounds you can cover by summarizing it...though I have to agree that sound is a very subjective topic. What "sounds good" may not sound right in another person's room. Too many variables from room modes to the types of speakers and crossover used etc...

Offline jan97

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2018, 18:27 »
Every different generation of Denon AVR went through specific sound tuning, this generation of AVR starting with X2400 to X8500 has a different signature as compared to the last ones.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2018, 18:42 »
Every different generation of Denon AVR went through specific sound tuning, this generation of AVR starting with X2400 to X8500 has a different signature as compared to the last ones.

Ok noted. This AVR will definitely be in my top list of HT equipment to purchase for this year.

Offline jan97

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2018, 18:45 »
Bro, just sum up in a few words will suffice. For instance, the soundstage seems wider? More dynamics in terms of sound steering which helps with the surround sound and also how does object-based sounded as in is it more precise as compared to X7200W...There is actually quite a lot of grounds you can cover by summarizing it...though I have to agree that sound is a very subjective topic. What "sounds good" may not sound right in another person's room. Too many variables from room modes to the types of speakers and crossover used etc...

Ok, i try to put in into simpler terms. 1: the Center channel, speech is more well defined, dialog is now clearer. On the x7200, the dialog is not properly defined, i have to strain harder to hear what the speaker is saying, and there is a slight thickening which blurs the dialog.
2: surround: The effects are more pronounced and it seems to me that the sound is more dynamic. I cannot say that the 8500 is ahead in this, but i can confirm that panning of sound from the side surround to the front speakers are more seamless. Heights and Top surround: I noticed that the sound staging is more higher and not as low as the x7200. No speakers relocation , or any variables were introduced.

Offline jan97

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2018, 18:53 »
If you guys have not noticed, previous generation of Denon AVR tends to have "thicker "sound signature. Some may like it, others might not.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 18:57 by jan97 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2018, 19:08 »
Ok, i try to put in into simpler terms. 1: the Center channel, speech is more well defined, dialog is now clearer. On the x7200, the dialog is not properly defined, i have to strain harder to hear what the speaker is saying, and there is a slight thickening which blurs the dialog.
2: surround: The effects are more pronounced and it seems to me that the sound is more dynamic. I cannot say that the 8500 is ahead in this, but i can confirm that panning of sound from the side surround to the front speakers are more seamless. Heights and Top surround: I noticed that the sound staging is more higher and not as low as the x7200. No speakers relocation , or any variables were introduced.

Wow...sound like a totally "new beast" altogether. Definitely worth checking out myself.

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2018, 19:12 »
If you guys have not noticed, previous generation of Denon AVR tends to have "thicker "sound signature. Some may like it, others might not.
That’s interesting to me. I don’t find my 7200WA to produce a thick sound character. May I ask what power cord are you using for your AVR?

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2018, 19:13 »

I agree with you.
I always use two familiar movies before I decide to buy.
One movie has a lot of surround effects and boom boom (Hacksaw Ridge) and the other one must have heavy man vocal (Transformer or Monster call).
Use Hacksaw Ridge. It has busy background ... listen to the dialog... clear or not? (must be the same setting ... usually +2 for C over Audy's calibration number)

A lot of factors will contribute to this, one example will be ext amp match with speakers couple with AVR/AVP as an input.
But I know for sure, AVP has different class... !
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 19:16 by whitesox »

Offline jan97

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2018, 19:14 »

No special power cord, i am using the ones that comes with the set.

Offline Tiktokape

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2018, 19:17 »
No special power cord, i am using the ones that comes with the set.
Thanks for the clarification. I will probably audition it next time when my 7200WA broke down on me. Also for that price, I will rather go for AVP and power amp combo for a better performance though it means bumping the total cost.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2018, 19:17 »
IMO, they did some nice magic here:
With the DSP chipset, the straighter pathway, the power supply and (yet to be confirmed) the video chipset too.
The net result is that there is still some distance from the 7200, which is one thing which concerns a lot of buyers:
Is it worth the outlay over the 7200.
IMO, the 7200 is a good beast, especially at the lower price. Not everyone needs the 8500. Except bro des of course ;)
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html