Author Topic: Denon AVR-X2500H - left front channel suddenly much quieter than right  (Read 592 times)

Offline chunky_lafunga_

• Trade Count: (0)
AVR-X2500H owner here and I've started experiencing a strange issue over the last day.

Currently I have a 2.1 setup.

I noticed yesterday that my left channel was sounding quieter than my right channel. Here are the steps I've taken so far to isolate the issue;

-Restarted the AVR
No luck, left speaker still quieter
-Swapped the speaker wires from the back of the left and right speakers
No luck, left (which now became the right) speaker still quieter

At this point it's clear the speaker is not the issue. Time to test the AVR further;

-Swapped the speaker wires from the back of the left and right channels on the AVR
No luck, left channel is still quieter
-Did a factory reset by pressing Power, Channel+, Channel- simultaneously (did this 10 times). After initializing, I went through setup
No luck, left channel is quieter
-Restored my previously saved settings using the USB load feature
No luck, left channel still quieter

At this point it's clear the left Front channel on the AVR is the issue. To give you an idea, to get the left channel on the same volume as the right, I have to bump up the left Front channel in the Test Tone setup section by +10db! (is this level of trim even safe, temporarily? I know the subwoofer should ideally never go above 0db trim)

This was a brand new AVR old stock which I only got my hands on a few months ago so well out of warranty. Any ideas?

I've read some people say the HDMI board needs to be cleaned as that's a common issue on these Denon's.

Any advice or service/repair shops would be great.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Up till this point, you merely revealed that you have done all physical checks - i.e. swapping speakers, cables and factory reset to the AVR. More importantly, did you do your Audyssey calibration in the first place? If you did, what does the the trim value of your left front speaker tells you? How does it compared to the right speaker.

In fact, share with us more on the AVR setup...we know it is 2.1. Did you engage in Stereo mode or any DSP mode use? Does it happen to 5.1 content downmix to 2.1 etc?

Pls share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:07 by desray »

Offline chunky_lafunga_

Up till this point, you merely revealed that you have done all physical checks - i.e. swapping speakers, cables and factory reset to the AVR. More importantly, did you do your Audyssey calibration in the first place? If you did, what does the the trim value of your left front speaker tells you? How does it compared to the right speaker.

In fact, share with us more on the AVR setup...we know it is 2.1. Did you engage in Stereo mode or any DSP mode use? Does it happen to 5.1 content downmix to 2.1 etc?

Pls share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After doing the factory reset and prior to then going through Audyssey calibration, you may recall the AVR wants to go through it's own initial setup to check what speakers I will be using.

It was during this initial setup where the volume issue on the left channel was still present even after the factory reset (it plays a musical tune to check the speakers are plugged in).

So fair to say I don't think it has anything to do with Audyssey.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:54 by chunky_lafunga_ »

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
Factory reset if done correctly would have cleared all settings.
Probably something internal to the L amplifier... eg. amp module itself, voltage rail, preamp stage, ...

If the AVR has zone2/3, try those zones (L vs. R).
If there is a similar pattern, it could be voltage rail issue since it affects a few modules.
If there is no issue in the other zones, then it could be the L amp module itself or surrounding circuitry.
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline chunky_lafunga_

Factory reset if done correctly would have cleared all settings.
Probably something internal to the L amplifier... eg. amp module itself, voltage rail, preamp stage, ...

If the AVR has zone2/3, try those zones (L vs. R).
If there is a similar pattern, it could be voltage rail issue since it affects a few modules.
If there is no issue in the other zones, then it could be the L amp module itself or surrounding circuitry.

Thanks for the advice. Can you suggest someone I can take it to to be looked at? How is Trusty/Trinity on Kallang Pudding Rd? People seem to suggest them

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
So u r the first owner and you got it relatively new. I assume that this FL speaker problem only happened recently and prior to that, eveything is working fine... The reason I'm asking for the Audyssey trim values is to see if there is any huge deviation between the FL and FR channels. I guess it's working fine before then. If this is the case, the best course of action is to contact the service centre. I believe is Trinity AV Services.

TRINITY AV SERVICES
Blk 1093, Lower Delta Road, #05-04/05,
Singapore 169204
Tel: 62737955
E-Mail: trinityavservices@live.com

Working Hours: Monday – Friday- 9:30am to 6pm, Saturday 9:30am to 12pm, closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline synthesis

Make sure it is not connection issue with the source or problem from the source.

Offline wcseow

The last time my Denon AVR failed, I was directed to Denon service centre in Marsiling (IMS Marketing).

denononlinestore.com/pages/locate-us

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal