Author Topic: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup  (Read 36437 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2019, 18:45 »
Is anyone using "wide" speakers?
Any benefits?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #241 on: June 03, 2019, 07:10 »
Is anyone using "wide" speakers?
Any benefits?

It expands your front soundstage horizontally.

Bro Sevenz heard me setup with and without. Maybe he can give a FR. Lol

Offline petetherock

« Reply #242 on: June 03, 2019, 07:47 »
Thanks for the reply bro
Yes that’s the theory

Have you tried it?
I’ve read on some forums that very little info actually reaches them so it may not be worth it to try
Cheers

My gear:

Offline sigurros

« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2019, 08:49 »
Thanks for the reply bro
Yes that’s the theory

Have you tried it?
I’ve read on some forums that very little info actually reaches them so it may not be worth it to try
Cheers
Hi Pete, have been using wides.

As my HT area is wider than depth. 7m x 4m with screen at 7m wall. Thus having back doesn't seems add more also my surround is angled to the MLP at the back wall.

Thus using wides. 

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:04 by sigurros »

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2019, 09:48 »
Simplest way is to pop by bro sigurros place for a listen!

Offline sigurros

« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16 »
Simplest way is to pop by bro sigurros place for a listen!

Haha. Can. But have to arrange for a time.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2019, 19:05 »
In the past, I have tried wide speaker setup before (for those who still remember Audyssey DSX times) and for it to be "effective", you must have the "space" to play with. Too close, to the mains, defeat the purpose as the soundstage may already be wide (due to the placement and the characteristics of the main speakers itself)...my personal experience tells me that Wide speakers will benefit in a living room setup because of the width to play with, otherwise don't waste your time.

Offline badbad2000

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2019, 11:07 »
In the past, I have tried wide speaker setup before (for those who still remember Audyssey DSX times) and for it to be "effective", you must have the "space" to play with. Too close, to the mains, defeat the purpose as the soundstage may already be wide (due to the placement and the characteristics of the main speakers itself)...my personal experience tells me that Wide speakers will benefit in a living room setup because of the width to play with, otherwise don't waste your time.

Agree, the surround effect really need space to optimise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2019, 19:28 »
Possible bug found during Audyssey calibration for Atmos-enabled speakers...?!

I have been playing with the Audyssey calibration all over again for about 3 hrs straight today and I found a bug (at least for the Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker setup). There is "always" (without fail) a drop of 6db for the front Dolby Atmos enabled speakers compared to the rear pair. I have tried umpteen times using the traditional calibration and the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App despite showing the same SPL level of 75db for both pairs. This only occur when we play an actual Dolby Atmos media file...for instance, the helicopter hovering above us is so distinct that I need to re-adjust the levels to make it even. The differential is a whopping 6db!!! WTF!

I wonder anyone have any issue with this? Maybe it is the "new" Dolby Atmos Speaker setup which allows the user to input the distance between the Atmos enabled speakers and the ceiling. The default is set at 1.8m but I have to go to the lowest since my Atmos enabled speakers for both front and rear pair are about 1m from the ceiling. Could this be the "problem" when computing? I seriously doubt so...something is not right with the calibration for reflection speakers. I wonder how can I feedback to the Denon support team? Is it to Audyssey (since the problem appears to be the software) but then again, I also understand the manufacturers have a play in this Audyssey suite in some form or another...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 19:30 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2019, 19:47 »
For those having problem with "bloated" bass when Dynamic EQ (DEQ) is engaged.

Besides disabling the DEQ, you may want to try this:

1) Select one input source - say your media player. Play one media clip containing an Atmos-track. During playback, hit the <Setup> button.
2) Select "Surround Parameter" and you see the following options:
  • Loudness Management - Disabled it by turning it "off". This will also disable Dynamic Compression. If you want the Dial Norm (Dialogue Normalization for Dolby based material), you can choose to turn of "Loudness Management" but disable the Dynamic Compression.
  • Look for "Low Frequency Effects (LFE)". Adjust the slider to say 3db - 5db (maximum step is up to -10db).
The "LFE" settings above allows you to reduce the effects of bloated or muddy bass brought about by DEQ to a more acceptable level, making the whole surround effects more "transparent". Try it and see if it works for you. Use the Dolby "Amaze" track to test out the thunderous sound effect and see if it makes a difference.

Do take note that DEQ and Dynamic Volume are optional but you must "always" use Audyssey MultEQ curve to take advantage of all the whole Audyssey flavours.

The incorporation of Room Gain into DEQ is the "Root Cause"...

The problem with Audyssey DEQ or should I say the "approach" used is somewhat different from other Room EQ where "room gain" has been automatically added into the package using the DEQ method. So when we listen to movies at a level below reference (say -20db), the DEQ will compensate by making adjustments to the surround and LFE to ensure that the move sound mix will not be affected when we are not listening at reference level (i.e. "0" db) but this also creates the problem with "bloated" bass which "masked" the surround effects and making the whole movie too bass-heavy.

Coming from Anthem Room Correction (ARC) Genesis, the room gain is separated from the other channels which makes it easy for user to tame the bass to our personal taste which sets this apart from Audyssey in this regard.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 20:05 by desray »

Online kaydee6

« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2019, 20:44 »
Possible bug found during Audyssey calibration for Atmos-enabled speakers...?!

I have been playing with the Audyssey calibration all over again for about 3 hrs straight today and I found a bug (at least for the Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker setup). There is "always" (without fail) a drop of 6db for the front Dolby Atmos enabled speakers compared to the rear pair. I have tried umpteen times using the traditional calibration and the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App despite showing the same SPL level of 75db for both pairs. This only occur when we play an actual Dolby Atmos media file...for instance, the helicopter hovering above us is so distinct that I need to re-adjust the levels to make it even. The differential is a whopping 6db!!! WTF!

I wonder anyone have any issue with this? Maybe it is the "new" Dolby Atmos Speaker setup which allows the user to input the distance between the Atmos enabled speakers and the ceiling. The default is set at 1.8m but I have to go to the lowest since my Atmos enabled speakers for both front and rear pair are about 1m from the ceiling. Could this be the "problem" when computing? I seriously doubt so...something is not right with the calibration for reflection speakers. I wonder how can I feedback to the Denon support team? Is it to Audyssey (since the problem appears to be the software) but then again, I also understand the manufacturers have a play in this Audyssey suite in some form or another...

You could ping j_at_audyssey at avsforum regarding this phenomenon. He's with Audyssey.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2019, 21:37 »
You could ping j_at_audyssey at avsforum regarding this phenomenon. He's with Audyssey.

Thanks bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2019, 18:06 »
After playing with the various settings on the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app as well as the AVR settings for the last 12 hrs or so...I have finally tuned the sound to my liking...and now it is at least on par with my Anthem MRX-720. I will be sharing some of my tips on some of the settings for both the Editor app (it is a must-have imo, sadly, it didn't come as a free package) and the settings on the X8500H itself tmr. Frankly, I am rather pleasantly by the sonic performance of this X8500H when paired with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, except for the *bug* I have mentioned in my earlier posts.

;)

Online kaydee6

« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2019, 18:22 »
After playing with the various settings on the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app as well as the AVR settings for the last 12 hrs or so...I have finally tuned the sound to my liking...and now it is at least on par with my Anthem MRX-720. I will be sharing some of my tips on some of the settings for both the Editor app (it is a must-have imo, sadly, it didn't come as a free package) and the settings on the X8500H itself tmr. Frankly, I am rather pleasantly by the sonic performance of this X8500H when paired with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, except for the *bug* I have mentioned in my earlier posts.

;)

Nice, look forward to your setup tip :)

Offline petetherock

« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2019, 18:46 »
👍

My gear: