Author Topic: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup  (Read 22756 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2019, 09:42 »
There are 2 methods to get IMAX Enhanced.
1. Compatible IMAX Enhanced sound-mix. (only 2 titles at the moment)
2. Option to force on IMAX Enhanced when receiver receives DTS lossy (not DTS-HD or DTS-MA)

Personally, the impact of IMAX Enhanced is not only the sound but the fact that 16:9 is a more immersive aspect ratio than that of 2.35.
Interesting
Maybe I can try it on a lossy appletv stream
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline kaydee6

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2019, 09:48 »
Interesting that scenario 2 to force IMAX enhanced mode is only applicable to lossy and not lossless (higher bitrate). Any reason why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea why.
DTS lossy to IMAX Enhanced is a workaround to experience existing titles in IMAX Enhanced.
Check out the video here, Sound United expert recommends this workaround
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycshL-Ng8X4

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2019, 09:52 »
No idea why.
DTS lossy to IMAX Enhanced is a workaround to experience existing titles in IMAX Enhanced.
Check out the video here, Sound United expert recommends this workaround
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycshL-Ng8X4

Then this indeed weird. Dolby Atmos at least not so rigid. It allows DD+ and Dolby TrueHD as baseline for their Dolby Atmos soundmix.

I’m surprised that DTS being the more “flexible” actually is more rigid in its implementation of IMAX enhanced soundmix. Strange indeed. But then again, it maybe IMAX issue? But minimally for DTS lossy soundmix, it better well be 1,536kbps instead of 768kbps.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2019, 09:56 »
It may be an inability of IMAX to handle the bandwidth.

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2019, 10:19 »
It may be an inability of IMAX to handle the bandwidth.

Maybe...but if truly the case, then IMAX Enhanced is only "enhancing" the video aspect of the film and not the audio which they market it to be for "both".

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2019, 10:53 »
IMAX enhanced do not introduce higher bit rate or new audio format. It strives to mimic the IMAX cinemas’ speakers configurations. Here’s the four pillars of imax enhanced content.

The Four Pillars

The IMAX Enhanced program has “four pillars” supporting both specially remastered IMAX content and the equipment needed to play it back at home.

These include the following:

Remastered video using IMAX’s proprietary Digital Media Remastering (DMR) process originally developed for upconverting traditional 35mm films to the 70mm IMAX theater format. The vast majority of movies shown in IMAX theaters today are DMR films.

An enhanced aspect ratio from the 70mm masters that IMAX creates by adjusting and cropping frames to preserve as much of the frame as possible on 16:9 configured home theater displays. The company stresses, this is not pan and scan. It’s much better. For comparison, many 35mm movies and features shot on video today conform to the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. This requires black bars at the top and bottom of the television screen. IMAX Enhanced images will be more squarely configured and should fill the screen without bars framing the image.

A special DTS:X 3D audio soundtrack that has been developed to match as closely as possible the immense surround sound experience produced in IMAX theater speakers. The theaters are famous for making every seat the “sweet spot.” If the promise is delivered, surround sound should include dialog and other effects that appear to come directly from the screen, just as they do from large rear-screen center speakers in an IMAX theater.

IMAX-exclusive content, presented through the IMAX Mode on IMAX Enhanced Certified equipment, will be a big part of the experience. A small library of feature films today are shot on 70mm IMAX cameras, but influential filmmakers like Christopher Nolan are shooting more and more of their projects with 70mm IMAX cameras. Some two-thirds of the shots used in the box office hit Dunkirk used

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2019, 11:00 »
IMAX enhanced do not introduce higher bit rate or new audio format. It strives to mimic the IMAX cinemas’ speakers configurations. Here’s the four pillars of imax enhanced content.

The Four Pillars

The IMAX Enhanced program has “four pillars” supporting both specially remastered IMAX content and the equipment needed to play it back at home.

These include the following:

Remastered video using IMAX’s proprietary Digital Media Remastering (DMR) process originally developed for upconverting traditional 35mm films to the 70mm IMAX theater format. The vast majority of movies shown in IMAX theaters today are DMR films.

An enhanced aspect ratio from the 70mm masters that IMAX creates by adjusting and cropping frames to preserve as much of the frame as possible on 16:9 configured home theater displays. The company stresses, this is not pan and scan. It’s much better. For comparison, many 35mm movies and features shot on video today conform to the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. This requires black bars at the top and bottom of the television screen. IMAX Enhanced images will be more squarely configured and should fill the screen without bars framing the image.

A special DTS:X 3D audio soundtrack that has been developed to match as closely as possible the immense surround sound experience produced in IMAX theater speakers. The theaters are famous for making every seat the “sweet spot.” If the promise is delivered, surround sound should include dialog and other effects that appear to come directly from the screen, just as they do from large rear-screen center speakers in an IMAX theater.

IMAX-exclusive content, presented through the IMAX Mode on IMAX Enhanced Certified equipment, will be a big part of the experience. A small library of feature films today are shot on 70mm IMAX cameras, but influential filmmakers like Christopher Nolan are shooting more and more of their projects with 70mm IMAX cameras. Some two-thirds of the shots used in the box office hit Dunkirk used

You never add this bit for the sound...

In optimizing sound for the home, IMAX theaters use 5.0, 11.0, or 12.0 format setups, with a “roll-off” subwoofer, instead of a discrete sub, Marco said. They also use “point-source surrounds,” which he described as “more of what you have in a consumer’s home” than conventional cinemas. IMAX turned to DTS to help translate that theatrical experience over to home theater gear.

“DTS is able to perform at the highest levels, and with the DTS:X codec you can have many different speaker configurations and the sound will still be quite impressive,” explained Kevin Doohan, Xperi/DTS CMO and executive VP.

Source: https://restechtoday.com/imax-enhanced-certification/

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2019, 12:28 »
You never add this bit for the sound...

In optimizing sound for the home, IMAX theaters use 5.0, 11.0, or 12.0 format setups, with a “roll-off” subwoofer, instead of a discrete sub, Marco said. They also use “point-source surrounds,” which he described as “more of what you have in a consumer’s home” than conventional cinemas. IMAX turned to DTS to help translate that theatrical experience over to home theater gear.

“DTS is able to perform at the highest levels, and with the DTS:X codec you can have many different speaker configurations and the sound will still be quite impressive,” explained Kevin Doohan, Xperi/DTS CMO and executive VP.

Source: https://restechtoday.com/imax-enhanced-certification/

Yes that’s it. Also, crossover to sub will be set at 70Hz default but can choose to change if one has a lesser speaker.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2019, 12:36 »
Yes that’s it. Also, crossover to sub will be set at 70Hz default but can choose to change if one has a lesser speaker.

Oh yeah, I'm surprised that it is set at 70Hz by default as well. There is not much literature on this new sound format to say the least...THX recommended 80Hz because of the .1 channel (LFE) but 70Hz is something unique.

I may drop by your place next week weekend to have an experience of this IMAX Enhanced soundmix. Where do you stay?

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2019, 12:51 »
I may drop by your place next week weekend to have an experience of this IMAX Enhanced soundmix. Where do you stay?
I stay in Pasir Ris.
Unfortunately, I do not have the IMAX Enhanced sound mixed discs to demo. And zidoo z9s does not allow me to extract the lossy DTS to force on IMAX Enhanced.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2019, 12:54 »
I stay in Pasir Ris.
Unfortunately, I do not have the IMAX Enhanced sound mixed discs to demo. And zidoo z9s does not allow me to extract the lossy DTS to force on IMAX Enhanced.

It’s fine. Just a visit to experience a fully setup and properly calibrated 8500H then.

To me, IMAX enhanced soundmix is just icing on the cake. Not an absolute necessity for HT imo.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2019, 13:38 »
It’s fine. Just a visit to experience a fully setup and properly calibrated 8500H then.

To me, IMAX enhanced soundmix is just icing on the cake. Not an absolute necessity for HT imo.

Sure. I’ll be available Sunday after 2pm. PM me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 13:53 by kaydee6 »

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2019, 08:13 »
Another review streams in:

“The Denon X8500H is a certified 800-pound immersive audio gorilla. Godzilla in a tux. A phenomenal piece of AV gear.”

Read here:
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/denon-avr-x8500h-13-2-channel-av-receiver-review.4577/

Offline petetherock

« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2019, 18:25 »
AA review:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSk4ylfDRs8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PSk4ylfDRs8&fs=1</a>

My gear: